Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help diagnose my breakdown
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Help diagnose my breakdown Reply with quote

My van stalled out today and refused to restart until I let it cool for about 20 minutes. I was driving around at low speeds with the radiator fan cycling and doing its thing. I stopped somewhere leaving it idle for a few minutes and when I got back in it started stumbling at very low rpm and stalled when I gave it gas. When I tried to restart it it just stumbled for a few seconds before stalling again.

I really don't think it overheated, the temp sensor was replaced recently and the gauge was reading fine, it didn't smell like it overheated and it didn't seem overly hot under the deck lid. Coolant level was fine in both tanks.

Once I got it restarted I drove it home 90 miles with no issue and restarted it hot in my driveway with no issue.

1985 1.9l 148k miles
Thermostat, temp sensor, fuel/vac/breather lines all replaced within the past 3 months.

Occasionally in the past I've had trouble restarting it HOT without giving it a little gas.

Any idea what might have happened? Thanks.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't hurt to test that new Temp II sensor. I would do it at the ECU plug - first with the engine cold, then plug the ECU in again and test once the engine is hot. Testing there also tests the connection and wiring to that point.

Sounds like the problem may be intermittent which can make it the dickens to find. You may want to carry a multimeter and the Bentley as you drive (good idea anyway) at least it will keep you occupied if you have to wait for the engine to cool down.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before my fuel pump completely failed, I found it took a lot longer cranking before starting when the engine was hot. Triple digit temperatures last summer made it even worse.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it happened I thought the fuel pump might have finally given out as it's been cavitating on and off lately and I was ready to put my spare in. I tested the pump and it seemed to be working, fuel filter wasn't clogged and the line past the pump was still pressurized. I wish I had had a pressure tester.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
When it happened I thought the fuel pump might have finally given out as it's been cavitating on and off lately and I was ready to put my spare in. I tested the pump and it seemed to be working, fuel filter wasn't clogged and the line past the pump was still pressurized. I wish I had had a pressure tester.
Make your own press tester. Get the round tire guage(wally world) unscrew the end,screw on a section of fuel hose,clamp and add another clamp for the 'T' end. About $5, compact and works.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: