Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

That trip sounds exciting Robbie! Smile I like the open-end part of it especially. We'd love to meet you somewhere on the way, I hope we can make that happen.

Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

...and make sure you don't come back here a year from now asking for donations for your book project! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm calling BS Mister.. I think you're going north before heading eastbound and down to avoid the hot weather.. To make a lame excuse about better scenery is just sad, pathetic and lame.. A "REAL" bus pilot would simply aim his bus east from SD, desert heat be damned..

LMAO.. Laughing Ok, I'm certainly being a wise guy. I think your route would be much more comfortable and scenic as well. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
...and make sure you don't come back here a year from now asking for donations for your book project! Laughing

GoFundMe: Robbie's "Vision Quest"

Got that taken care for you Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

GoFundMe: Robbie's "Vision Quest"

Got that taken care for you Very Happy

Help I'm on my first engine and the windows are starting to get too many bugs on them please donate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I'm calling BS Mister.. I think you're going north before heading eastbound and down to avoid the hot weather.. To make a lame excuse about better scenery is just sad, pathetic and lame.. A "REAL" bus pilot would simply aim his bus east from SD, desert heat be damned..

LMAO.. Laughing Ok, I'm certainly being a wise guy. I think your route would be much more comfortable and scenic as well. Very Happy

I'm CERTAINLY not trying to immerse myself in the heat. I established over the last few years that I can trust my bus in it; what I can't do is trust myself in it. I get irritated and cranky in anything over 90*f, so I'm absolutely heading north to avoid it! Well, that, and all my extended family lives up there...

Plus, I lived in the SW desert for so long that I feel the need to explore places I haven't yet visited. Sorry Bill! Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Folding bicycle, you can take on public transit, Bus, plain, train and lock it inside when you are away. Mine fits on the floor board between the passengers seat and dash, in its bag.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-insta...%20bicycle

Looking foreward to it!
Tcash
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Folding bicycle, you can take on public transit, Bus, plain, train and lock it inside when you are away. Mine fits on the floor board between the passengers seat and dash, in its bag.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-insta...%20bicycle

Looking foreward to it!
Tcash

Oh great, something else to buy before I leave! Laughing
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

You'll end up in Florida, bet.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
You'll end up in Florida, bet.

I've always wanted to drive the Keys!! Plus, I here the humidity is super duper fun.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

search CL for a Dahon.. very nice and very compact folding bikes.
look like a clown on a little kids bike but they are geared for an adult.
either the 3spd or 5spd will cover miles fairly comfortably.
used $100~$150 (pics are links to not hijack thread more than necessary)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1...m_1000.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5...detail.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

We need to hit the keys together....

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I'm CERTAINLY not trying to immerse myself in the heat. I established over the last few years that I can trust my bus in it; what I can't do is trust myself in it. I get irritated and cranky in anything over 90*f, so I'm absolutely heading north to avoid it! Well, that, and all my extended family lives up there...
Robbie

Just for the record, Cascadia and its environs exceeded its quota of Californians somewhere around 1995. You may pass through, drink our beer and coffee, distill VW wisdom to the masses, catch flying fish, enjoy our lovely, temperate climate, revel in the innate beauty of our land, but under no circumstance shall ye forego the remainder of your journey to remain in our fine lands, marry a native, beget children, and further diminish our quality of life.

Laughing

Just kidding, owning a bus gives you a pass, just displace another California first, kthanksbye.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

What Robbie's not telling you all is that he, Brian, and tony and I are going 4 ways in on a huge shop with a small 4 bed apartment over it in the Portland area in the next couple years.

Shit just got real.

Just waiting on tony to get his motor finished, which Robbie will probably assist with this trip as well Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

I don't recall if this was Idaho or Wyoming, but it was warm inside and I was hungry.

You will have many trouble free miles in your mirror. Thanks for finding my oil leak. On my trip to the East Coast I crossed the Mississippi on a ferry; took a bridge on the way back.

Aloha
tp
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Tom, I can't seem to see that image. I even get a "404" when I clock on it. Odd………

Today was a whirlwind. Brian, Telford, Gary, and I attempted to run the cam break-in on Brian's new engine. Suffice to say that no matter how "stock" an engine is, there will always be one aftermarket part to fudge the bucket.

At first we thought it would be easy…

But after Brian and Luke discover, lots of metal needs to be taken off the non-OG components to fit correctly…

And since I made an agreement to do at least One Thing every day to prep for my trip, before I fell into bed with my laptop all cozy and shit, I installed and wired my under-dash lights for the passenger footwell. I figured there's enough wiring under the driver's side of the car, and the diffusion makes it light up all the way to the walkthrough area anyway, so I won't be adding any more lights on the left side. Also I'm out of LED ribbon……

Later!
Robbie
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Not to sound like a know-nothing, 2-pump chump, but could you explain a little bit about how you wired in the led strip?

I'm wanting to do something very similar while my dash is apart. Razz Could you post a pic of how you mounted it?
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Tony, I'm not going to share pictures. Razz My PO left me a hack-tactic dashboard... The entire bottom padding section was hacked off by a sawzall-like object, but duller and less accurate. So I took a dremel grinding stone to flatten out a 2' section, then used "LED ribbon" with the 3m adjesive back to stick it straight on the section I flattened out. From there, I used a piggyback crimp-on connector to add a length of small gauge wire to the existing dome light switch. Since my PO wiring job was also crap-tactic, the dome light is wired wrong, and the switch is on the hot leg for the dome light. I grounded the new strip to the rear defroster switch ground tab with another piggyback terminal, taking care to instal in in the direction that points the added connector away from the switched leg of the defroster. I would have used the defroster switch for the whole thing, but I wanted to make these lights on the #30 circuit of the fuse box instead of the #15 circuit. Plus I like my defroster switch. Shocked

TL;DR, the $5 led ribbon on eBay comes with pigtails and you can crimp them into the existing wires.

Robbie
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Tom, I can't seem to see that image. I even get a "404" when I clock on it. Odd………

Here are couple of photos from Idaho and Wyoming.
I don't recall if this was Idaho or Wyoming, but it was warm inside and I was hungry.

I wish I had the OG heat exchangers instead of my Dansk hack.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: