Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What am I missing here?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: What am I missing here? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1345441

Seriously? Neat history, but not $80k neat in my book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What am I missing here? Reply with quote

I emailed him to ask if there was an extra zero in the price...
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us posted.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all by its build date and VIN, it is a 1970 model year. So that immediately throws into question the number that were built because was it 1969 as in calendar year or 1969 as in model year. I sort of roll my eyes when I see production numbers anyway because I have seen all sorts of claims on eBay and elsewhere where I have seen production numbers not matching what I have seen published. Has anyone ever seen documented production numbers--total, by year, by country of manufacture, etc.?

I'd be curious about the title, too, given the model year inaccuracy.

Then, there's the (not mentioned) updated steering wheel and glove box door. And the side mirrors are not on the door. These are plusses in my book, but it does take away from the originality which may be important to someone who would consider any five-figure price much less one laughably close to six figures.

Generally, I'm seeing mostly 181's priced optimistically, in need of the proverbial TLC, or both. Too bad. I'm hot to get one.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

Can't you read... Kubles are very rare and valuable.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

Sometimes I just miss the obvious. Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be a dual port engine. When did VW start using those in the 181 line?
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several things that jumped out at me at first glance. Oddly enough, I read the description before I looked at the pictures. An AL code engine is a 181 engine, but it isn't correct for an early 181. Early 181 should have an H code 1500cc single port engine. I think the 1500cc was used up into 1971 for the M63 models, but only through 1970 for the zivil. (I happen to have the correct carburetor for an M63 1500...). If the carburetor is original to that engine, I would love to examine it. I've been curious as to how VW set up the 181 M63 34pict3 for a non-vacuum advance distributor.

The model year should be 1970 (assuming VW followed their normal model year convention for early 181), but it very well could have been built in Nov of 1969. I don't know off hand how VW numbered the 1969 model year.

The steering column is not correct. It shouldn't have a 4 spoke steering wheel and the wiper switch should be mounted on the dash and not the steering column. The steering column wiper switch didn't come about until mid 73 (the same time as the 4 spoke steering wheel and IRS rear suspension).

I've heard early 181 fenders have a different shape to the turn signal rib than later, but I honestly couldn't tell from the picture.

I realize the top has been replaced, but Thingshop still has original olive drab tops the last time I talked to them. I don't think they do the olive drab sidewindows anymore though...

Glovebox door is not original nor are the mirror mounts. The cupholders just replace the ashtray.

I'm not a fan of rhino lining.

Cool car, but I wouldn't pay 80k for it (I wouldn't pay 80k for any car honestly). I like trying to keep things stock and that seems like too much of a longshot for me to even consider what I might be willing to pay if I were in the market again.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a complete off body restoration and the Kubel is in great shape.

I have to say on the passengers front fender there is a rust spot , I want to be up front with everyone and truthful.

Resto-fail.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What am I missing here? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I emailed him to ask if there was an extra zero in the price...
Surprised Laughing

you arent missing anything, it's WAY overpriced!
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be a typo. $8,000 sounds about right for that car.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

I can read, and I can also see. Wink Laughing .
I asked firstly because it's a 181, not a Kubel... German military service does not make a 181 a "kubel". Second, I just found the $$$$$ rediculous. I'd rather have a real Kubel, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1340050, and the change ($35k). Wink Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread should have the title changed to a "Thing Whine" thread and become a sticky.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
This thread should have the title changed to a "Thing Whine" thread and become a sticky.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365292&highlight=whine

I tried that a few years back.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

I asked firstly because it's a 181, not a Kubel... German military service does not make a 181 a "kubel". Second, I just found the $$$$$ rediculous. I'd rather have a real Kubel, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1340050, and the change ($35k). Wink Very Happy

I think Glenn was being sarcastic
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverThing wrote:
There were several things that jumped out at me at first glance. Oddly enough, I read the description before I looked at the pictures. An AL code engine is a 181 engine, but it isn't correct for an early 181. Early 181 should have an H code 1500cc single port engine. I think the 1500cc was used up into 1971 for the M63 models, but only through 1970 for the zivil. (I happen to have the correct carburetor for an M63 1500...). If the carburetor is original to that engine, I would love to examine it. I've been curious as to how VW set up the 181 M63 34pict3 for a non-vacuum advance distributor.

The model year should be 1970 (assuming VW followed their normal model year convention for early 181), but it very well could have been built in Nov of 1969. I don't know off hand how VW numbered the 1969 model year.

The steering column is not correct. It shouldn't have a 4 spoke steering wheel and the wiper switch should be mounted on the dash and not the steering column. The steering column wiper switch didn't come about until mid 73 (the same time as the 4 spoke steering wheel and IRS rear suspension).

I've heard early 181 fenders have a different shape to the turn signal rib than later, but I honestly couldn't tell from the picture.

I realize the top has been replaced, but Thingshop still has original olive drab tops the last time I talked to them. I don't think they do the olive drab sidewindows anymore though...

Glovebox door is not original nor are the mirror mounts. The cupholders just replace the ashtray.

I'm not a fan of rhino lining.

Cool car, but I wouldn't pay 80k for it (I wouldn't pay 80k for any car honestly). I like trying to keep things stock and that seems like too much of a longshot for me to even consider what I might be willing to pay if I were in the market again.

Turn signal rib/foot should be smaller for an early 181 (appr. the contours of the lens itself). When larger US lenses got in use, the rib got larger and this 'new' fendertype was used for all thing/safari/181 production.

Another item that is not correct for an early 181 is the passenger handlebar, it should be smaller (from a beetle), not the long bar.

VW181 speedo before 1972 had a max. of 140km shown, after 1972 they changed it to 160km. Don't know why they changed that. Rolling Eyes

From what I can see, I guess this 181 is made from 2 cars: early chassis + late body/engine.

In general, the car looks good and can be driven immediatly after purchase. But price is not correct. Even 8000 dollars is a bit on the high end. For that price it should have a correct top and windows, the real body colour, no rust and the blackout lights mounted.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to have '73 and later seat belts.

The pictures are not detailed enough to determine what year the CD player is from.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
Dave24 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Quote:
KUBELWAGEN

I think Glenn was being sarcastic
Yep, and I was too (a bit, anyway). Very Happy
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Looks to have '73 and later seat belts.

The pictures are not detailed enough to determine what year the CD player is from.
Safe bet that it's not from '69-70. Laughing
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will note there is no currency on the price. It just says "80,000". Presumably it is not US currency!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: