Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator pedal is wobbly/loose
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Accelerator pedal is wobbly/loose Reply with quote

Somebody want to tell me what's up with this? Something I can easily fix by tightening something, I hope. Or maybe I lost a nut/bolt somewhere along the line. I would think it'd be straightforward but I don't have a "tight" one to compare it to, so your insight is appreciated. Embarassed (Click link for 30 second vid of what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7cFb9YJaU0&feature=youtu.be

This is on a 63 bug.

Red River VW Club- http://www.redrivervwclub.com
Insaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the spring behind the pedal at the pin? It keeps it centered I believe.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a pin that goes through the bottom of the pedal. Either the pedal itself is worn or the pin is shot - or C all of the above. What sucks is that the pedal assy probably needs to come out to get the pin out and they are always corroded in there.

#1 get a quality accel pedal. There is a night and day difference between the cheapies and the good ones. I get mine from Wolfsburg West.

#2 also get the pedal kit. Will have the linkage piece, spring that was mentioned and a new pin.

#3 pull it apart and its also a good time to disassemble the pedal assy for cleaning, greasing and paint. Also inspect the clutch pedal hook to see if its wore badly - repair or replace if needed. Pay attention to the slot that the accel pedal rides in - gets crudded up and can limit pedal travel.

#4 use a zip ties or something to hold the clucth cable onto the hook when you put it back together to keep the cable from coming off.

#5 grow a third arm and hand - real handy when reinstalling the pedal assy.

#4 adjust and enjoy......
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
There is a pin that goes through the bottom of the pedal. Either the pedal itself is worn or the pin is shot - or C all of the above. What sucks is that the pedal assy probably needs to come out to get the pin out and they are always corroded in there.

#1 get a quality accel pedal. There is a night and day difference between the cheapies and the good ones. I get mine from Wolfsburg West.

#2 also get the pedal kit. Will have the linkage piece, spring that was mentioned and a new pin.

#3 pull it apart and its also a good time to disassemble the pedal assy for cleaning, greasing and paint. Also inspect the clutch pedal hook to see if its wore badly - repair or replace if needed. Pay attention to the slot that the accel pedal rides in - gets crudded up and can limit pedal travel.

#4 use a zip ties or something to hold the clucth cable onto the hook when you put it back together to keep the cable from coming off.

#5 grow a third arm and hand - real handy when reinstalling the pedal assy.

#4 adjust and enjoy......

Thanks for all this... now i have a follow up question! 1) do I have a cheapy pedal now? This is what came in the car when I bought it (obviously holds no bearing on whether it's cheap or good). Thanks again.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to know until you pull out the pedal and compare it to a good quality pedal.

Also the floor welded half of the pedal hinge might be worn out or just broken off.....

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701535A

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
You are not going to know until you pull out the pedal and compare it to a good quality pedal.

Also the floor welded half of the pedal hinge might be worn out or just broken off.....

Gotcha. Thanks! I'll report back when I investigate. I'm pretty sure this has loosened up since I got the car (didn't notice it until a few weeks ago, have had the car about 3.5 months), so a worn/broken hinge is really likely given that the car was in storage for over 30 years. well, we'll see!

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldnt tell from the video - I was assuming that your gas pedal pivot it part of the brake/cutch pedal assy. If its not, its much easier because (as mentioned above) there is a separate mount.

As far as if you have a good or crappy pedal, who knows.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crooked pedal syndrom is pretty ccommon as these cars get old. Its usually the hinge either on the pedal itself or on the floor.

Wolfsburg West has ALL the parts you need to correct this.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad that no one that I've ever seen sells a "Z-bar" that is anywhere close to the fit and finish of the original German made ones.

FYI - here's a thread with some gas pedal discussion and pictures:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=404206&

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal is wobbly/loose Reply with quote

Opening this thread up for a question. With those aftermarket hinge brackets like WW and CIP1 sell, do you have to weld the bracket to the floor, or can I bolt it down? My '66 has what looks like the later model pedal cluster, where the hinge bracket is not part of the whole assembly. Or should I just buy a whole new pedal set? Thanks!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal is wobbly/loose Reply with quote

On my 62, at one point the original floor bracket busted loose, the welds gave up. I just drilled them out and put in nuts and bolts and it's been fine ever since.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insaniac wrote:
Do you have the spring behind the pedal at the pin? It keeps it centered I believe.

Ditto. I’ve been working on mine this week. Looks like you’re missing the short spring that holds the z-bar to the pedal. 🤷‍♂️ That would make it wobbly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal is wobbly/loose Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
On my 62, at one point the original floor bracket busted loose, the welds gave up. I just drilled them out and put in nuts and bolts and it's been fine ever since.

You remember what size bolt you used? I figured I'd find something with a lock nut, maybe use lock-tite too.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal is wobbly/loose Reply with quote

I think it was M6 but it's friggin' cold out there right now to properly check. I did go and throw a camera under there but it's hard to tell, as I sprayed some undercoating on there afterwards (the pan was already undercoated when I bought it in 1989) But it looks like M6 and I think I used some large diameter washers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal is wobbly/loose Reply with quote

Cool, thanks! I figured I'd want big washers, probably not too long of a bolt so it's not sticking out too much.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal is wobbly/loose Reply with quote

And I'd smear grease or other sealant to protect those threads, since the underside is a very nasty place for bare metal, and if it rusts, you have a very unpleasant job when you go to remove it.

I wouldn't recommend silicone seal if it has the usual acidic acid cure... might rust under it.

Anyone recommend an easy-to-remove goop that can protect in instances like this? Not an adhesive or thread locker (far from it!) but just a protectant.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: