Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DoKa Parts Source?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: DoKa Parts Source? Reply with quote

I picked up a DoKa 2WD, and will need to source some parts.

I realize that most parts are NLA. But is anyone making any reproduction parts etc.

Currently looking for some Engine, or Treasure Chest Hinges. Has anyone fabricated something that worked and didn't look out of place for these?

Anyway to help avoid Rust. I think that I remember hearing that the C pillar is an area of concern.

Any other info would be helpful.
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested in what people have to say about this. I have a Doka that I am putting back together slowly. I have found that some parts are similar to a bay window bus. For instance, the engine door latch and the prop spring.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric did a photo post of replacing the treasure box hinges on a doka once a long time ago on the Vortex. he used a pair of hinges from True Value. he welded them into the door and I guess screwed them to the frame as normal. looked pretty much perfect.

I would measure the barrel of the hinge and see if I could find something close at the hardware store. they really arn't that fancy or special. I could see where you might end up needing to weld up predrilled hinges and duplicate the factory holes///but you might be able to find piano hinge that isn't drilled and cut off what you need, centering the fingers as best you can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased new Doka Treasure Chest doors OEM new from a dealer in LA last year. Both of my original doors have hinges that still work, but they are rusted just below the hinges. Could be an easier fix for you than replacing hinges. If you pay shipping, I will send them to you for free. I would prefer them going to help you, as apposed to sitting on my shelf of VW parts forever.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
I recently purchased new Doka Treasure Chest doors OEM new from a dealer in LA last year. Both of my original doors have hinges that still work, but they are rusted just below the hinges. Could be an easier fix for you than replacing hinges. If you pay shipping, I will send them to you for free. I would prefer them going to help you, as apposed to sitting on my shelf of VW parts forever.
Tony

Tony

PM Sent....

Thanks Jon Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: