Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bringing a '73 Westy back to life...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfinbusslover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPER RAD!!!!
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complements guys!

Been daily driving it for a few weeks now and each time the tank reads empty it only takes 9.8 gallons to fill it???? It seems to fill to the top each time and the needle moves smothly through stroke of the dial. Any ideas??? I'm gonna start braving it and drive well past empty next time and see what the gauge reads.

I did get some sheetmetal work done on the passenger side below the slider and the rear rocker. But this weekend was mostly absorbed by doing a clutch on the wife's 01 Golf. We are taking a three week road trip from Las Vegas to Vancuover then down the coast to San Deigo starting Tuesday. She is not convinced that the bus is ready for prime time yet. I made her promise that we would do a 600 mile round trip camping trip in the bus before the years end though.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a 2 gallon can on the roof rack or somewhere in the bus and run it out of gas. then you know exactly where to expect it next time. there is a tab on the sending unit you actually bend to set the wiper arm position for the gauge....you have to pull the sender to do it though.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank has the early style gauge that looked like a magic tube with no obvious adjustment... I'll fill the gas tank tomorrow and take her for a long drive and see what happens.

Yesterday i went to the local steel yard and bought a 38" long piece of 4"x6" angle iron from the remnants rack and a 4 foot long piece of 2"x2" square bar. Total came out to just over $40. I had an old 2" receiver from a previous project. Here is my cheap, overbuilt trailer hitch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't worry, I'll get real mounting hardware before hooking up the trailer.

I was able to get the bumper on but it got dark before everything was mounted up.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the trailer harness wired up and cleaned a few connections on the trailer to brighten the lights. It was a really rainy day (for Las Vegas) so never got a chance to get to the gauge to read "empty" but did get some miles with the trailer. In the much cooler moist air she was happy cruising at 60-65 MPH with the trailer on the freeway.

Notice 2200 RPM = ~ 61 MPH in 4th gear with this tall final drive gear. It will do 50 MPH at ~2700 RPM and 55 MPH at 3000 RPM in 3rd gear.

1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how does it pull up the hills? With that tall a gearing, seems much too tall. Neat trailer btw.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heads do quickly heat up to 380+ on hills but that's when i drop down to 3rd. It has climbed all the steep highway grades in 3rd thus far. I've only had to drop back to 2nd once and that was on a very long steep grade from ~4000' MSL to 7000' MSL where the grade was much steeper.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First camping trip this weekend! Sorta impromptu trip to the local mountain. All the camp sites were full so we decided to just go down some of the 4x4 roads and make a site. Luckily we weren't the first person to have this idea and there were a selection of previously used campsites along the road. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth the old blown shocks performed off road, very smooth ride. The bus made it through a few washes and a few deep ditches without much wheel spin and never gave up forward progress. Promise to capture video next time.

Saw a Corvette Stingray test mule and a few new Cadillac CTSs on the way up the mountain. They were not impressed with the 2nd gear 30 MPH performance. The added weight of the dogs, wife, trailer and camping gear slowed the bus down much more than I was expecting. Time to build up the type 4!

1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'F' em. They can't camp or cook in their cars.
josez_py
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Im starting my own Project. Any help wolud be great!

What did You do with your original futnitures?
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good luck on your project.

The original sink/cooler was in horrible shape and I gave the original wardrobe closet to a local who was missing his. I used the stock bed brackets and modified them to work with the Vanagon interior.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to tinkering with the throttle return springs tonight and found that my mismatched springs were applying much more force on the 1/2 side on the motor than the 3/4 side there fore causing the 3/4 side to do a larger majority of the work under load. After switching to a single spring that attaches to the throttle cable lever on the hex the two banks seem much more in sync. After a freeway run I noticed a 30-40 degree drop in CHTs on #3. I can now cruise at 70 MPH with a #3 CHT of 350! Running 380 degrees at 65 was worrisome but now things seem much better.

Replaced the rear vent window frame with one in fare condition from the donor bus.

installed a parcel tray and jail bars

Made a lantern holder from a 2' piece of PVC and a 1" tee. I let the lantern burn for an hour and the PCV didn't get too warm.

levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the bus out camping again this weekend. Made a short video of some of the gravel roads as we were looking for new spot. After about an hour of driving around we ended up back at a familiar spot.

Only hiccups were the bolts that hold the coil the fan shroud rattled loose. Luckily that was an easy fix and we were soon back to exploring around.

Link

Got home and installed an extra cigarette outlet in the parcel tray and started re wiring all the lead going to and from the ignition coil. Mounted a small fuse box in the engine bay so everything going to and from the coil could be fused separately and the coil can be mounted elsewhere. I'm thinking about welding up a small aluminum bracket to hang down from the top of the engine bay or buying a different coil mount of some sort.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got some time to work on the bus this weekend, with the semester in full swing and a more than full work schedule the bus has been getting neglected. Finally finished decluttering all the leads going to the coil, instead of using the coil for the switched power for the oil cooler fan, hard start relay, and the signal for the battery isolator.

Also relocated the coil from the fan shroud where it was originally mounted, but unfortunately one of the bolts holding it on rattled loose and fell inside the shroud. The new mount is from CB and uses the fuel pump block-off, its a pretty clean setup.

The best fix was swapping out the old EMPI crank pulley that did a horrible job of keeping oil from slinging all over the engine at high RPMs. The new pulley is 20% oversized for additional cooling. It took a lot of trimming and tweaking of the tin that bolts just behind the pulley to prevent any rubbing but it was well worth it. After taking the bus out for a test drive on the highway for ~50 miles there wasn't a drop of oil in the bay and the head temps never exceeded 365 even when pushing it up to 80 MPH. The fan does sound like there is a small prop plane is chasing you down the freeway but it really helps keep the heads cool. The large pulley looks a little odd but it has done nothing but good things thus far.

I also mounted a fuse box to distribute power for the house battery. Still trying to chase all the wires for the vanagon sink, stove and fridge. I think the fridge is wired up correctly... it is pulling power, hopefully it gets cold...
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to a worthless congress I have had a few extra days off and will for the unforeseen future.

Today was dedicated to replacing all the window seals on the front doors and vent windows. After pulling everything apart it was clear that the vent window frames will have to be replaced in the future due to the rust holes through the frames. After a while with the wire wheel and a few rinses with some strong rust dissolving chemicals the frames were ready for primer and paint. These will have to be replaced when the final paint goes on someday. Everything went back together pretty well aside from a scratch on the drivers side exterior from putting the vent window back in. Practice make perfect... hopefully.

Hopefully this mess is solved soon and free time wont be so plentiful...
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I started to build a rear engine brace from one of two later westy engine mounts laying in the shed. I was really surprised how close the Type 4 crossbar was to fitting along side a type 1 engine. here are few pics of the original bar installed.

passenger side

oilpump clearance

here is where the #3 exhaust was getting in the way

driver's side

The bar only needed to be trimmed near the number 3 exhaust to allow for the engine to still move around.

The idea is to use the cross bar in its normal configuration and build a mount that uses the two lower case bolts to support the engine. Unfortunately I am using a B series case that does not have the provisions for the type 1 mount like the universal cases. Still need to come up with a scheme to integrate rubber mounts between the bracket that will attach to the engine and the cross bar. Any ideas or critiques are welcome.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finallly got around to taking the bus to the DMV and getting Nevada plates for it. It went flawlessly, they happily took my Vermont plates and gave me Classic Vehicle plates. I can now apply online for a NV title and I should be set to go.

Today I finished making the rear engine mount and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I ended up buying to heavy duty isolator bushing from a local hardware store. the late model bushing for the type 4 were just too tall to be useful, unfortunately. I'll post pictures of everything installed tomorrow after the paint dries.

Here is the bracket that attaches to the two lower case bolts. The bracket is made from 1/4" steel so ill need to get longer hardware.

levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished installing the mount today. Here are a few pics of the final product.

Also installed a bottle opener and magnet to catch the caps.

Link

levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend I decided to investigate a fan shroud rubbing sound that has been getting progressively worse lately. The larger pulley seemed to emphasize the problem due to the higher fan speeds. Well after pulling the shroud I found that the rear bearing on the alternator had beaten out the front bearing case thus causing the wobble and the fan to run on the shroud. Bought a used alternator for $10 from Beetle Barn use the good front bearing to replace the worn out one. The most concerning find was that the bullsh!t EMPI 36 hp style shroud had one of the inner fins completely disconnected when all for of the little welds broke and three other fins were hanging on by only a single remaining weld. Luckily I had an OEM shroud out in the shed that I had started remove the heater outlets on. After finish welding up the heat outlet blanking plates and adding primer and paint it came out looking pretty good. Now the motor sounds smooth quite.
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few more trips up to the mountains it is conclusive that the OEM shroud does a much better job of cooling that the crap from EMPI. Head temps are probably 10-20 degrees lower and the best part is that the motor runs out of steam and requires a down shift before the head temps reach 380. Thus I am no longer watching the CHT gauge while climbing. The main road up to our normal areas we explore is 18 miles and the elevation increase is from 3300' to 7900'. Now the bus can happily climb up this section in 3rd at 50 MPH, much better, less stressing on the motor and everyone inside.

Finished welding up the passenger side rocker panels and rear section just behind the door and before the tire.

Picked up two extra 14" steelies and dropped them off at the powder coater, plan is to mount some BGF ATs on them as soon as they are done. We have been exploring a lot of the forest roads and found that the commercial tires are not up to the task of managing steep rocky sections.

Few shots from trips over the last month. After getting NV plates we have already racked up 1200 miles. Gonna have to look into getting real plates and not the classics. Wink

This has been the playground for the last few outings. Taking pictures of the map has been a great tool, haha.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: