Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cd player taking battery power from my bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theguywiththevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: cd player taking battery power from my bus Reply with quote

i recently installed my cd player and everything and know when i start up the bus i get a really weak start or nothing at all and end up getting it jumped there is probably a numerous amount of things that could be wrong with it i dont really know it could be my starter or my alternator or my battery cables might be old and messed up i just dont know

Doug_
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Check for shorts
b) There should be two + wires. One is for power and gets connected to a power source that is OFF when the key is OFF. The other is for the memory and should be attached to an always ON power source.

Odds are you're shorting somewhere and draining the battery as it sits. I would pull the radio (or disconnect it completely) and see if your battery drain problem goes away. If so, redo your wiring and check everything.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
RyanV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also believe that before 73 there wasn't an accesory only position on the ignition ( as apposed to 73 and up having - off, acc, on, and a start position), therefore you have to wire the accesory and the power wire coming from the radio to the same power wire, there leaving at least the clock and face lit up at all times. if you forget to turn the radio off, or remove the face, you would be draining the battery while parked, but has never been enough to drain my battery, even after sitting for a few days. check your charging system, and maybe its time for a new battery if it is old. I could be terribly wrong, so correct me please, if this is the case. Cheers!
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about newer vw's but right throught to 87 at least (newest I've had) you can listen to the radio without the key, so it's easy to forget if you turn it down for some reason and forget to turn it back up before you get out. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RyanV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that could be just the way the stereo is wired up. i would be curious to know when the accessory position on the ignition was added. until then i dont think you would have a choice but to have power to the head unit all the time. anyone know?
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the main power wire to a fuse that doesn't have constant power. No reason for the unit to always have power, just the memory wire.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, you are correct and the situation goes way past 1987. We got a 2003 New Beetle Convertible for my wife a few months ago, and one of the first things I noticed is that VW has not changed the radio power set-up in thirty years--you can still turn the radio on and off without an ignition key anywhere in site. I have already been guilty of leaving the radio on and then strolling away from the car. Wink
RyanV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish i would have thought of that before I wired everything up, thanks for tip Rob. amazing how i overlook the easy answer. Cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: