Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pit man arm for lowered super?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: pit man arm for lowered super? Reply with quote

So I'm buying a 73 Super thats been lowered. very very low, and when you take hard left turns the pitman arm hits the lower control arm. If you turn hard enough it jumps across the arm and steers fine, but I would like to fix this issue before I have to make a split second descision and my steering binds Shocked

Does anyone make a pitman arm for a lowered bug? Or should I just heat the bastard up and try to bend it?
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1968 bug on CJ 5 chassis w/ super swampers
1970 Baja
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: pit man arm for lowered super? Reply with quote

We use

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tie-Rod-Relocation-Kit-Pair-6613-11-p/6613-11.htm

to relocate the rod end to a position that offers more room. Put it in the bottom of the spindle instead of the top.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: pit man arm for lowered super? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
We use

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tie-Rod-Relocation-Kit-Pair-6613-11-p/6613-11.htm

to relocate the rod end to a position that offers more room. Put it in the bottom of the spindle instead of the top.

Awesome, thanks for the link! I'll be ordering those as soon as I get the bug.
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with mine when it was really low many years back

Its the steering box drop arm hitting on the control arm, relocating the tie rod ends isn't going to help with the problem, they only relocate the tie rod ends not the control arm or the steering box drop arm.
but they are an important thing to have on a lowered car anyway to stop bump steer and the tie rods bending on the body.

It's happening because the struts obviously don't have any or too smaller rubber bump stops.
Get some proper bump stops in there and it will stop.

If you try bending the drop arm it throw the steering geometry out.

I've seen some very hack solutions in bagged supers like cutting the section out of the control arm or making new control arms with bends in them
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
I had the same problem with mine when it was really low many years back

Its the steering box drop arm hitting on the control arm, relocating the tie rod ends isn't going to help with the problem, they only relocate the tie rod ends not the control arm or the steering box drop arm.
but they are an important thing to have on a lowered car anyway to stop bump steer and the tie rods bending on the body.

It's happening because the struts obviously don't have any or too smaller rubber bump stops.
Get some proper bump stops in there and it will stop.

If you try bending the drop arm it throw the steering geometry out.

I've seen some very hack solutions in bagged supers like cutting the section out of the control arm or making new control arms with bends in them

Thats a little more clear. Well, he mentioned that before he bought the adjustable struts he just cut the springs. so right now it has cut springs AND adjustable struts on their lowest setting. probably the lowest non body dropped super out there Laughing I suppose I'll pick up a set of topline springs and raise it up a little bit. The rear is on bump stops now
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: