Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Addco - Won't return phone calls or emails
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Addco - Won't return phone calls or emails Reply with quote

I've been trying to get a hold of Addco for over two weeks and cannot get anyone to respond. I'm having a major issues with their 719 kit on my 1985 Westfalia. The bushings do not properly fit on the body and bar causing banging and too much movement.

Does anyone who has worked with them in the past have any suggestions on how to get my issues resolved?

I just emailed AndySports where I purchased the kit to see if they can help.

Thanks

Scott
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear they are slacking. Customer service is lacking these days.
Personally, if i am having an issue I tent to fix it myself. Getting "Help" never seems to.

If it's moving too much try clamping one of these to the inside of each clamp? Grease liberally.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.partsreplacementstore.com/product/Doubl...QgodEiYAlw

A one inch sway bar sounds awesome. Hope you can get it the way you like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few build threads here using those bars.
Some upgrades can be made at the attachment of the bar.
Universal bushings and holders can be used for more clamping force on the bar.
I dont have the specifics on the brain right now, but perhaps a search of some threads may help.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they still in business?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Addco - Won't return phone calls or emails Reply with quote

I have the 719 on mine, and the bar is about 1 1/2-2" too narrow for the T3. I used 1" collars to prevent the bar from sliding side/side and making a loud banging noise. It was either that or use a stack of washers on each side, but those 3/4" bolts are a bear to tighten/loosen due to the excessive thread, so I chose the collar method of restraint.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Addco Reply with quote

Worst company I have ever dealt with. I will never purchase anything from them again!

Explained the problem with the 1985 and older Vanagons that the bushing mounts at and angle and not on the flat frame surface like the 1986-1991. Sent them a picture of the bar fitted to the van so they could definitively see what the issue is.

They said they would send me new bushing and brackets out. They did, but the were the EXACT same as the original 719 kit.

So for you 1985 and older Vanagon owners... DO NOT BUY ADDCO 719U for your van. It won't fit! Mad
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermarket parts usually need some ingenuity and mods to make work.

If you are looking for stock fit and finish, I would recommend sticking with stock parts.

How you deal with the curve balls separates the hitters from the........ Wink
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bar will fit on older vans, just not perfectly. Moreover, if you lube up the bushing too much and tighten the bolts past a certain point, the drop link can pop out over the bushing. Some 2" OD and 3/4" ID washers on the wheel side of the drop link should prevent this. Why Addco didn't think of this is a mystery, but it is what it is.
BIRD84WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Addco sway bar Reply with quote

I have the Addco sway bar, with over 40K miles on an 1984 Westy. When I did swap the sway bar, I switched to later model drop links, running 15 " Mercedes wheels, Carat springs, new KYBs with Nokian tires. Got an alignment, and I have been loving the way it handles. Hitting triple digits with the Bostig!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Addco sway bar Reply with quote

BIRD84WESTY wrote:
I have the Addco sway bar, with over 40K miles on an 1984 Westy. When I did swap the sway bar, I switched to later model drop links, running 15 " Mercedes wheels, Carat springs, new KYBs with Nokian tires. Got an alignment, and I have been loving the way it handles. Hitting triple digits with the Bostig!

You rule Exclamation

Makin' it work and lov'in it, not hate'n cause you don't get it.

Kudos
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished a full suspension restoration and got an alignment. Now you guys have me pining for a beefier sway bar. I did put flaps polyurethane swaybar bushings on, just stacked some washers under one side, no big deal. Not bad for $12.
Neil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Addco Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
Worst company I have ever dealt with. I will never purchase anything from them again!

Explained the problem with the 1985 and older Vanagons that the bushing mounts at and angle and not on the flat frame surface like the 1986-1991. Sent them a picture of the bar fitted to the van so they could definitively see what the issue is.

They said they would send me new bushing and brackets out. They did, but the were the EXACT same as the original 719 kit.

So for you 1985 and older Vanagon owners... DO NOT BUY ADDCO 719U for your van. It won't fit! Mad

Hmm, so your problem is with the bushings as they mount to the frame, not the drop link bushings? I don't remember having an issue with these on mine. Is the stock mount different on later vans compared to earlier ones?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it work and there is a longish thread about Addco bars.

Look in section 40 of the FAQ in Front Suspension.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I made it work and there is a longish thread about Addco bars.

Look in section 40 of the FAQ in Front Suspension.

It can be made to work, but is it possible ScottJK was sent the wrong bushings?
Hodakaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

If you are looking for stock fit and finish, I would recommend sticking with stock parts.

That shouldn't be the norm on aftermarket parts....if they are designed to fit a certain model/year they should fit as factory, otherwise they did a half ass job.

There are plenty of aftermarket companies that take pride in making products that work/fit....Burley & RMW are a couple that does a great job and has excellent support for their products.

Accepting that new parts won't fit and will need mods is just wrong, People should let them know it's not acceptable with their wallets and it will change.

There are times though when nothing else will be available and you'll have to mod parts to make it work...still doesn't make it right.

Hodakaguy

My Unimog Build: https://advrider.com/f/threads/meet-the-trotn-turtle-unimog-u1300l-build.1143869/

My Tacoma Builds: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hodakaguys-overland-tacoma-builds-on-to-new-adventures.1274770/

My 4wd Sprinter Build here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9334401#9334401
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Yeah....thats just wrong thinking Rolling Eyes obviously He's not looking for "stock"
..but he paid for a product that is advertised to fit and work.
Apparently it doesn't...Why should He/We (a hobbiest) fix someone elses( the proffessionals) short comings Question
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Yeah....thats just wrong thinking Rolling Eyes obviously He's not looking for "stock"
..but he paid for a product that is advertised to fit and work.
Apparently it doesn't...Why should He/We (a hobbiest) fix someone elses( the proffessionals) short comings Question

Cause that is the way it works sometimes with some vendors.

I had an issue with them once, too.

They dealt with it in a fair and rapid manner, answering the phone was not an issue, as I recall, but it was years ago.

We have a custom bar made by them which are not perfect every time either.

BUT, we are happy to get them as they take on our small order.

It is not a complicated bar and I could have it fabbed locally, but they make bars, and should know what to do.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dudes, but from my vantage point, questions should be asked before any product is purchased.
Bashing a vendor because you lack the knowledge to install there product is complete BS.
So you Guys are getting detailed instructions with all of the aftermarket products you are buying for a Vanagon???
Com'on, get real.
If so, why do so many people have issues and especially with alignment.

This and the other thread that was locked in a matter of minutes goes to show that questions were not being asked, just bashing.

You reap what you sow.

If it ain't working for ya, trying hiring a qualified wrench to git r dun Exclamation
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP claims that Addco did not return his calls in a timely fashion and then misinterpreted his request for help. Of course, we don't know how the conversation for help went, but the failure to return a customer's calls in a reasonable time frame is deserving of some bashing.

How is a customer supposed to know what questions to ask before he buys something if it is advertised as fitting their application? Question
Hodakaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Sorry Dudes, but from my vantage point, questions should be asked before any product is purchased.
Bashing a vendor because you lack the knowledge to install there product is complete BS.
So you Guys are getting detailed instructions with all of the aftermarket products you are buying for a Vanagon???
Com'on, get real.
If so, why do so many people have issues and especially with alignment.

This and the other thread that was locked in a matter of minutes goes to show that questions were not being asked, just bashing.

You reap what you sow.

If it ain't working for ya, trying hiring a qualified wrench to git r dun Exclamation

I think your missing the point here...I don't see it as bashing when a product is delivered and doesn't do what it's suppose to do. Lack of knowledge?? Why should I have to redesign something that is suppose to fit as I bought it? Can I figure it out and mod it as necessary...probably. But should I have to or expect it...No!

You reap what you sow? So the guy that purchased the defective part is to blame? So you should have to post a question or search for every single item before you buy it? That's insane...A reputable company will provide parts that fit as advertised and support to back it up, once word gets around that a company isn't doing that people will vote with their wallets and they will change or go under.

I realize that the Vanagon market is specialized and small....that's still no excuse for accepting that aftermarket parts won't fit or don't need to work as advertised.

Hodakaguy

My Unimog Build: https://advrider.com/f/threads/meet-the-trotn-turtle-unimog-u1300l-build.1143869/

My Tacoma Builds: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hodakaguys-overland-tacoma-builds-on-to-new-adventures.1274770/

My 4wd Sprinter Build here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9334401#9334401
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: