Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker repair panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ochie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Rocker repair panels Reply with quote

I am trying to repair the passenger side rocker along with the sliding door track section. The sliding door track panel I purchased does not have the flange for spot welding to the cargo floor and the shape is cheesy/ incorrect. Who has the best quality middle rocker and sliding door track? NOS doesn't seem to be an available option. What is the best way to attack this repair?
Thanks
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klassic Fab ( Gerson ) makes the inner/middle/outer rockers. Nice and sturdy. I cannot comment on the slider track because I did not need it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a NOS one if you have deep pockets. The gerson one is about as good as you will find

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ochie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills
How deep do my packets have to be? I don't mind spending more to get good quality. I'm waiting for a reply from Gerson about availability and price. Also I wasn't sure what part I needed.
Ochie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West is out of stock until october.
Busdepot claims to be better quality. http://www.busdepot.com/9555042
Anybody have firsthand experience?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot claims "better quality". Better than what? The black primered metal is normally inferior to the "funky green panels" (Gerson). I have no problem with Bus Depot, I buy alot of stuff from them. Just not metal. You asked who has first hand exp., my living room last year for my single cab.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see a rocker piece in the last pic. Between the upper and lower nose. I bought both rocker sides complete. 6 pieces. My body guy likes the fit. they have very little fitment issues. No matter what you buy nothing will be perfect.
Coal64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to repair.... replace both rockers and I probably should of replaced the slider door track.

about half way down you can find where how I replaced the inner and outer rocker I got them both from bus depot.
edit: there is also some nice shots of Gerson's green rocker there too.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449872&highlight=yellow+floor

My buddy replaced his sliding door track before me and vowed to never do it again after his door would not align right. but if you really need to replace it your just going to need to drill holes or weld it in another way.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My slider track has a pretty nasty groove in it. However, after having suffered through welding several body panels on my bus already, there is no way I am going to do the same to the track. I have been trying to figure out some sort of solution to fill the groove with epoxy. I tried the putty, but it didn’t quite work the way I expected. Is there some kind of epoxy that goes on like Bondo, but hardens like JB weld? Actually, come to think of it, I haven’t tried JB weld yet. I just need something I can get semi-smooth and flat when applied. I can then grind it completely smooth if need be.
Forest Ape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ochie, I'm about an hour and a half northeast of you. I have KlassicFab Rocker Panels from Gerson that I will sell to you for what I paid. I also have the short side rockers if you need them. Let me know.

Looking for a clean rear cargo hatch, email me.
Ochie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skils Excellent pictures showing the Klasic fab parts versus NOS. Thanks.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ochie wrote:
Skils Excellent pictures showing the Klasic fab parts versus NOS. Thanks.

the KF panel was super close to the original. me being an anal retentive jerk, i pulled out my micrometer for the sliding door track groove, and it was pretty close, the gerson being about .020-.030 in some spots, but i would not hesitate to use it.

i got lucky, and didn't need either one, so i sold the gerson at a swap and held on to the NOS one. i know living in connecticut i will have another bus that may need it

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about lending that NOS VW part to Gerson, so that he can fine tune his?

That would be good for all future buyers of his stuff, some of whom may turn out to be your customers some day! Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills how the heck did you get a NOS inner rocker??!?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:

He knows all the right people.... Wink

Bus Depot carries or did carry Allan Schofield's panels (Classic Volkswagen Restoration) so that panel may be his. I never touched that piece but do know he tries to have the best fitting pieces and uses NOS as patterns whenever he can (and finds NOS pieces that you would never believe).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
Bus Depot claims "better quality". Better than what? The black primered metal is normally inferior to the "funky green panels" (Gerson). I have no problem with Bus Depot, I buy alot of stuff from them. Just not metal. You asked who has first hand exp., my living room last year for my single cab.

With all due respect, this only indicates that you have first hand experience with Gerson's metal. It doesn't mean that you have compared every available alternative. The fact that you lump all "black primered metal" into the same category indicates a lack of first hand experience with all of the various types of "black primered metal" that exist. Genuine VW replacement panels are often black. So are crappy aftermarket Brazilian knockoffs, and many levels in between. We source from a wide range of suppliers - VW themselves (typically black), Just Kampers and Schofield in the UK, Klokkerholm, and and others - based on available quality. Much of it is indeed far superior to versions sold elsewhere, and I say that having compared them personally. The color of the primer is not even a consideration, as it has absolutely no correlation to quality. Also we don't always update our photos when we find a better source for the same panel, as the quality difference would not be visible in a picture anyway, so the color of the panel you receive may or may not be the same as pictured.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Busdepot, would you please put in the descriptions where and who makes your replacement panels and parts? They leave a lot to be desired. It would greatly help in your sales and appreciation here and all Bus owners and buyers.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
With all due respect, this only indicates that you have first hand experience with Gerson's metal. It doesn't mean that you have compared every available alternative........ Also we don't always update our photos when we find a better source for the same panel, as the quality difference would not be visible in a picture anyway,

Then I respectfully apologize. I have bought a couple of panels from you and they were Klokker. Though I am not familiar with all your photos, Klokker can have contour bends that are unmistakably Klokker. And since my post a year and a half ago, I know of a Samba member who has bought Schofield metal from you who is very happy with it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:

cuz i'm like fly shit...everywhere Cool and as pointed out, i know the right people Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
OK, Busdepot, would you please put in the descriptions where and who makes your replacement panels and parts? They leave a lot to be desired. It would greatly help in your sales and appreciation here and all Bus owners and buyers.

Point well taken, but FYI in many cases there is already at least some indication in the descriptions. The ones that are described as UK made are either from Just Kampers or Schofield; both are comparable quality in my experience. Genuine panels are usually identified as such. Feel free to email us if you have any question about the sourcing of a panel that isn't noted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: