Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne Edition Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kirk- Just wanted to throw a couple of these around for colors. Idk what the OG color codes were, but these colors are what I like to see on nice stripes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I much prefer this look. Especially the earlier hubs. Will thosee earlier caps just fit on to a late bay wheel I wonder?

THOSE COLORS!! Razz

And now that I see them side by side... The top stripe on the first pic looks like the same shade as the middle stripe on the second pic....interesting.

Kirk, if you have any info on stripes, PLEASE PM ME!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
She moves under her own power ish. Hard to wake her from hibernation. I need the "gaskets" under the intake runners now. One was non existant and the other is dust.

Phenolic blocks. Can you find them local or is a bus depot kind of order?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a bus depot order. Imma call around today.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thisguyfel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagged you in one of my instagram shots of a '78 bay, in the same colorway that my family had. i would love to get a hold of it again, and attempt a resto. my dad had donated it when someone looked at the engine and suggested it was going to be too much to repair?! ... this was '95 or so.

but if i was to get a 78, i would much rather a camper.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real updates yet.

Camped off a towbar weekend before last (peer pressures a bitch) and got super motivated to drive this by the weekend.

Was given a roll of brown upholstery for the seat redo:

Thats all for later. I got a super nifty box o parts:

and my vacuum line kit from German Supply. This is what a $100 kit gets you.

So I pulled the intake runners off tonight so I could replace the pheowhatever blocks. Both were worn, clearly thinner than the replacements, but not as bad as they appeared at first. I have them, so I replaced them. I kept the better of the two old ones for a "spare". Got the vaccum line kit installed. I had several that were cracked pretty bad. I got hung up on the passenger side intake runner. Several things. First, the stud that holds the injector ring in unscrewed from the #1 side. Then #2 the stud is completely stripped. IT spins and wont unscrew to release the clip to release the injector. I assume this is bad, and I worry that the injectors wont seat right if you cant snug that down. I have a spare intake runner that I can use, but they arent side specific are they? Also, look here:

One has a seal and the other doesnt? I thought I remember that the seal should be in the intake runner, not on top as pictured on the right. Thoughts?

Recap:
Intake Runners - side specific?
Stripped studs = replace, correct?
Vacuum Kit = Deal or no deal Wink

Thanks in advance. And big thanks to James (jmitsu76) for answering texts with random garbled messages from me while deep in the bowels of a bus. 'Preciate that.

One day ill wise up and quit messing with FI buses. Rolling Eyes

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the tires!! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, intake runners are side specific.

Replace the studs, or put a thick washer or spacer over the stud (covering the damaged threads), and then tighten the nut on top of the spacer where the threads are still good. These are not hardened, so 5 ftlbs max.

Vacuum kit? Made my own with OE materials for about the same money, and that covered everything possible.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:

Replace the studs, or put a thick washer or spacer over the stud (covering the damaged threads), and then tighten the nut on top of the spacer where the threads are still good. These are not hardened, so 5 ftlbs max.

Vacuum kit? Made my own with OE materials for about the same money, and that covered everything possible.

Thanks for nothing. I told him the runners weren't side specific. Oh well. I also learn new stuff here everyday.

Kirk. Keep the FI faith brother. Or buy a set of sweet Dell's for the bear. Very Happy

2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstu76 wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:

Thanks for nothing. I told him the runners weren't side specific. Oh well. I also learn new stuff here everyday.

Kirk. Keep the FI faith brother. Or buy a set of sweet Dell's for the bear. Very Happy

Sorry James. They will mount on either side, but the plenum is an odd shape, so the runners have a long tube and a short tube to mate properly with the plenum ports. I'm sure you could mount them on either side, but there is a natural fit and not so natural fit.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collie wrote:
Love the tires!! Cool

X2, give us all the specs on them. That style tire just makes a stock height or lifted bus look like its getting ready for some serious business. I love it.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BF Goodrich All Terrain 195/75/14. Since I bought these, a couple other people on here liked them enough to buy them. (notchboy, skid, couple others) I love them. Heavier than my Vanco2s, but super sturdy and do well on trails.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:

Sorry James. They will mount on either side, but the plenum is an odd shape, so the runners have a long tube and a short tube to mate properly with the plenum ports. I'm sure you could mount them on either side, but there is a natural fit and not so natural fit.

This may explain why they arent seating well at the plenum. Since I have both off to paint, Ill find my spare and see which of these kids is doing the wrong thing. Wonder if I can get injector seals at the FLAPS.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:

BF Goodrich All Terrain 195/75/14. Since I bought these, a couple other people on here liked them enough to buy them. (notchboy, skid, couple others) I love them. Heavier than my Vanco2s, but super sturdy and do well on trails.

Those are BAD.ASS!!! Cool

How's the road noise? MPG?
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MRshotglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good Kirk! I've got a few extra FI parts. If you need anything, let me know.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk, are you recovering that blue seat cushion???? i know someone who will buy that off you!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:

This may explain why they arent seating well at the plenum. Since I have both off to paint, Ill find my spare and see which of these kids is doing the wrong thing. Wonder if I can get injector seals at the FLAPS.

There is a diesel shop that rebuilds injectors of all types. They have the correct seals on hand. This is in Okc though. Makes some calls around your area to FLAPS and diesel injector shops.

busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstu76 wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:

There is a diesel shop that rebuilds injectors of all types. They have the correct seals on hand. This is in Okc though. Makes some calls around your area to FLAPS and diesel injector shops.

There's one in the Tulsa area too. Thompson diesel. It's around $12 per injector to run them thru the Bosch machine.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your bus looks great jason. a few years ago i had an opportunity to buy a '78 champagne just like that one and it didn't work out, still wish it had. there's something about that exact model that i really appreciate.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
your bus looks great jason. a few years ago i had an opportunity to buy a '78 champagne just like that one and it didn't work out, still wish it had. there's something about that exact model that i really appreciate.

Kirk?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:
your bus looks great jason...

Kirk?

maybe i got that wrong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: