Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting engine after sitting in the garage 4 months in AZ
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Starting engine after sitting in the garage 4 months in AZ Reply with quote

Looking to start our 78 Westy after sitting in the garage @ 100 degrees plus for the last 4 months. Motor is rebuilt with 350 miles, electronic ignition, straight 40 weight oil.....and all new rubber hoses on the emmisions as well as new vapor canniser..and new fuel inlet hose and filler grommet....and new Optima battery, and fuel cap. any special insructions? She also has hydralic valves.....I also did add fuel stabilizer...your thoughts are appreciated. Bob
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were going to wait until it cooled down a bit Bob. Laughing Laughing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting engine after sitting in the garage 4 months in Reply with quote

ashley1 wrote:
Looking to start our 78 Westy after sitting in the garage @ 100 degrees plus for the last 4 months. Motor is rebuilt with 350 miles, electronic ignition, straight 40 weight oil.....and all new rubber hoses on the emmisions as well as new vapor canniser..and new fuel inlet hose and filler grommet....and new Optima battery, and fuel cap. any special insructions? She also has hydralic valves.....I also did add fuel stabilizer...your thoughts are appreciated. Bob

check the oil and crank her over. Check the tires if you plan to drive her. If you haven't ever checked the trans fluid check that too. Step on the brakes a couple times to be sure they work and that there is fluid. I probably would do a preflight with a flashlight and be sure no bird's or rats nests are in the engine area. Watch for spider webs and scorpions in case any have moved in while it sat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are worried about the oil having drained down, pull the coil wire and crank it until the oil light goes off. Shouldn't take long, but if it takes longer than 15 seconds let the starter cool for 30-60 seconds for every 15 seconds of cranking.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently started up a Bus after about 2 years.
I rotated the engine a few times by hand, then cranked it with the coil wire off until the oil light went out.
Then I let it sit for a second to let the starter and other parts rest a little, then started it for real.
No issues.

I would immediately add some fresh gas once you drive it around too.
I agree on check the tire pressure right away too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go through the trouble of pulling the spark plugs on my season opener (I pull my bus off the road Nov-Apr). Gives a faster spin to get the oil flowing and more importantly takes the compression load off of the bearings. This is even more helpful when you are running thick oil and/or have hydro lifters.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys....and yes Mike, I was/am still planning to wait to start until it "cools down" which can't come soon enough..just wanted to know what to do when the day finally arrives....can't tell you all how hard it is to walk by the bus every day in the garage, dust it off, check it over..and keep pulling out interior stuff that I can work on inside the house. Have now pulled out all of the cabinets in the rear, have reglued all of the original laminate, sanded and re-finished all of the wooden shelves inside the cabinetry,and have stretched and re-attached all of the black rubber moulding strips...they look geat! The pile of stuff to re-install is growing in our 3rd bedroom... Bob
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, it was a 115 today. There might be a cool 106 day next week. Will that be cool enough for you?
If or when you could use a hand give me a buzz. Are you going to have the interior back in before you fire it up? That would make you double proud the first time you roll down your street. I'm really anxious to see that beauty again and all your hard detail work. And cranking it a bit to get lube before you give it ignition sounds like a good thing to do.

I know that your fuel lines are all wonderful but you didn't mention that in your first post. Only mentioning that now for the benefit of others starting their buses after they have been sitting.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

106 is stil "over the top" for me...have to wait until we get below 100.....and then do an early morning when it would be around 90 or so....and I would b honored to have you there! We have been up in Payson the past 2 week ends to get out of the heat. Shopping for our retirement home, hoping to find a house with a garage and some room around it so we could also find space for a "tough shed"..to build on another small garage for my workshop....unfortunately, it is going to be too costly to add a garage to our little house there, as the grade to the right side of the house is too steep, and will entail a new retaining Wall ($$$$), and the cost goes up\up and away from there.Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: