Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Plate Length??
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSEBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Spring Plate Length?? Reply with quote

So i was replacing the bushings in the rear torsion of my buggy (what was left of them). Long story short I had a hell of a time getting the spring plates off and wound up destroying them just to get them off. I also couldn't get the torsion bars out to measure them either. Rather than destroying them as well I was wondering If anyone knew which spring plate I needed. I measured the plates and found they are about 6" from the plate itself. I guess I would either need the 24 11/16" spring plates or the 26 9/16 plates.

Its an IRS torsion from a bug(I believe)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Length?? Reply with quote

That is the 26-9/16in long torsion bar.
Try spraying PB Blaster or other rust buster spray into the torsion housing at the inner splines.
You are going to need to be able to remove the torsion bars to set the suspension preload.
What I do to get torsion bars to move in housing is to hit them with using a block of wood and a big hammer. Hit one side until you see some movement inward and then hit other side until you see movement inward. The bars touch inside the housing. Going back and forth should loosen them to were you can get them out.
After I get one out, I then use a long bar (I can hit on) to knock the other torsion bar out.
Using anti-seize on the spline so it will not happen again. Easier to remove at another time.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: