Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowlight Quarter Window Install - Fixed Window
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Lowlight Quarter Window Install - Fixed Window Reply with quote

OK this is an appeal for illustrated practical information on this "thorny" subject. We often get appeals for an illustrated "How To" and so far there's not much out there.

Of course there is Section A-63 from the Bodywork Shop Manual we carry in the archive: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1960_karmann_ghia_workshop_manual.php
and Seth's pictures from his '59 restoration: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4145391#4145391

What we do need is a step by step "How To." If you've been through the painful process please add your comments and where you sourced you window rubber etc.

If I've missed any useful pictures and descriptions from anywhere on The Samba or anywhere else on The Internet add the links to this topic.

Thanks
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done only one set of Lowlight quarter windows and I swear - never again!
The worst part is WRONG profile of repro rubber. In my opinion this is not specific Karmann rubber repro that is available, but generic rubber that is close to Lowlight rubber profile. We got rubber from CSP (Germany, part # 845 321 143A) and must be high quality. Sorry no pics Sad After long search I've found pics in gallery of OG rubber in place and difference was visible. I'm not sure but that repro rubber is only one available in the moment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[mod edit: revised link to csp product] https://www.csp-shop.com/en/body/quarter-window-seal-845-321-143a-11670a.html
vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: thanks john!!!!!! Reply with quote

sorry for the re-post but i tried to view the link you sent me and it for some reason came up as "no match can be found" but thanks for going out of your way to help me with this!!!!!!!
the seals that are shown in the 1st reply are the same ones i have and i wonder if they are the problem? no matter what i try as soon as i get the glass over 3/4 of the way in they just pop out of the seal......i have even tried using mini taping screws and washers to attach the seal to the "c" frame and they still pop out once you get them all the way in!
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install rubber first- then spray with light mist of diluted dish soap-
then slide glass in from the open end and tap home with a wooden mallet- It is not the most straightforward job but this is a good way to do it-

Good luck with it-

You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/Seth-Draper-Art-Ceramics/150919701594700?ref=mf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth,
i have spent a huge amount to time following your thread about your low light. actually it's bookmarked as "MOTIVATION FOR THE DAY" on my work computer.....i have stared at the pics you posted tons of times and still cannot figure out what is up with my 1/4 windows....seems like something is just out of whack but need to figure out what it is (think it maybe the seals).....did your car have some sort of inside trim that held the inside of the rubber in place besides the metal "c" that screws to the window opening?
thanks again for all the time you spent letting me follow the progress on your low light!!!!!
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the metal "L" profile strip that goes inside the quarter window opening? This is attached first with small screws, then the seal, next the window and finally the chrome trim is attached. If you need images of the strip I am talking about I can shoot some pics this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: ghia headache Reply with quote

yes i have both of the "screw down" c channels.....does the outer chrome trim go on before or after the window rubber and the glass? or before? thanks to everyone for taking the time to help on this!!
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer chrome trim goes on last.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you be willing to post some good pics....inside and out? it's gotta be an issue of the aftermarket seals i have....my 1/4 windows basicly fall out of the seals as soon as the look like there are almost in.
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjimbo wrote:
Seth,
i have spent a huge amount to time following your thread about your low light. actually it's bookmarked as "MOTIVATION FOR THE DAY" on my work computer.....i have stared at the pics you posted tons of times and still cannot figure out what is up with my 1/4 windows....seems like something is just out of whack but need to figure out what it is (think it maybe the seals).....did your car have some sort of inside trim that held the inside of the rubber in place besides the metal "c" that screws to the window opening?
thanks again for all the time you spent letting me follow the progress your low light!!!!!

Cheers for the kind words- I miss that car but the bus is coming along nicely now and the ghia seems to be in very good hands-

I wish I could offer more help but can't work out what is going wrong- Maybe an idea to show us some pics of your installation and where it is going wrong???

You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/Seth-Draper-Art-Ceramics/150919701594700?ref=mf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i was at the columbus volksfest show in ohio yesterday and got to look very indepth at a 59 low light and i am pretty sure the issue is being caused by the seals.......now i guess the question is where to get good 1/4 seals from? don't know if the seals i have are way too soft of what? anybody have a good source for 1/4 seals?
will try to post some pics over the next day or so......once again thanks for the help!!!!
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were from House of Ghia but I think Mike has stopped trading as a parts supplier???? He may have some still in stock if you ring and ask him nicely- or he may be able to point you in the right direction? Wink

vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will definatly give him a call.....i am sorta elimanating things down and i think it's the seals are too soft.....am e-mailing back and forth with the supplier they came from to see if anyone else has the same issue......maybe it was part of a bad batch or something i don't know and don't want to post who i got them thru because he was super good to deal with and i don't want any of this to come across as negative towards him!!!!
thanks again seth!!
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could not get the new quarter window rubber i purchased from a very reputable supply house to work on my 63 ghia hinged quarter windows. i think the rubber is at fault and it think most of the supply houses in the states get it from the same source. i was told this by two of the more popular suppliers. hope you have luck with your rubber.
vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seth,
i know this is a dumb question but did you put the 1/4 seal on the glass first before hitting it into place or did you put the seal inplace on the "c" channel in the window opening first then hit the glass into the seal?
thanks!!!!!
crimson ghost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no pro but on mine we lined up the seal in the C channel taking in to account that it will be pushed back a little with the window. We also used dish soap to lube up the rubber seal section the window is pushed into.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjimbo wrote:
seth,
i know this is a dumb question but did you put the 1/4 seal on the glass first before hitting it into place or did you put the seal inplace on the "c" channel in the window opening first then hit the glass into the seal?
thanks!!!!!

The seal should always go on the glass first.

German Folks
vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to clean everything and try it again....still think it may be an issue with the softness of the seal....but never know maybe the 30th time will be the charm!
CRIMSON GHOST did you have any issue with the glass trying to push outward when installing it like that? cal-look seals or OG with the trim???

LONOTCH i am going to try it again with the seal clean and around the glass like you said......thanks for the help!!!!
crimson ghost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjimbo wrote:
CRIMSON GHOST did you have any issue with the glass trying to push outward when installing it like that? cal-look seals or OG with the trim???

I have the OG seals for chrome trim from KGPR. The only time we had a problem with the window pushing out is when we installed the wrong side C channel so it was facing the wrong direction. Embarassed You might want to listen to the other guys first as it took us putting them in 3 times before it was correct Wink
I bought my car without side windows installed so we had nothing to go by.
vwjimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing here....mine was a drag car out of florida so it had nothing in the doors,1/4 windows,car was completely dechromed they even filled the outer door handle holes (luckily just with bondo they didn't weld them up!!)
missing every "unboltable" part off of the car....so i spent about a year compiling everything from taillights to the ever impossable to find outer window scrapper metal channel....but thanks to the samba i have found about 98% of the stuff for the car and hope to have it back on the road soon!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: