Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
super vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

Hey guys/gals, I am in the process of saving a Syncro Single cab tub/body only, and building it back up...to do so correctly, I would like to know if it's a 16" or 14".

There are some tell tail signs of it POSSIBLY being a 16" (fenders are cut, and holes drilled for the 16" flares, the front shock towers are reinforced like all 16/14" transporters).

This also looks to be a diesel equipped transporter, by the battery tray inside the engine compartment, and large central radiator air ducting.

So the Vin:
WV2ZZZ242EH064337

Are there any particular things to look for to confirm a 14/16?

Remember, there is no drivetrain on the vehicle... so I cannot use that for clarification.

Any info is welcome,
Jonathan Rall Smile
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" syncro) Reply with quote

Is this the yellow one that came out of the yard (on a thread here) recently? Either way, pics!
super vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" syncro) Reply with quote

...It is that one.

It's been out of the yard for about a year, a fellow samba member picked it up then, I am now continuing it's restoration.

Pic's to follow. Cool
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" syncro) Reply with quote

You can't tell from the VIN. However you can tell from the body tag/M-code list. Check to see if it's still there, it's a white paper label by the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel.

If you can find that copy down or photograph the label and post here.

From the pictures I saw last fall I would say 16", but you need the M-code list to be sure.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
super vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" syncro) Reply with quote

..I did see a partial m-code sticker, but I wont get the truck in hand until next Thursday.. so we wait. Cool
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" syncro) Reply with quote

super vw wrote:
...It is that one.

That post/thread ignited thousands of Single Cab fantasies. Looking forward to the rebuild!
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" syncro) Reply with quote

I have pics of it in the flesh Shocked Very Happy
super vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" syncro) Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:

...and didnt get them-code sticker documented. Rolling Eyes so silly Very Happy

Must have been the syncro sickness coming on and forgot. Very Happy
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" syncro) Reply with quote

super vw wrote:
thasty07 wrote:

...and didnt get them-code sticker documented. Rolling Eyes so silly Very Happy

Must have been the syncro sickness coming on and forgot. Very Happy

It's true Laughing
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

super vw wrote:
WV2ZZZ242EH064337

According to http://www.vw-tristar.com/vw.16.syncro.single-cab.register.htm , Syncro 16 single-cabs were 1988 onward. The single-cab in question is an '84.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
super vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

This is what I gathered too... I JUST dont see recorded production dates listed yet that can confirm that the 16" was ONLY produced after 1988.
Have you seen any real info on this date range for the 16?

This can also just be a early 14" Syncro Sinka that someone cut the fenders, added 16 flares, painted over the original OD green factory paint with orange/yellow and masked around the fenders...leaving the original green showing after some one robbed the 16 flares and drivetrain at the scrap yard... just kinda odd.
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

super vw wrote:
This is what I gathered too... I JUST dont see recorded production dates listed yet that can confirm that the 16" was ONLY produced after 1988.

This can also just be a early 14" Syncro Sinka that someone cut the fenders, added 16 flares, painted over the original OD green factory paint with orange/yellow and masked around the fenders...leaving the original green showing after some one robbed the 16 flares and drivetrain at the scrap yard... just kinda odd.

I believe the first Syncros were produced in 86. Also, your truck seems to have been assembled in Hanover. I think the Syncros were assembled in Graz, Austria.
super vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:
super vw wrote:

I believe the first Syncros were produced in 86. Also, your truck seems to have been assembled in Hanover. I think the Syncros were assembled in Graz, Austria.

Well, SEE... some discrepancies in perceived production dates, build locations, and vin descriptions. The truck/body is in fact a syncro, I dont think there is any denying that based on physical evidence....hmm.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

For those that don't remember the truck.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641537&highlight=syncro+16
super vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
For those that don't remember the truck.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641537&highlight=syncro+16

Thanks,
I will get more current photos once I can.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

super vw wrote:
So the Vin:
WV2ZZZ242EH064337

Are there any particular things to look for to confirm a 14/16?

Doesn't show G for a build plant of Graz for synco
I have seen 1985 european syncros but not '84 that I can recall.
Might be a old vin swap job

There is nothing that screams syncro 16 especially with all of the missing drivetrain but you never know, the M codes will tell you what it was originally. There was a bad road package for 14" syncros so the front shock tower reinforcement isn't even a dead give away.

I am glad that someone is saving that poor truck from sure doom.
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

super vw wrote:

Well, SEE... some discrepancies in perceived production dates, build locations, and vin descriptions. The truck/body is in fact a syncro, I dont think there is any denying that based on physical evidence....hmm.

Do you recall where the fuel filler is located? That question was asked in the original thread but not answered.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

Syncro production started 1985
A 16 sika has all frame reinforcements like a 14 with bad weather pack and ofcourse the longer rear arms.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

According to VW Parts info that vin# was built in late 1983 which is too early for it to be a Syncro. The vin# also shows it was built in the wrong country to be a production Syncro.

Mark

super vw wrote:
WV2ZZZ242EH064337
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: VIN check quiz (tell me if this is a 14" or 16" Syncro) Reply with quote

So I went up there and grabbed the other syncro from the guy, and while I was there I grab a bunch of pics for my friend, this pic is what raises the question of if its a 16

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the shock tower has the 16 reinforcement on it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: