Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vapor canister replacement options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you win, you are the moderator after all.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll start with the rebuild and see how it goes.

You could say I've already done a partial rebuild, since after all the carbon pellets bled out (reminding me of an early scene from The Andromeda Strain, for all you old timers), I blew through the now empty (or nearly so) canister, reattached all the lines and put it back in place on the van. One positive effect I think I can already report is that my gas tank no longer makes a big clank after I switch off the engine, although probably at the cost of a few more fumes wafting around.

My only issue with the real rebuild is whether to use steel wool to hold in the pellets, or to try to somehow repair the existing wire mesh filters.

My only other issue is where to cut the existing canister, and how to seal it.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
CaptTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
CaptTurbo wrote:
davideric9 wrote:
AS per ETKA:

175201801A = 2WD
1H0201801C = 4WD

Why would there be two different part numbers when each has the same engine? Question

Per my version of ETKA:

175201801A is for '85-'88 Passat Syncros and most T2 Buses (it's also a completely different shape). This part was dropped in 2002 with no replacement.

1H0201801C is for all Vanagons, Rabbits, Cabriolets, and a slew of other VWs and Audis from the same era.

Which is why I stated that VC's part number is incorrect. Wink

Ahhh. That 'splains it. Thanks.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 has the right thoughts on this. Any canister that was designed to work with a similar-sized gas tank will work fine. You might have to do a little improvising to mount it.
BoneStock67 wrote:
RCB, generally I agree with you about getting the "right part" for the application, but in the case of the vapor canister, its function is so simple and generic that I would be satisfied getting anything that fit in the space, had the right size and number of connections, and contained charcoal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avincent_13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older thread but I bought the VW-Audi part from a local dealer, 1H0201801C, to replace my original 171201801A. A few dealers list this as a direct replacement/analog for my original part but my original part has a hose nipple on the bottom, where as this has an open chute. I know the hose my original part connects to just goes up into the body and isn't connected to anything, but since I have a Syncro I assume this was done to keep water out of the charcoal canister while off-roading.

Did the parts mentioned in this thread, which were available a while back, have the nipple or the chute? Could I use some sort of Fernco plumbing coupler and some hose clamps to connect this chute to my hose? I don't cross rivers much but it's just the principle of the thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rebuilt GW Transmission, taller 3rd and 4th
Small car disc brakes all around
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avincent_13 wrote:
...my original part has a hose nipple on the bottom, where as this has an open chute...

That's what happens when VW makes new versions and has them supersede the old versions. 1H0201801C is a Mk3-era canister that supersedes and replaces the NLA 171201801A/175201801A canisters in VW's parts catalog.

My '90 van has a Mk2-era canister (191201801) with a 90° elbow (#211201157) placed on the nipple (hose runs into chassis):

avincent_13 wrote:
Did the parts mentioned in this thread, which were available a while back, have the nipple or the chute?

171201801A, 175201801A, 191201801 all have this:

avincent_13 wrote:
Could I use some sort of Fernco plumbing coupler and some hose clamps to connect this chute to my hose? I don't cross rivers much but it's just the principle of the thing.

Don't see why not.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where does the bottom hose or tubing go to after going thru the chassis?
Mine was just loose detached from the chassis and it seems to end right there venting to the atmosphere. If that is the case then I don't see why you could not just leave the chute on that canister open without the that last piece of tubing, after all, the vapors or air are supposed to be clean after going thru the charcoal in the canister. Maybe add a bit of mesh or metal screen to stop bugs from coming in.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Mine was just loose detached from the chassis and it seems to end right there venting to the atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure this depends on model year (and market?) but as did my '81, some vent to atmosphere, some connect to the air cleaner. That detail may be shown in the Bentley.

When I did my ABA (Jetta 2.0) swap, I kept the canister from the '94 Jetta. It looks very similar to the Vanagon canister.

Just checked rockauto.com and autohauz az and don't see that part for a '94 jetta however.

Neil.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
avincent_13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bottom hose just goes up and over into a metal channel in the wheel well and connects to nothing. Again, on Syncros, this was probably done to keep water out of the bottom of the canister if you are ever up to your doors in water...a distinct possibility with 4WD/AWD vehicles.

The challenge for me now, if I want to connect the hose, is to find an approximately 1.25" to 5/8" hose reducer of some kind to connect the chute to my hose. No luck so far, but van runs fine with chute open to air. I would like to connect it correctly if possible. That chute is right next to my left rear wheel.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

Nowhere; it ends right there inside the frame rail, open to the atmosphere. Older vans, as said, have a hose going to the top of the air filter housing. Either way, that bottom port on the canister allows for fresh air to be sucked in.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hansautoparts.com seems pretty legit. Here's a pic of his charcoal filter next to my original. I can feel the carbon in it when I shake it. Has screens on the top ports, too. No part numbers on it. 15 bucks Cool
avincent_13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If so, that well beats the $150 I paid the Audi dealer. The dealer is always my last resort after Van Cafe, GoWesty and Bus Depot. Mine doesn't make any noise when you shake it, however.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this one last week, arrived 2 days ago, it looks like the one in the pic too, no noise when I shake. It has VW/Audi stamps and part# but haven't checked if real. $40 delivered. Part # 1H0201801C

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Charcoal-Cannister-Pur...mp;vxp=mtr

Ooops, looks like they ran out of units, 3 left when I bought mine.

EDIT:
Here is new link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Charcoal-Cannister-Pur...mp;vxp=mtr

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali

Last edited by madspaniard on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far it is definitely the cheapest thing i bought for the van in the few months i've had it. I was thinking about just venting my fuel tank hose right in the wheel well. Bought a little gas filter i was gonna stick on the end. Glad i took the chance with that site. I can definitely feel a bunch of charcoal in it. Better than nothing I guess.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avincent_13 wrote:
If so, that well beats the $150 I paid the Audi dealer. The dealer is always my last resort after Van Cafe, GoWesty and Bus Depot. Mine doesn't make any noise when you shake it, however.

My dealer wanted $260 with taxes and shipping.

SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just insanity. I would probably drill a hole and fill it myself with some type of carbon before I spent that.

This is an expensive hobby.

No turning back now !! lol
avincent_13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's installed now. I actually ordered it from an Audi dealer in another state. The one in my city wanted $175 plus shipping. It's my daily driver so I was in a bit of a time crunch and my old one was leaking carbon pellets. I don't even want to think about the NOS rear stub axles I got from the dealer that Van Cafe NOW has for half the price. For a while new ones were NLA.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
I bought this one last week, arrived 2 days ago, it looks like the one in the pic too, no noise when I shake. It has VW/Audi stamps and part# but haven't checked if real. $40 delivered. Part # 1H0201801C

How did you go with this? I just bought one and I think it will be ok because when I went to China a few years ago they were still making 80's model Passats so it could well be genuine VW.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

How did you go with this? I just bought one and I think it will be ok because when I went to China a few years ago they were still making 80's model Passats so it could well be genuine VW.

I installed mine about 6 weeks ago. So far so good. Hard to tell how well these things perform since it is just a bunch of carbon filtering some gas vapors out to the atmosphere.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks madspaniard, pleased i haven't bought a dud. Actually they prevent vapours going to the atmosphere by absorbing them when the engine is not running and then relseasing them into the engine when it is running.

I have a 1985 and I think the hose connections look different - has anyone used the later style on a pre 86 model and if so how did you connect the hoses?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: