Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van feng shui (your interior)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Van feng shui (your interior) Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of mechanical work recently and I think its time time for some interior stuff.. Looking for simple ideas to make my interior more efficient. Like a net that hangs above your stove to hold stuff, I think ive seen that before? or pockets that hang on the back of your seats? any type of unique mounts for surf boards? what type of stuff do you guys have going on inside your vans? Cool I just have a big porto toilet in the center of my van...that i'll one day use? I think its time to ditch it, doesn't it look fabulous ( and blocks storage) do you have/had one?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ditch the porta potty. (and this is coming from a female!)

How often will you truly need it? I have lived in my van and never have I had to use anything other than a nalgene bottle. If it's #2 I go out and dig a hole, if there's no loo.

I spend a lot of time traveling/living in my van. I have found that the best way is the simple way, meaning a sparse environment. As far as feng shui is concerned (flow of energy) I think keeping things open and tidy ties into that. If you're not really using it put it up high (roof box) or down low (under bench seat).

I have the net you're talking about and like it for towels and jackets. Back of seat organizers, in my opinion, collect a lot of junk. However; with kids this might be different. I seem to be able to put what could go in the organizer in the glove compartment. If I do need more space for doodads I typically will use a backpack or fanny pack with the shoulder straps/waist belt around the seat back.

I also like these things for organizing:

They're mountainsmith cubes. I don't have a Westy so they're my "cabinets".

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
I would ditch the porta potty. (and this is coming from a female!)

How often will you truly need it? I have lived in my van and never have I had to use anything other than a nalgene bottle. If it's #2 I go out and dig a hole, if there's no loo.

I spend a lot of time traveling/living in my van. I have found that the best way is the simple way, meaning a sparse environment. As far as feng shui is concerned (flow of energy) I think keeping things open and tidy ties into that. If you're not really using it put it up high (roof box) or down low (under bench seat).

I have the net you're talking about and like it for towels and jackets. Back of seat organizers, in my opinion, collect a lot of junk. However; with kids this might be different. I seem to be able to put what could go in the organizer in the glove compartment. If I do need more space for doodads I typically will use a backpack or fanny pack with the shoulder straps/waist belt around the seat back.

I also like these things for organizing:

They're mountainsmith cubes. I don't have a Westy so they're my "cabinets".

looking good! feng shui was kinda a joke for the title, just wondering how people have their interiors set up to maximize space. yours is looking good. I got the porta poty for free when i got the van. haven't used it yet, and im ready to sell it, or give it away for free or something. ha
jacklndn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl: blue and white box behind the drivers seat, looks like it might be a refrigerator? If so, what make, and how well does it work? Thx.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ARB 50 qt fridge/freezer!! Didn't know I'd be saying this now but I'll never go back to a cooler with ice. Totally worth the investment.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: head. Some people rely on having a head readily available and the one you have is serious money so I'd be making sure you have no need for it in the forseeable future. You could jazz it up by making a cover for it.

Hammocks are great things and add some character to inside. You can brighten up an interior with a colorful throw, floor covering. Look at thousands of pics of interiors and get some ideas of what fits your likes and needs. I have organizers on my fridge door and on one of my rear cupboards and find them handy and not messy. I've added an animal print material for my back seat and mattress and used black and animal material for my side curtains. My inside is very cozy, sorta old fashioned/modern and suits my liking and needs.

You need to be creative if you know you, otherwise look at many many vans and pics to get some ideas.

Don't give the head away, cover it and make a foot rest at foot of reversed passenger seat &/or an extra seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
...Back of seat organizers, in my opinion, collect a lot of junk. However; with kids this might be different...

My parents would put one of those hanging shoe organizers on the back of the front seat for us kids to put little stuff in. Fine until my (car-sick prone) sister tossed her lunch in there. Hit every pocket in one shot.

Every trip I seem to take less than the last time. The nuisance of not having what I need is far out-weighed by the joy of simplicity.

First aid kit. fire extinguisher & basic tools are always on board.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the toilet if you camp often. After eight years of camping in my old westy without one, I never thought I would use one. When I got my new westy it also came with a porta potty and we decided to try it out and concluded it's a great thing to have.
There isn't always time to dig a hole and if you're camping with others you don't want them looking at your piss-filled water bottles. Some camp sites may have no facilities or really disgusting ones.
You can build a cabinet for it that will give you extra storage when you leave the potty at home and give you an extra seat. Mine came with an original one of these with a cushion on top:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23278&category_id=&category_parent_id=
In fact, we are so sold on the concept that we upgraded to a better quality toilet and sold the original!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

My parents would put one of those hanging shoe organizers on the back of the front seat for us kids to put little stuff in. Fine until my (car-sick prone) sister tossed her lunch in there. Hit every pocket in one shot.

Laughing long distance shooter! takes a fair amount of lunch to reach the back of the front seat from the rear bench! I'm glad you posted this, I have been thinking just about this to resolve my shoe storage issue in the Westy, I have been looking for a hanging shoe organizer for the back of the seat but have found nothing yet, I looked online and at BB&B, next stop is IKEA, any suggestions? The traditional organizer sold by GoWesty and others does not quite work for shoes.

About the porta potty, it all depends on your needs! I have two kids. Absolutely needed. Two weekends in a row we went to Stinson Beach, parked on private roads next to the beach access and away from public toilets, the porta potty was the best thing we brought along...kids had to do #2 both days. Wife will not leave the house without it.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
feng shui was kinda a joke for the title

That's good, because to be feng shui you would always have to park with the slider facing down to the river, the hill sloping up from your left flank, the prevailing wind coming in off your port stern, and never open both front doors or the slider and side windows at the same time.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
I have been looking for a hanging shoe organizer for the back of the seat but have found nothing yet, I looked online and at BB&B, next stop is IKEA, any suggestions? The traditional organizer sold by GoWesty and others does not quite work for shoes..

Try a Target or even Walmart in their storage boxes or closet area.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the important thing is to set your Van up for proper fang chewie

so your dog is happy
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since I am not as handy with tools as most of you, I do fiddle around a lot on the interior of my van. curtains, rugs, organization, racks, hooks, lights... it's cozy. I love the westfalia because if you pack right, there really is a place for almost everything. before our last trip, I tried the trick some have shared of removing the front half of the bed and the matteress. the extra room is pretty helpful for bedding storage.

we usually try to pack every nook and cranny with all we need, and now that we put things in the same place everytime, it is easy to find stuff and keeps it neat to put it away when done. this is a big help. everytime we go somewhere, we have less and less stuff on the floor and seats and more stuff has found a place to be stowed. unless the dogs go along and we bring their crates (2 rottweilers so they take up a lot of room) all the extra we take are folding chairs and table and small ice chest.

I've found folding stuff to be helpful. step stool, dish pan and dish drainer, toilet, all fits either under the seat or under rear table.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
madspaniard wrote:
I have been looking for a hanging shoe organizer for the back of the seat but have found nothing yet, I looked online and at BB&B, next stop is IKEA, any suggestions? The traditional organizer sold by GoWesty and others does not quite work for shoes..

Try a Target or even Walmart in their storage boxes or closet area.

Might be long enough you could cut it in two for both seats:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/8195155?adid=22222222227...mp;veh=sem

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jacklndn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I have organizers on my fridge door and on one of my rear cupboards and find them handy and not messy.

Hey, DAIZEE,

What kind of organizers are these, and what do they hold? Any chance you have photos?

We *love* organization!

Thanks!
BitterBeerFace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the top bunk out of my westy and use that space for storage now. It was a "damnit, I'm leaving in 2 days and need to ghetto-rig this" job, but it's working so far. (9 days into a 4-week trip)

I have a camp chair and two big totes full of clothes up there now. Took the hinges for the top bunk out and made a wooden 'retaining wall' that fits into those screw holes to hold it somewhat securely. It can be removed with the top down to slide the totes out, or left in with the top up.

Otherwise, my van is pretty much stock and pretty much always a mess when I'm travelling. Sandals, shoes, hiking boots on the floor. Backpack on the floor, misc junk everywhere...

I do like my front seat set up... since I'm flying solo on this trip, I can make the passenger seat area in my own convenience seat. Big cooler in the seat keeps drinks cold, and the top is a great big flat (leans into the seat, so when braking, the stuff doesn't slide off) place to leave maps etc. On the floor in front of seat is 32-packs of water bottles. All are easily accessible while driving.

One mod I'm going to look into is a greatly increased 'rain gutter' over the westy kitchen. It looks to me like you could get at least a 6-inch 'channel' there... a lot of the misc junk that floats around could end up in there.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: porta potty in van Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I got a porta potty with my van to. Never used it but like having it. Then one day a light went off, what a great doggie bowl for his water. It can't spill open the lid put in water all done. Need fresh water, dump pump in fresh and go! But it helps to have a dog to do this! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll takke some pics and try to post them.

The one on the fridge holds flashlite, dish cloth, dish towel, etc....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a cover for the portapotti, take it out when not overnighting. I am considering the removal of the flip and mattress for storage, only 2 of us. Hadn't considered the underbed storage cases. Great idea for fold-able bedding.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park the porta potty behind the passenger seat and put a cloth cover over it and nobody will ever know its a toilet, like this,

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: