Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Matra Tools w/photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

finished up the VW297 kit in CAD. one of the backlash checking fixtures in my kit was missing, so I made one out of stainless a decade ago back when I had machine shop access at school. That one was made off of a pencil tracing of an original provided by another samba member, but I'll have to update the model if I find an original I guess. Built many transmissions with this set so I know it at least works as dimensioned in these models.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
finished up the VW297 kit in CAD. one of the backlash checking fixtures in my kit was missing, so I made one out of stainless a decade ago back when I had machine shop access at school. That one was made off of a pencil tracing of an original provided by another samba member, but I'll have to update the model if I find an original I guess. Built many transmissions with this set so I know it at least works as dimensioned in these models.

looks great, go have a look at the facebook page "The beatles in 3d".

He does a lot of environments, but does some nice work of amplifiers and guitars. Maybe eventually you would have enough items to fill a dealership service department setting.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

i was wondering if it was you that bought those matra spanners. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
i was wondering if it was you that bought those matra spanners. Very Happy

Very Happy haha that's a bit sad. Can't imagine there's a huge amount of people in Australia with an interest in Vw matra tools

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
VW_RaF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
I thought it would be fun/useful to start modeling some of my Matra/other make OG VW dealership tools in CAD. Maybe if there is enough interest in these some small batches could get quoted.

Started with some suspension drifts.

From Left to Right:
US/VW768
US/VW767
VW273B
VW273A
VW273D

Planning to keep going through the collection and 'digitizing' as I find time.

Hi,

Where did you find the dimensions of the VW273A tool?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

I measured the one I have.

If people are interested in one I could draw up a print and get some quotes on having a few made. PM me I guess. Have a spot that does stuff cheap but the more you get the cheaper they are.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

VW293. Mine I think is too narrow for later bearings by memory but it’s been a while since I’ve torn down a 3.88 pinion shaft so I’m not sure. I’ll have to dig up a later style pinion bearing and make sure the bracket clears.

Edit: added socket and different view.

Last edited by nshaddox on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
VW293. Mine I think is too narrow for later bearings by memory but it’s been a while since I’ve torn down a 3.88 pinion shaft so I’m not sure. I’ll have to dig up a later style pinion bearing and make sure the bracket clears.

The samba listing for the 293 comes from a 1964 Sonderwerkzeuge. I have a 1967 copy that still lists it, the description is slightly different.

Stating that its used for the round nut on the pinion drive as well as the round nut with locking sholder also on the drive pinion.

I think I may have half of that tool in storage somewhere. I've never used it, and cannot attest to what it fits. There may be different versions, but usually there would be an 'A' and 'B' version to show this.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Mine is marked VW293. No other markings so arguably not a fit for this thread; just posting here for consistancy. has the ability to do the early style 4 slot pinion nuts and also the later style crenelated pinion nuts. I just don't remember if the bracket clears the later style pinion bearings. easy enough to fabricate a wider bracket.

Here is a US237. Mine has a 7/8" head but I modeled this one with a 22mm head to satisfy my OCD tendencies about mixing standard and metric units. I remember this being frustrating by this every time I use this tool. Its actually pretty handy because OG swing axle side plates are usually loose fit to bearings now so the bearing is more likely to stick to the differential when you are checking backlash or tearing down. use a thrust plate from VW297 with it, works perfectly.
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

I've keep forgetting to post this.

I was lucky enough to again visit the Prototyp museum in Hamburg Germany last year.

I noticed this in their cafe area.

The section against the wall almost looks like it would house a small hydraulic press. That's me purely guessing.

A fantastic conversation starter, I'd love to have one in my shed.
Can anyone provide some more info as to its use?

I think the cafe staff thought My boss and I were weird for fussing over it.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Bit of excitement came in the post today

MATRA-VW 342 timing light. Minty fresh in the box

Just need to buy a beautiful reproduction 25hp timing scale from samba seller Virtanen.... Oh I also would need a 25hp engine. Confused

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2368865

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

oh wow. that is beautiful.
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

It's a fantastic talking point. I think it may need a bakelite adaptor to go onto spark plug number one, and it's ignition lead.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Trent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Finally found and bought a 313 but I haven’t seen this style.... I’ve looked all over the yoke and can’t find any Matra number... but it fits the type 1 case perfectly. Does anyone have information?
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Trent Bliven wrote:
Finally found and bought a 313 but I haven’t seen this style.... I’ve looked all over the yoke and can’t find any Matra number... but it fits the type 1 case perfectly. Does anyone have information?

That style was, and still is used by Porsche I think. There's a few different versions with different bolt holes for various engines and gearboxes. You'd probably have better luck looking it up on Porsche lists. I'd be surprised if VW listed it.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?145554-Engine-stand/page3

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Trent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback!
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

This was just posted in the hazet thread.

HaraldD wrote:
Hello Everyone,

before some time I showed a Matra Hydraulic Pack.
Now I have all the parts (only one small part missing) for the Hydraulic Pack.
It`s for getting out the pins at the door hinge!
It is real easy!! to do it with this tool! No hammer and nothing else needed.
Here you can see some photos.

Thank you!

Harald

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
HaraldD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

Hello,

here you can find the photos (if you want to see them in a higher resolution)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=57

If you need more informations, feel free to contact me.

Thank you!

Harald
DGRAHAM2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

I aquired a engin stand today im teying to urn more about it i was hoping i could get a little better insite on what i have. Its a US 313 and then the mount sais MATRA 307 Made in Germany. And its on a stans roughly 3 feet tall with 2 bolts in the front. That go in to two plate coming out the front of the pedistool
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Matra Tools w/photos Reply with quote

A photo would help, but if those two removable pins are located about a foot or so below the 313 head of the tool, they are for attaching two optional long metal arms and at the end of each arm a Y-shaped metal yoke which would support the mounting of a transaxle bellhousing to the 313 yolk and the two "Y" shaped yolks at the ends of the arms would then support the ends of the axles. A manual photo of the add-on accessory #643 transaxle support arms and yokes:

The long arms and yokes are a fairly rare option which I happen to have on my 313 engine stand. Adding that optional arm and yolk set allows your engine stand to service both engines and transaxles. A very cool optional tool... Mine for your perusal...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: