Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reuse this AC compressor?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reuse this AC compressor? Reply with quote

Hello,
I've been working to get my AC working. It just blows ambient temperature air.
I replaced the condenser. I'll replace the receiver/drier. I was going to take the compressor out, flush it and reuse it. Then I just found this?

I don't think I'll use it, but my question is, if I get a new compressor, can I use Red Tek as the refrigerant?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reuse this AC compressor? Reply with quote

If your compressor looks like that, so do your hoses, expansion valve, and evaporator. You need to, at least, get an A/C flush kit and flush your lines, and you really should pull the evap and flush it as well as replace the expansion valve. That would be the least I'd do - you don't want to pump that crap into a new compressor and kill it too Crying or Very sad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reuse this AC compressor? Reply with quote

I just found Johnica in Taiwan sells internal AC parts which you can rebuild Sanden for a lot less than new,

A swash plate compressor is amazingly simple inside and there is nothing lost opening up and looking for bad parts.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reuse this AC compressor? Reply with quote

Yup, take that sucker apart and clean it yourself.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reuse this AC compressor? Reply with quote

I just punted and bought a new compressor and expansion valve.

But I'll take this one apart and fix it. Always nice to have an extra...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: