Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
What am I missing here?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist


Joined: April 14, 2004
Posts: 7442
Location: Hablamos Ingles, So. Cal.
Dave24 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: What am I missing here? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1345441

Seriously? Neat history, but not $80k neat in my book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member


Joined: July 06, 2011
Posts: 40

danbelick@sbcglobal.net is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What am I missing here? Reply with quote

I emailed him to ask if there was an extra zero in the price...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member


Joined: April 08, 2008
Posts: 722
Location: New Windsor, NY
77kafer is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us posted.
_________________
Supposed to be 77käfer, but there are no umlauts on an american keyboard

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member


Joined: December 12, 2002
Posts: 2010

oasis is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all by its build date and VIN, it is a 1970 model year. So that immediately throws into question the number that were built because was it 1969 as in calendar year or 1969 as in model year. I sort of roll my eyes when I see production numbers anyway because I have seen all sorts of claims on eBay and elsewhere where I have seen production numbers not matching what I have seen published. Has anyone ever seen documented production numbers--total, by year, by country of manufacture, etc.?

I'd be curious about the title, too, given the model year inaccuracy.

Then, there's the (not mentioned) updated steering wheel and glove box door. And the side mirrors are not on the door. These are plusses in my book, but it does take away from the originality which may be important to someone who would consider any five-figure price much less one laughably close to six figures.

Generally, I'm seeing mostly 181's priced optimistically, in need of the proverbial TLC, or both. Too bad. I'm hot to get one.
_________________
Now: 2003 New Beetle Turbo S / 2014 Tiguan R-Line 4motion / 2013 Tiguan S / 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Past: 1974 Thing Acapulco / 2009 Eos Komfort / 1997 Jetta GT / 2002 Cabrio GLX / 2002 Passat GLS / 1971 Super Beetle / 1993 EuroVan MV Westfalia / 1981 Pickup LX / 1985 Vanagon / 1986 Jetta GLI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010


Joined: December 25, 2001
Posts: 67906
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Glenn is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

Can't you read... Kubles are very rare and valuable.
_________________
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Cast Iron and Aluminum distributors rebuilt since 2000.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member


Joined: December 12, 2002
Posts: 2010

oasis is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

Can't you read... Kubles are very rare and valuable.


Sometimes I just miss the obvious. Wink
_________________
Now: 2003 New Beetle Turbo S / 2014 Tiguan R-Line 4motion / 2013 Tiguan S / 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Past: 1974 Thing Acapulco / 2009 Eos Komfort / 1997 Jetta GT / 2002 Cabrio GLX / 2002 Passat GLS / 1971 Super Beetle / 1993 EuroVan MV Westfalia / 1981 Pickup LX / 1985 Vanagon / 1986 Jetta GLI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 42082

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be a dual port engine. When did VW start using those in the 181 line?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 19, 2004
Posts: 743
Location: Everett
SilverThing is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several things that jumped out at me at first glance. Oddly enough, I read the description before I looked at the pictures. An AL code engine is a 181 engine, but it isn't correct for an early 181. Early 181 should have an H code 1500cc single port engine. I think the 1500cc was used up into 1971 for the M63 models, but only through 1970 for the zivil. (I happen to have the correct carburetor for an M63 1500...). If the carburetor is original to that engine, I would love to examine it. I've been curious as to how VW set up the 181 M63 34pict3 for a non-vacuum advance distributor.

The model year should be 1970 (assuming VW followed their normal model year convention for early 181), but it very well could have been built in Nov of 1969. I don't know off hand how VW numbered the 1969 model year.

The steering column is not correct. It shouldn't have a 4 spoke steering wheel and the wiper switch should be mounted on the dash and not the steering column. The steering column wiper switch didn't come about until mid 73 (the same time as the 4 spoke steering wheel and IRS rear suspension).

I've heard early 181 fenders have a different shape to the turn signal rib than later, but I honestly couldn't tell from the picture.

I realize the top has been replaced, but Thingshop still has original olive drab tops the last time I talked to them. I don't think they do the olive drab sidewindows anymore though...

Glovebox door is not original nor are the mirror mounts. The cupholders just replace the ashtray.

I'm not a fan of rhino lining.

Cool car, but I wouldn't pay 80k for it (I wouldn't pay 80k for any car honestly). I like trying to keep things stock and that seems like too much of a longshot for me to even consider what I might be willing to pay if I were in the market again.
_________________
"I like how everyone likes talking about Zeke's Thing yet he's the only one that's ever seen it." - Katie
"I've seen pictures..." - Jeremy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North


Joined: August 09, 2000
Posts: 19222
Location: Land of Whine and Phonies
crofty is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a complete off body restoration and the Kubel is in great shape.


I have to say on the passengers front fender there is a rust spot , I want to be up front with everyone and truthful.


Resto-fail.
_________________
When in doubt, logo it out!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1 THING
Samba Member


Joined: September 23, 2011
Posts: 245
Location: Murray, KY
1 THING is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What am I missing here? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I emailed him to ask if there was an extra zero in the price...
Surprised Laughing

you arent missing anything, it's WAY overpriced!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
waxhead
Samba Member


Joined: January 19, 2004
Posts: 927
Location: Philly 'burbs
waxhead is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be a typo. $8,000 sounds about right for that car.
_________________
Mike B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist


Joined: April 14, 2004
Posts: 7442
Location: Hablamos Ingles, So. Cal.
Dave24 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

Can't you read... Kubles are very rare and valuable.
I can read, and I can also see. Wink Laughing .
I asked firstly because it's a 181, not a Kubel... German military service does not make a 181 a "kubel". Second, I just found the $$$$$ rediculous. I'd rather have a real Kubel, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1340050, and the change ($35k). Wink Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member


Joined: August 08, 2006
Posts: 8937
Location: West By God Virginia
joescoolcustoms is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread should have the title changed to a "Thing Whine" thread and become a sticky.
_________________
UnKlear Racing TAT 2020
Bad News Racing 2018 NORRA 1000 3rd in class, 120/270 overall

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North


Joined: August 09, 2000
Posts: 19222
Location: Land of Whine and Phonies
crofty is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
This thread should have the title changed to a "Thing Whine" thread and become a sticky.


http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365292&highlight=whine

I tried that a few years back.
_________________
When in doubt, logo it out!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2009
Posts: 1128
Location: the Hills of Western Maine
Yarkle is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

Can't you read... Kubles are very rare and valuable.
I can read, and I can also see. Wink Laughing .
I asked firstly because it's a 181, not a Kubel... German military service does not make a 181 a "kubel". Second, I just found the $$$$$ rediculous. I'd rather have a real Kubel, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1340050, and the change ($35k). Wink Very Happy


I think Glenn was being sarcastic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doc*181
Samba Member


Joined: December 09, 2003
Posts: 479
Location: Belgium
Doc*181 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverThing wrote:
There were several things that jumped out at me at first glance. Oddly enough, I read the description before I looked at the pictures. An AL code engine is a 181 engine, but it isn't correct for an early 181. Early 181 should have an H code 1500cc single port engine. I think the 1500cc was used up into 1971 for the M63 models, but only through 1970 for the zivil. (I happen to have the correct carburetor for an M63 1500...). If the carburetor is original to that engine, I would love to examine it. I've been curious as to how VW set up the 181 M63 34pict3 for a non-vacuum advance distributor.

The model year should be 1970 (assuming VW followed their normal model year convention for early 181), but it very well could have been built in Nov of 1969. I don't know off hand how VW numbered the 1969 model year.

The steering column is not correct. It shouldn't have a 4 spoke steering wheel and the wiper switch should be mounted on the dash and not the steering column. The steering column wiper switch didn't come about until mid 73 (the same time as the 4 spoke steering wheel and IRS rear suspension).

I've heard early 181 fenders have a different shape to the turn signal rib than later, but I honestly couldn't tell from the picture.

I realize the top has been replaced, but Thingshop still has original olive drab tops the last time I talked to them. I don't think they do the olive drab sidewindows anymore though...

Glovebox door is not original nor are the mirror mounts. The cupholders just replace the ashtray.

I'm not a fan of rhino lining.

Cool car, but I wouldn't pay 80k for it (I wouldn't pay 80k for any car honestly). I like trying to keep things stock and that seems like too much of a longshot for me to even consider what I might be willing to pay if I were in the market again.


Turn signal rib/foot should be smaller for an early 181 (appr. the contours of the lens itself). When larger US lenses got in use, the rib got larger and this 'new' fendertype was used for all thing/safari/181 production.

Another item that is not correct for an early 181 is the passenger handlebar, it should be smaller (from a beetle), not the long bar.

VW181 speedo before 1972 had a max. of 140km shown, after 1972 they changed it to 160km. Don't know why they changed that. Rolling Eyes

From what I can see, I guess this 181 is made from 2 cars: early chassis + late body/engine.

In general, the car looks good and can be driven immediatly after purchase. But price is not correct. Even 8000 dollars is a bit on the high end. For that price it should have a correct top and windows, the real body colour, no rust and the blackout lights mounted.
_________________
Thing stuff:
http://vw181.skynetblogs.be/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member


Joined: August 08, 2006
Posts: 8937
Location: West By God Virginia
joescoolcustoms is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to have '73 and later seat belts.

The pictures are not detailed enough to determine what year the CD player is from.
_________________
UnKlear Racing TAT 2020
Bad News Racing 2018 NORRA 1000 3rd in class, 120/270 overall

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist


Joined: April 14, 2004
Posts: 7442
Location: Hablamos Ingles, So. Cal.
Dave24 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
Dave24 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

Can't you read... Kubles are very rare and valuable.
I can read, and I can also see. Wink Laughing .
I asked firstly because it's a 181, not a Kubel... German military service does not make a 181 a "kubel". Second, I just found the $$$$$ rediculous. I'd rather have a real Kubel, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1340050, and the change ($35k). Wink Very Happy


I think Glenn was being sarcastic
Yep, and I was too (a bit, anyway). Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist


Joined: April 14, 2004
Posts: 7442
Location: Hablamos Ingles, So. Cal.
Dave24 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Looks to have '73 and later seat belts.

The pictures are not detailed enough to determine what year the CD player is from.
Safe bet that it's not from '69-70. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2005
Posts: 5167
Location: The Blue Ridge Mountains of VA
NOVA Airhead is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will note there is no currency on the price. It just says "80,000". Presumably it is not US currency!
_________________
Ghia Owner Emeritus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB