Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vapor canister replacement options
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: vapor canister replacement options Reply with quote

I've been experiencing some fuel tank vacuum issues, so I decided to check the vapor canister (also often called the charcoal canister or carbon canister). When I pulled off the bottom hose, all the little activated charcoal pellets started bleeding out, so now I need to decide whether to:

1. Try to put it back together (e.g., http://forums.motivemag.com/showthread.php?4293953 ). My carbon pellets look fine, but one or both of the screens that are supposed to hold them in place are obviously not, so I would need to replace these screens with something (steel wool?).

2. Buy a (new?) replacement from van-cafe for $90: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1676_284/evaporative_emission_canister.html

3. Buy a generic vapor canister from my flaps, e.g.:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores...r_20473070 . This one in particular is supposed to sort of fit the 1997 Passat, which my research tells me uses the same canister as the vanagon.

What would YOU do? Has anyone found in their FLAPS a new canister that fits well enough?

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi

Last edited by BoneStock67 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terry k sells them to. Smile
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe TK is out of stock.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: vapor canister replacement options Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:

What would YOU do?

I'd pony up the bucks for a new one. Laughing If new ones weren't available, I'd do a rebuild.

Don't know how legit this place is, but it's $12 at http://www.hansautoparts.com/1H0201801CEmissionsCanister.aspx .

The canister's part number is 1H0201801C (VC has it incorrect) and it's used in a number of VWs as well as Audis. It retails for $180 at your local VW/Audi dealers Shocked , so $90 at VC is a deal.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kamz. I too found hans auto parts using the part number search, and believing their deal of twelve dollars was too good to be true, I found many reports about hans and his many websites and many angry customers.

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: vapor canister replacement options Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Don't know how legit this place is, but it's $12 at http://www.hansautoparts.com/1H0201801CEmissionsCanister.aspx .

I recently, was basically called a troll for asking about quality of parts from him on TDI club because apparently people with the name "hans" all belong in the same group?

Anyway, here is some info on that... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320500

But note, everyone mostly only complains about pumps and turbos. It's pretty hard to screw up a charcoal canister if he sends it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: vapor canister replacement options Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
But note, everyone mostly only complains about pumps and turbos. It's pretty hard to screw up a charcoal canister if he sends it.

Eek! Yeah, I'd probably stick with the reputable vendors. Chances are, he'd take your $12 + shipping and conveniently "lose" the part in transit.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice write-up I found on how to "refresh" a late bay's vapor canister, which looks pretty identical to the one on my vanagon:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4859

I'm still leaning towards the generic FLAPS one (my option 3 at the start of this thread).

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<,\I believe TK is out of stock.>>

I had 60 of them up until 3 weeks ago--all gone.

The Van Cafe has what is left of VW's inventory---

I think you'll have a hell of a time adapting that cannister listed.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google the part number you see on the top of the cannister. Might find a brand new one as they are out there. Also try a VW dealer. Get the right/correct/proper one for your application.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might try VW---

However, there is no more in the US warehouses.

I bought them all.
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB, generally I agree with you about getting the "right part" for the application, but in the case of the vapor canister, its function is so simple and generic that I would be satisfied getting anything that fit in the space, had the right size and number of connections, and contained charcoal.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Might try VW---

However, there is no more in the US warehouses.

I bought them all.

This dealer has one: Day Appollo Volkswagen Subaru, Coriapolis, PA 15108

Audi uses the same canister and Audi's network still it available, however, for $180.

Why'd you go to VW/Audi, where over-priced parts are the norm, when you could get one for the half the cost from Van Cafe is beyond me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a shame these cans weren't made to be serviceable... but that'd make DIY life much too easy. Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2011 I bought a new one from Sunnyvale VW dealer for $ 51.60. If your interested their number is (408) 739-2571. I did google the part number and with all the hits I got back its hard to believe it cant be had. Good luck...there out there. Tracking down parts is as fun as driving.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should not suggest vendors that we have no experience with. anyone can google a part number and share results, but how is that helpful?

AS per ETKA:

175201801A = 2WD
1H0201801C = 4WD
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaptTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
Maybe we should not suggest vendors that we have no experience with. anyone can google a part number and share results, but how is that helpful?

AS per ETKA:

175201801A = 2WD
1H0201801C = 4WD

Why would there be two different part numbers when each has the same engine? Question
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:

AS per ETKA:

175201801A = 2WD
1H0201801C = 4WD

I know for a fact I put a 2WD canister in my syncro when my original one clogged.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:

AS per ETKA:

175201801A = 2WD
1H0201801C = 4WD

Question It helps people find parts. Thats why. Ive bought parts in Europe and Puerto Rico. VW vendors are all over the world and Im damn glad when someone speaks up.

Sure, ya got Bus Depot and Go Westy and Van Cafe and a whole slew of em that you know of but its a big planet my man and if you want something bad enough you go get it.

There.....I hope you found my answer helpful. Very Happy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptTurbo wrote:
davideric9 wrote:
AS per ETKA:

175201801A = 2WD
1H0201801C = 4WD

Why would there be two different part numbers when each has the same engine? Question

Per my version of ETKA:

175201801A is for '85-'88 Passat Syncros and most T2 Buses (it's also a completely different shape). This part was dropped in 2002 with no replacement.

1H0201801C is for all Vanagons, Rabbits, Cabriolets, and a slew of other VWs and Audis from the same era.

Which is why I stated that VC's part number is incorrect. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:
Here's a nice write-up I found on how to "refresh" a late bay's vapor canister, which looks pretty identical to the one on my vanagon:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4859

I'm still leaning towards the generic FLAPS one (my option 3 at the start of this thread).

i'd go with the rebuild, a LOT cheaper than buying one

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: