Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SOLEX H30-PIC
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chunk Of Change
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

Hey Guys - need some of your thoughts regarding the Solex H30-PIC Carb. I wasn't able to get much info {past Posts} on this carb. Does anyone run this carb. on their engine ? I have a 40 HP Single port. I did bring this up a few months back. Anyway, would appreciate some feedback - THKS - Dave
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean a true PCI/PIC style manual choke carburetor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chunk Of Change
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Solex H-30 PIC CARB. Reply with quote

Thank You for the comeback. I don't know about the PCI ?? My Carb. is H-30 PIC with manual choke. Just out of the box, looks new or possibly a rebuilt. Any info would be appreciated - THKS - Dave
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, originally the 36HP engine had a 28PCI carb. In the aftermarket, you'll see PIC instead. Anyway, I asked because people often mis-state the name of the carbs they are talking about. Case in point, check out this listing from Wolfsburg West - they call it a 30PICT-1, but is is not, it's a 30 PIC (The letter T in the name is the letter code for electric choke!)

I'm assuming this is also the one you are talking of:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113129027J
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I prefer an electric choke, but if you're fine with a manual one, then the 30PIC is a decent carb - just a slightly larger, modern aftermarket version of the aforementioned carb used on the 36HP engine. I don't know, offhand, how the vacuum plumbing is set up internally though for the vacuum advance, if you're using a vacuum distributor that is.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chunk Of Change
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for the info, I appreciate. The photo you sent is correct.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 40 horse spare engine and I am running one of these carbs on it. I have three 36 hp cars with manual choke so this carb would allow for that feature to continue to be used. It seems to be a pretty stable carburetor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chunk Of Change
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

THANKS to all on the info - Dave
el_fela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all ! I recently bought a used 30 PIC like the one on this thread, but I have no idea about the correct jetting for a stock 36 HP. which jets are you using?

I found that at low RPMs, specially on 2nd gear, it has VERY little power, stumbles and has very little acceleration, then it picks up and at high RPMs it goes really fast. I tried a variety of main( from 117 to 125) and idle (50, 55 and 60) jets, and no luck. Air is 125z.

It may be a blocked passage, but it would be great to know the correct jettings.

Im using a brazilian SVDA.

Felipe
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have the H30PIC albeit on a 1600sp.

Research SVDA. I think you'll find that distributor is not a good fit for the carb. Switch to an 019 or VJ 4 BR 8.
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Or the more likely stock candidate being a 113 905 205 M or T. I do agree that you are mismatching your carburetor with that distributor.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Tim is also a great source for them! 2 of mine were very well restored by him with excellent service and prices. /threaddrift
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el_fela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys, I know the distributor isn't right, but it's the best I've got. I must mention that this dizzy runs very good with a 28 PIC, but I wanted to replace it cause it's really worn. Might it be the vacuum advance signal being too weak?

The Solex Brosol H30-pic was stock for the brasilian "fusca" (That's how VW sedan is called in Brasil). The carb is the one from the picture above.

I found this table for brasilian fusca jettings:

http://www.piritubafuscaclub.com.br/mantendo-o-seu...solex.html

I just wanted to know about the jetting to establish a reference, cause I see on this thread some people are using them succesfully. I'm not sure why the 28 PIC uses a 195z air correction jet on a 36HP, but subsequent engines and carbs use much smaller air jets, for example 125z for the H30 on a 1300 engine. Is it cause the venturi is larger?

I really have no chance to find/buy a VJU4BR8 dizzy like the stock for my car Sad

Thanks !
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South American engines are a bit different than those delivered to the USA. According to the data in that interesting table The correct distributor would again be a 113 905 205 M or T based upon the 1968-1974 date range. Pairing that carburetor with a VJU 4 BR 8 will probably not be successful. The idea is to match the carburetor to the vacuum advance distributor regardless of the year or size of the engine. The 36 beetle distributors are very plentiful here. I'm not knowledgeable enough on carburetor jets to help you there.

1loko$
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

Old matter, but just in case.

Brazilian made Solex H-30 PIC is different from Solex H-30/31 PICT. Is visually similar to Solex 28 PIC, with only two adjustment screws- throttle opening and idle.

Better saying, seems more an H-30 PICT 1 (pre 67) but with manual instead electric choke. And their adjustment screws are for idle and mixture.

https://www.4x4brasil.com.br/forum/gaiola-baja-e-b...ost2217305

Solex H-30 PIC was the basic carburetor of VW Beetle made in Brazil, adopted in 1968 for 1300 (1970 for 1500) and used until 1977 when was replaced by H-30 PICS, basically the same carburetor, but with narrow venturi (22,5mm against 24mm of H-30 PIC) and bigger (timed) injector and other small internal changes. Both have manual operated choke.

H-30 PIC had two versions, one used from 1968 up to 1974 with two vacuum capitation points in venturi, one lower and one near top. This version if for match vacuum advance only distributor (SVA?)

H-30 PIC used from 1975 up to 1977 has only one vacuum capitation point in venturi, near botton. This version is for match vacuum and centrifugal advance distributor (SVDA).

H-30 PIC was used in this Brazilian cars:

VW 1600 Sedan four doors - based on canceled EA97
Kombi 1500
Karmman Guia 1500
VW Fusca (beetle) 1300
VW Fusca (beetle) 1500
Kombi 1600
Brasilia 1600

An modified version, H-30 PIC2, used in front mounted (inverted) engine of GOL BX 1300.

Actual (2000's) replacement versions of H-30 PIC, now made by Brosol and Mecar (Argentina) are copy of SVDA version, as well Chinese made "Solex" by SherryBerg.

Brazilian 1600 (SP) engines use two Solex H-32 PDSIT-2/3 - but most cars are after market converted for use one H-30 PIC with special collector with short dual port head adapter (different from German DP collector longer version) due to market belief that "two carburetors have poor mileage than one".

Some years ago a popular VW "guru" together with an carb refurbishing shop develop some modifications for H-30 PIC and PICS, informally called as "PIC -30 PIC 25/32 Terminator".

- Removed chock butterfly, machined throat ("blue print").
- Venturi opened to 25 mm (from original 24mm).
- Butterfly of 32 mm (instead original 30mm)
- Conical diffuse opening ("blue print" called "Veneno de Montevideo")
- Different gicleur (jet's)

This modifications give a better progression and low RPM torque, for the typical of today's use of Beetle, city "cruising".

"Terminator" pictures and gicleur (jet's) size there (in Portuguese): http://kinhaomeufuskinha.blogspot.com/2017/09/chegou-meu-terminator-h-2532.html

Last edited by 1loko$ on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:44 am; edited 7 times in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

1loko$ wrote:
Old matter, but just in case.

Brazilian made Solex H-30 PIC is different from Solex H-30/31 PICT. Is visually similar to Solex 28 PIC, with only two adjustment screws- throttle opening and idle.

Thanks for the info!! Though personally happy with the H-30 PIC not modified for high speed, it is still interesting.

Did modify ours with the German 1970s adjustable accelerator pump linkage.
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

I also have a Brosol H 30 PIC carb. (manual choke) Not sure of the jet size but whatever it is, it runs very well. Someone mentioned they are a little bigger than the stock 28's. Since I bough the car without a hood spring installed, I'm wondering if the reason it's missing is because it doesn't fit. I just bought one to install, but before going to the trouble, maybe someone could let me know if they have a spring, and an Brosol H-30 PIC on their car. Thanks

Kailua, Hawaii
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

wiferdill wrote:
Since I bough the car without a hood spring installed, I'm wondering if the reason it's missing is because it doesn't fit. I just bought one to install, but before going to the trouble, maybe someone could let me know if they have a spring, and an Brosol H-30 PIC on their car.

It fits just fine with a 40hp oil bath, can't say for certain if there'd be a problem with a larger air cleaner or not.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

The 30 is only 2 mm wider than a 28 in the throat diameter.
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: SOLEX H30-PIC Reply with quote

OK, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: