Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High end prices for nice vans, is it real or a bubble?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
astaal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Waiting Game Reply with quote

Now is the hardest time to find a bargain. I looked on craigslist for over 9 months. I scored an 87 westy automatic with 3000 miles on a rebuilt motor for $3000. It was April, the ad was for a "westphalia camper" and the pics were fuzzy. I took the risk and drove 90 miles to see it and bought it on the spot. It had been sitting for 3 years so I spent $3000 having Corey Motors change all the fluids, ball joints, hoses ect. Then all new axles and CV joints, 16" wheels and Nokian tires another $3000. So now its a $9k van that runs great and is customized to my tastes. Cheap vans are never cheap, but I knew that going in. As most of us know, we spend money and are always maintaining or improving our vans. The silver lining is that a maintained van wont depreciate and with a new son its awesome changing a diaper on a bed in the van, pulling a cold water outa my portable electric fridge and closing the curtains so momma can nurse.
Bottom line we get what we pay for. Sometimes though sellers see the high prices and try to sell the fixers for the fixed prices. Patience pays off and ya gotta see and drive a lot of vans to really know the difference.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sort of addiction to looking for not only westys, but eurovan campers and rialtas. I'm happy with my van, but just like looking. My husband sometimes thinks he would rather have a eurovan camper so I have looked at them from time to time. they are ok, but quite expensive. both to buy and repair, even compared to a westfalia. they don't feel the same either. most I've seen are in the $20s. then the other day I saw a rialta for sale and took a peek inside. no thanks. the back half (at least of this one) was two twin beds. the kitchen area felt smaller than the westy and one club chair and a little table. the idea of a shower and toilet in a vehicle this size felt silly to me. I'd rather find a shower at a rv park or motel on the road. and if camping, who needs it? and they all have trouble prone automatic transmission.

on our recent trip, we saw lots of really big camping rigs. I suppose for large families who go to a lake for a long stay there is something to be said. but wow, the cost of such rigs added to the amount of time and effort it takes to set up, the size limits so many camping spots, the grey water and black water dumping.....ugh.

we bought our westy in December 08 for $5000. we had looked a long long time for one that met my husbands requirement list. we have done a lot to it, but nothing I've wished we hadn't spent the time or money on.

much of what we did our selves was a learning experience. some of the money we paid to mechanics was a waste because didn't know or care enough to do it right. Finally finding a good vanagon mechanic t we trust has changed a lot for us. mechanical problems are surmountable, we can get help to do it ourselves or know where to take it if we can't.

I think without a doubt mechanical ability or access to a good and honest mechanic who LIKES working on vanagons is a very important consideration in deciding not only how much to pay, but whether or not one buys one at all.

I think the westy is perfect, in size, economy, comfort and fun. It does seem that some sources have higher prices. it looks to me like you can still find nice ones for $10,000+-.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: