Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Karmann Ghia Ignorance Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrakeB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: The official Karmann Ghia Ignorance Thread Reply with quote

I figure that since there is already a thread for overpriced parts that maybe we should have a thread for the idiots who think they know what they are talking about.

( Hopefully the idea is to consolidate all future threads regarding uneducated owners into one spot just for laughs and giggles. )

I would like to christen this thread with one that caught my eye just a little while ago.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1306381

Quote:
Karmann Ghias were produced between 1956 and 1974 in the Porche plant at Karmann, Germany. These sporty models were designed by a prominent Italian Company named House of Ghia, hense the name Karmann Ghia. Approximately 87% of Ghias are 2 door coupes, and convertibles accounted for less than 13%. An extereme few were converted as sleek 2 door hardtops. Ghis Topless roadsters were quite expensive to acquire.

How is it 'NOS' if it has been modified?

The Thread Killer.
matt.white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha - great idea and what makes it even funnier(!??) is this is the guy I bought my ghia from - what a clown he turned out to be!

He runs a "respectable" VW garage and when I did my research, as i was buying the car from the UK, the owner of the garage had a good rep - but he has retired and this guy now runs the body shop! What a jerk! Not only does he not know what he was talking about (as the quote above proves) I was lucky enough to know enough (and some of you guys answered a few other questions for me at the time)......but once I got the car back to the UK it was apparent he didn't know anything about bodywork either! I was planning to leave some trader feedback to warn others - but got too busy having to undo all his poor workmanship!!

Buyers beware.......not only is his knowledge laughable.....but if he has done any work on the cars he is advertising.....it will be as funny as his quotes!

Keep up this thread......it should bring out the other idiots!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well someone's certainly done a good job on that pair of Ghias...got rid of those nasty torsion bar covers...don't you just hate those. Wink

In the age of The Internet it's pretty easy to get your historical facts right...a quick search for "Karmann Ghia" Ctrl C...Cntrl V and you have instant erudition. On the other hand you also have ample opportunity to display your ignorance and broadcast it to the world. I prefer the former but there's great entertainment to be gained from the latter.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sirzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the add a while ago! I didn't notice the deleted torsion bar covers!

I thought "what a crocky presentation over priced and marketed". I thought it was kitsch the way the cars were presented in the add - side by side in a 2 car "barn" - partially unveiled under tarps.
mstencel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So funny that you called out that ad. I saw it awhile back and just thought the way he described the cars in the ad was so weird. And I'm sorry, if you're asking $20,000 for a pair of cars, put the damn quarter windows back in. I can't wait to contribute to this thread.
mstencel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Found one already. I'm sure a few of you saw this in the Classified section as well. Nice Ghia, dude.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1338872
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignorance by native Germans: In my office building about a quarter of the employees are native Germans; working for a German automobile manufacturer (not VW). An American colleague at work finished a very well done '70 Ghia cabrio and drove it to the office. At lunch break some Germans walk over, admire the car and pronounce Ghia as "Gee-ah" (with a "soft" "G" rhyming with "gee-whiz" or Jetta) Rolling Eyes Mad . Crap- the car was built in their own country.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstencel wrote:
Wow. Found one already. I'm sure a few of you saw this in the Classified section as well. Nice Ghia, dude.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1338872

Well it looks like it could be a Ghia... the seeing eye dog said so!

Also related to this thread is an incident I had a few months ago. I pull into a gas station for a snack, walk in the door, and the cashier's mouth drops open as he notices at the Ghia. The other customers do likewise, then the cashier blurts out "Oh my G*d! It's an Alfa Romeo!"

d'oh!
Yellow_Submarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
"Oh my G*d! It's an Alfa Romeo!"

d'oh!

Wait, Ghia isn't an Alfa? CRAP! I was hoping to have electrical failures! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I 1st got my 72 and was trying to get it running, I went into an Advance Auto Parts store and asked for a set of points and condensor for a 72 Karmann Ghia, the parts gal looked me straight in the eye and asked "whats that?"
I said it's a VW and she still had a blank look on her face. Luckily an old timer (maybe in his 30's) knew what I was talking about and we both had good laugh at the young gals expense. Ends up the points were for a DVDA dist and I had an 009 but thats another story Very Happy
Dave
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes with the territory.

Most people do not have a clue what a Ghia is. I had someone start telling me once about the MG they once owned until I realized they were telling me because they thought my Ghia was an MG.

The last Ghia produced was almost 40 years ago at this point and they never made many to begin with. Production was far eclipsed by the Beetle and the Bus, that most people know. Its just the nature of owning one.

I also own a Thing and trust me its much worse than the Ghia as they made even fewer and only offered them in the US for two years - '73 and '74. When I went to first register my Thing at DMV the woman had never heard of a model called "Thing". She thought I was joking. 99% of the people I meet think it a Jeep.
(o)=!=(o)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: It's always 5 o'clock Reply with quote

The clock didn't work in my '70 coupe so I set it to 5:00. I would always say "it's always 5 o'clock in the Karmann Ghia." For my birthday my better half made up a t shirt that had my quote.
I wore it to Disney World & had about 20 people start telling me their stories of this old Ghia they used to have or their friend had.
Of course, the younger people would ask "where is Karmann Ghia?"
I replied Cary, NC.
On a side note the local MG club invited me to their monthly breakfast. I love to discuss fine German engineering with them:D
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volfandt wrote:
... Luckily an old timer (maybe in his 30's)...

I feel so old now....
'73 Sunroof Transporter
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
Volfandt wrote:

I feel so old now....

And I feel like I should have inside info on construction of the pyramids!!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had someone tell me, "That looks like that car from the movie 48 Hours, but different".

While hauling a Ghia that I sold to Colorado, someone pulled up to me and asked, "Is that a Studebaker? It looks like one, but something isn't right."
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
It just goes with the territory.

Most people do not have a clue what a Ghia is. I had someone start telling me once about the MG they once owned until I realized they were telling me because they thought my Ghia was an MG.

Yup. I've got a T-34 Ghia, and it's frequently called a Corvair. Even with the big Karmann Ghia logo on the rear decklid, or the Volkswagen 1500 on the rear tail light panel, it still gets called a Corvair. Rolling Eyes But then my wife's 70 T-3 Fastback has been called a Karmann Ghia many times. Shocked As a type 3 owner, I have very thick skin. I think it started from when I went to my first Vintage VW festival at VW North America headquarters in Auburn Hills, and was placed in the T-4 and Thing catagory, but had to park next to a new Jetta. d'oh! So much for being with the rest of the air cooled VWs at the show. Brick wall
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
Steve22 wrote:
Volfandt wrote:

I feel so old now....

And I feel like I should have inside info on construction of the pyramids!!

You mean you don't? I think I kept my second copy.... I'll look and send it if I did. Laughing
'73 Sunroof Transporter
John K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was driving my 71 Ghia from a monthly VW club meeting and I had to get some gas. When I walked in to pay for it, the young clerk saw it through the window and said "Wow Beautiful car Is that a BMW?" i said no, its a VW Ghia He had to go outside to take a look at it, giving me about 3 high fives
Nice kid, young, thats why he never even heard of it. I think now he wants to get one because he is always asking me (when I get gas there) if I know of one for sale
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
I had someone tell me, "That looks like that car from the movie 48 Hours, but different".

While hauling a Ghia that I sold to Colorado, someone pulled up to me and asked, "Is that a Studebaker? It looks like one, but something isn't right."

we had that happen Sunday while on a doughnut run. a little small for a Studebaker.....
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basketcase wrote:

... a little small for a Studebaker.....

...are you sure?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: