Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Volkswagen Beetle Stalls At Every Stop
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dnunn1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: 1969 Volkswagen Beetle Stalls At Every Stop Reply with quote

I have recently bought a 1969 volkswagen beetle, it was sitting for about 3 years, I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, rear wheel cylinders, rear wheel break shoes, Distributor cap, distributor rotor, and I took the carburetor off and used about 3 cans of carb cleaner to clean it. My step father did a valve adjustment, and adjusted the timing. The bug is having a very hard time trying to idle. It does drive, I drove it around for about an hour but it stalls every time I come to a complete stop. My step father thinks we need to buy a whole new carb, anyone have any ideas of why the bug won't idle? I'm new to this site, AND to Volkswagen beetles, as well as my step father. Any help would me much appreciated, thanks - Dnunn1969
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to actually rebuild the carb first rather than buying a new one. This means getting a carb kit (cheap-get German parts if poss) and taking apart and soaking the carb overnight or so in some kind of solvent. I used lacquer thinner to do mine, then blow it out with compressed air. Just carb cleaner might not get to all the little holes and tunnels in these things probably didn't get anything into the float area which probably has a ton of gunk in it.
Make sure you're really careful when you blow these things out, you'll shoot air in one little port and it will come out from somewhere else...you don't want solvent hitting you in the face!

Is your auto-shutoff soleniod working properly?

Get into the habit of using the search feature as well...this problem comes up alot!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sticking needle valve in the carb can cause your problem. So, can a clogged idle jet and poor tuning.

If yours is original VW, you would be better off doing a proper rebuild than getting a new one.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Realety81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and did all the obvious adjustments to the valves and the timing, didn't work. Turned out the points needed adjustment. Get a feeler gauge and set the points inside the distributer to .016. After I did this, problem solved.
Dnunn1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much got the whole carb cleaned, I might have missed a tiny jet. I will try to soak it over night to see if that helps. The distributor is already at .016, anyone know of a local auto store that sells rebuild kits? Or a trusted site I could purchase one at?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you don't plop any plastic or rubber bits into the solvent, like the float.

My local import auto store had rebuild kits, but I cleaned and reused the little needle jets from my orig. carb...the tips were much finer on the originals.
Cadaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, no photo. so
we ask 1000 questions.
a 69 what,? exactly.
is the engine still 69 , ?
is it still single port heads?
is it still a 30pict 2 or 3 carb? made in Germany it states. on side.
is it still a 205 T distributor.
does your carb have the idle cut solenoid.? see wire to it.
does to choke open 100% when hot?
did you do a 13 part tune up, or less. less is fail time. (rotor to end)

did you time it by 69 motor specs,? or
if wrong carb and wrong distributor , why would you do that?
missing parts? (photos solve that)

now technically , it dies for only 3 reasons
bad motor (bad compression or valve lash is wrong. causing former)
bad spark (includes loss of 12v to coil)
or bad fueling.
the trick is which,? and there are test for each. and $100 in tools
got tools?

990 more.
did timing advance to near 20 degrees , just gunning engine parked.?
is fuel pressure at least 3 psi (i run 2)
is the float level at 19.5mm
is the idle nozzles all free and clean flowing, (ask how to test its easy and easy to clean,)

if it is fuel starvation
at idle and the idle cut solenoid works,(clicking is 10% of the deal)
this must be free.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

there are are lots to check but this covers. most.
mlsimmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Volkswagen Beetle Stalls At Every Stop Reply with quote

Dnunn1969 wrote:
The bug is having a very hard time trying to idle. It does drive, I drove it around for about an hour but it stalls every time I come to a complete stop.

I had the exact same issue, turned out to be a vacuum leak.

- Mason
Zender0215
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: IDLE STOP SOLENOID Reply with quote

My car had the same problem (1970 vw) ...I cleaned the carburetor many times and same problem...so i checked the two electrical wires that go from the coil to the carburetor and the one that went to the IDLE STOP SOLENOID did not give any spark so i got the wire and i tapped the fan cover and it sparked so this is how i knew that the wire did have current running through it (keep in mind that the key switch is on)(it may not be safe to do it the way i did) but i ended up buying a new IDLE STOP SOLENOID popped it in 14mm wrench is all i needed and problem solved i didn't have to turn my car on and hive it a little gas at every stop.... The only good thing about this was the experience... I can remove my carburetor take it apart clean it thoroughly. In 20 min lol
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was happening on my 30pict3 carb (standard on the '70 bug).
Turned out to be a vacuum leak at the throttle valve shaft. Had to re-bush the carb (thanks Keifernet) which solved the problem.
Spray a bit of carb cleaner there to confirm the vacuum leak.
marchanel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Volkswagen Beetle Stalls At Every Stop Reply with quote

Dnunn1969 wrote:
I have recently bought a 1969 volkswagen beetle, it was sitting for about 3 years, I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, rear wheel cylinders, rear wheel break shoes, Distributor cap, distributor rotor, and I took the carburetor off and used about 3 cans of carb cleaner to clean it. My step father did a valve adjustment, and adjusted the timing. The bug is having a very hard time trying to idle. It does drive, I drove it around for about an hour but it stalls every time I come to a complete stop. My step father thinks we need to buy a whole new carb, anyone have any ideas of why the bug won't idle? I'm new to this site, AND to Volkswagen beetles, as well as my step father. Any help would me much appreciated, thanks - Dnunn1969

You didn't mention adjusting the idle. There are two screws on the left side of the carb that do this. You can find plenty of info on that here, do a search. I'd start there and see if it helps, if not......on to other things.
Ryanqzqz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had the idle cutoff solenoid out of the carb, make sure it is tight and if it had a gasket or o-ring originally, you should replace it Smile

You can get a practically undetectable vacuum leak there that apparently only affects the carb on decel.
blangston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryanqzqz wrote:
If you had the idle cutoff solenoid out of the carb, make sure it is tight and if it had a gasket or o-ring originally, you should replace it Smile You can get a practically undetectable vacuum leak there that apparently only affects the carb on decel.

Thanks a lot! I had this exact issue with a 34 PICT3. Only stalled on decel. I tried a bunch of other crap, but after reading your post in this thread, I found that the cutoff solenoid was loose. Tightened her up and haven't had the issue yet!
Lola Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be water in the fuel tank from condensation! A $4 bottle off treatment will work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kramer79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Volkswagen Beetle Stalls At Every Stop Reply with quote

Hi All,

So I have a 69 bug that is stalling when warmed up coming to a stop at idle. I have a rebuild carb from volkzbiz Tim, that is amazing, new fuel, new plugs, replaced points with electric ignition, used the tester light timing... single port stock 1500. I have not explored the valve lash yet... was told it was done by previous owner... but prob not. Can the lash really cause stalling? Any thing I have not thought of? I adjusted the idle speed but not any other screws because it is running perfect otherwise?

Thanks!!!!
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Volkswagen Beetle Stalls At Every Stop Reply with quote

mlsimmons wrote:
Dnunn1969 wrote:
The bug is having a very hard time trying to idle. It does drive, I drove it around for about an hour but it stalls every time I come to a complete stop.

I had the exact same issue, turned out to be a vacuum leak.

Same for me.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Volkswagen Beetle Stalls At Every Stop Reply with quote

Kramer79 wrote:
Hi All,

So I have a 69 bug that is stalling when warmed up coming to a stop at idle. I have a rebuild carb from volkzbiz Tim, that is amazing, new fuel, new plugs, replaced points with electric ignition, used the tester light timing... single port stock 1500. I have not explored the valve lash yet... was told it was done by previous owner... but prob not. Can the lash really cause stalling? Any thing I have not thought of? I adjusted the idle speed but not any other screws because it is running perfect otherwise?

Thanks!!!!

I would advise starting a new thread and posting all of your info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: