Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Simple Ignition part question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Simple Ignition part question Reply with quote

I've looked at the threads mentionned in FAQ and I believe this is a job that I can do, especially with the help of the pics BUT I need to know where to order it from and what it is I'm looking for.

Often asked what year of Vanagon parts are for and when I say 83.5 , well data bases can't deal with the .5 so I usually keep it simple and say 84. Is that a correct answer or should I be saying an 83? What part am I actually wanting? ? ignition switch? parts store or dealer?

Thanks in advance. This is entirely my fault as I've been ignoring the symptoms Rolling Eyes Embarassed Will carry a spare also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the electrical portion of the ignition switch?

If so:

Van Cafe

GoWesty

Bus Depot

You may even find a local source (p/n 171905865) as it is a pretty common VW item as I recall.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the part number. I will try to find one locally and if push comes to shove, will have to order from one of our favorites on line Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the pleasure of reading some of your adventures and recommend buying 2-they are cheap to procure-toss one in the bug out kit
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there will be at least 2 for sure! Been lookiing at Ben's pictures and people's comments. I can do this job. What I need to know and I guess I won't really find out until Monday is if I can buy them from local outlets or if I'll have to order them. >>>that will be a ggggrrr unless I jury rig it with wires until their arrival? Alas Napa Canada is not as good as Napa America. Will also call some of the repair shops I know who work on Vanagons.
kurt vonnagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE it shouldn't take you more than 10:00 min. once you have your tools together.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, maybe for you. For me I'd bill me 1 hour Laughing Wink

I have part number from above but I still need to know if its a GENERIC part or a specific VW part and what years are all the same??????

Last edited by DAIZEE on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty's info says the same part works on all buses/vans from 1974-91...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were given 3 links above. If you look at the third one it has a list of the vehicles and years that part fits.

Bus Depot

Mark

DAIZEE wrote:
......Ipart number from above but I still need to know if its a GENERIC part or a specific VW part and what years are all the same??????
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I assumed those 3 links were telling me the online vendors who carry it, so didn't look. If I can get it locally, its better for me. Online takes 7 to 14 days to arrive, not desireable up front.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is ok to look at their catalogs, even if you don't plan to order from them.

Mark

DAIZEE wrote:
ok, I assumed those 3 links were telling me the online vendors who carry it, so didn't look. If I can get it locally, its better for me. Online takes 7 to 14 days to arrive, not desireable up front.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE, as long as you have a part number chances are you could take it to a local place and have them order it for you. Most parts houses have distribution centers that service repair shops so getting one shouldn't take but a day or two at most.
As mentioned,pick up an extra one just in case.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okey doke, I consider my hands slapped Embarassed This is one of the first problems, well maybe the 3rd that I am 101% to blame for. Now I'm really a present day Vanagoneer! Hopefully I've learned a lesson and take warnings seriously Rolling Eyes

Going to go out and ride my ebike now and try to stay out of trouble! The odds, well I wouldn't bet on me Laughing Thanks all.
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE-while your in there-be sure to clean you whole horn ring-I forgot to do mine and it only works when I straighten out the wheel right now-5-10 more minutes of your time!
You can do this-its plug and pay
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I will clean everything and grease or oil what should be lubricated. Trust me the whole job will take me longer than anyone else Laughing
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the electrical portion of the ignition switch fails repeatedly -- there is a thread where a vendor is listed that carries a claimed more reliable one

it is not a vendor listed above and I dunno what thread, but do a search here to find it
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did title search and read thru 10 threads including Ben's. No real recommendations, read the Pelican's reviews and not good. As German Air Supply is local I'll talk with Scott, he has the Brazilian Kostal and also the genuine VW ones. I trust Scott and tho he prefers air cooled he is very familiar with Vanagons as well. I'm sure most are now made off shore and I think I'd rather Brazilian over Chinese manufacturing quality control issues.

Thanks for your inputs. Miss the van already!
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
the electrical portion of the ignition switch fails repeatedly -- there is a thread where a vendor is listed that carries a claimed more reliable one

it is not a vendor listed above and I dunno what thread, but do a search here to find it

I searched too and couldn't find it. Anyone know who sells it?
Unless you mean from your own post Randy :
randywebb wrote:
This place:

[email protected]

has them for $9.89 on eBay; also says they take credit cards & say theirs are no cheap knockoffs....

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the brand KOSTAL from Brazil was mentionned 3 times that I saw.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, that wasn't it - I saved the link in my browser but that computer died a week ago

if I find it on my laptop in a file I will post here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: