Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bringing a '73 Westy back to life...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to sell your interior? I like the spice rack and table you have there if it's any good!
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've already traded off all of the original interior that was useable.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the full flow setup mostly wrapped up still gotta pick up some clamps to hold all the oil lines so they don't rub.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picked up some GoWesty Vanagon outlets to hookup the electric and water. These are way better than the stock outlets!

Here is a pic of the wood flooring and half the interior together.

shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are really motivated. Nice work
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished up mounting the bench/bed today, it took some more fiddling with to account for the higher floor height from the hardwood. The rear padding from the Vanagon needed some trimming to fit in the rear. Just about everything is ready to take to upholstery after Christmas.

Got the sink drain hole drilled and mounted up but i ended up braking the faucet in the process... Still need to drill the holes for the gas lines and the hole for the gray water tank.
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far. I agree, early doors belong on early buses. Cat wait to see the green all over that thing.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Bringing a '73 Westy back to life... with a vagaon interior Reply with quote

Hauled the seats and pads to the upholsterer this week, should be done in another week.

Also used the hole saw to make the holes in the floor for the grey water tank and mock-up its location. I had to trim the middle cabinet a bit to get it to fit but nothing major. I guess the Vanagons had about a 6" longer wheel base than the bay windows.

Last week i managed to break off the port for the grey water on the faucet so i installed a SHURflo faucet kit from GoWesty. Its not a bad setup and the check valve worked great when testing it with city water hooked up.

Also fixed the line from the upper brake fluid resivour to the lower resivour. I had to replace the lower resivour with one from a later bay when replacing the master cylinder. my initial solution was to use a long piece or hose connecting the two but that was prone to get air bubbles and prevent fluid from draining from the upper to the lower resivour. I took some stainless steel tubing from the fuel hard lines I made and put a 180 degree bend in it. Now the fluid fills the lower resivour with no problems .
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I made a tow bar for the bus from an old beetle tow bar that was bent from towing a lowered beetle with a lifted truck. Rolling Eyes In the end it would have been easier to start fresh and make the bar from scratch but i didn't have that much scrap material.

Also purchased an Innovate MTX-L A/F and an EGT/CHT gauges to keep an eye on things. I hope to get these installed next weekend but with school starting again my time to spend with the bus maybe reduced.

Last edited by levi20AE on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice work there and I was happy to see the Fram HP1 filter, cool! Very Happy
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the last few gussets welded onto the tow bar this morning. It should be more than strong enough to tow a bus now. I primered and painted it then remembered that i still needed to drill the holes for the bolts that go over the beam.

This afternoon ill probably drill all the holes in the floor to hold down the sink/stove unit and the other cabinets.
taylorb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a question about your remote oil cooler.....do you think the fan is 100% necessary? or could someone use that location without a fan and still have good air flow over the cooler?

76 STD Bug-Sold
71 Transporter Converted To Camper.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure yet, I haven't been able to drive it. My plan is to install an LED light next to the oil temp gauge. The LED will light when the fan is turned on by the thermostat, which is set for 190 I believe. Ill be sure and report back my findings. After welding in the new floor brace I realized how strong it was. Since the only weight over the brace is the water tank I plan to put a few 1" holes in the brace, if fans come one too much to promote airflow.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the seats back from the upholster last week. They came out really nice in my opinion. It's nice to have a seat to sit on when planning the next steps to getting the bus back on the road.

Also I ended up with some extra Gerson panels that I ended up not needing while working on the rockers. I have the inner and middle rocker for the passenger side and the upper outer panel for the driver's side. I'll be putting them up for sale in the classifieds in the next few days.

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good there, tow bar looks stout, seats look sweet, fine bus. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just caught up on your build. I'm liking it! Nice work!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The semester began in January and free time has been at a premium these past two months. I had a chance to play with the bus a week ago. I managed to wire up the A/F ratio gauge and the CHT/EGT gauge. While wiring the CHT gauge I used a 4 in 1 K-type wire bundle so in the future I can weld in individual CHT probes and use the EGT probe that came with the kit.The current gauge only takes one input but you just have to swap the the probe under the dash.

I also made a bracket for supporting the stove/fridge unit, behind the drivers seat, to the B-pillar. The long threads on the bolt welded to the plate also help to pull the stove snug against the wall.

Next big project will be to install the deep cycle battery, isolator, and switch then setting up a auxiliary fuse panel for the new interior electronics.
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="levi20AE"]

I also made a bracket for supporting the stove/fridge unit, behind the drivers seat, to the B-pillar. The long threads on the bolt welded to the plate also help to pull the stove snug against the wall.

Your bus is coming along nicely. Very Happy

Question on the threaded insert things you installed. What are they called and where did you find them? I am looking for that exact thing to use in a shifter knob that I have bought. It doesn't have any threads in it so I need to glue something like those thing in the pic above into it. I just don't know what to call them to ask at the hardware stores.

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment and the fittings are called nut-serts. You can get kits that have a tool much like a river gun or a special bolt they sell also works. They can be adicting because they are so much easier than welding bolts to sheetmetal or using sheetmetal screws that may pull though.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got most of the house battery setup installed today. Still need to hit up the hardware store for bolts to mount the battery switch and get some heat shrink to go over the 2 gauge wire ends. I welded up a scrap sheet of aluminum with a tab at the bottom that the factory battery bracket goes over to hold the aluminum in place.

levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished up the house battery install last weekend. With this particular switch I can now see a difference in voltage on the gauge when using the primary, secondary, or a combination of the two. Its a kinda nice unintended feature.

Removed the ignition cylinder as well after it put up a great fight. I used some steel welding rod as a makeshift tool as suggested in few articles. After an hour and feeling the rod pushing into the proper hole and the lock cylinder not disengage I went to a material removal process. Wink Turns out the cylinder was not stock and was stuck after removing the bracket that holds the barrel it took a screw driver in the release hole and a lot of tugging to get it out.

SteelerBus modified a new lock cylinder to work with the existing door handles cut two keys to code. So now I can lock the doors for the first time ever and also turn the key to start the engine without crossing my fingers and 10 attempts.

I brought home 5 sheets of 5x5 Baltic Birch in 1/8th" from the hardwoods dealer this morning to make new headliner and door cards after being stained in cherry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: