Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Side Tent thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

This looks like the spot to show off my latest score.

Very nice condition, with no rips , and all poles and hangers intact. Even mounted the hanger clips properly this time. Wink

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

You did score. Nice tent. Applause

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

I picked up a White Stag Universal Van side tent recently. used it on a 3 day camping trip last weekend and was amazed at how well it held up in the rains with out leaking until the very heavy rains and winds picked up, then it shifted some and started ponding on sides of roof causing drips. Need to clean and waterproof it.

does anyone with a white stage Bus version have closer pics of how it is supposed to install to a bus? this universal version has a lot of extra fabric to be used on larger side doors. ended up rolling it all up and using magnets to hold in place.
we are thinking if we can get good images of the bus specific install or sizes we can cut and sew this one to fit better.

sorry didn't take more pics of it for reference while set up to bus.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:
I picked up a White Stag Universal Van side tent recently. used it on a 3 day camping trip last weekend and was amazed at how well it held up in the rains with out leaking until the very heavy rains and winds picked up, then it shifted some and started ponding on sides of roof causing drips. Need to clean and waterproof it.

does anyone with a white stage Bus version have closer pics of how it is supposed to install to a bus? this universal version has a lot of extra fabric to be used on larger side doors. ended up rolling it all up and using magnets to hold in place.
we are thinking if we can get good images of the bus specific install or sizes we can cut and sew this one to fit better.

sorry didn't take more pics of it for reference while set up to bus.

Is your opening similar to this?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible

Last edited by notchboy on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Yes, it has old flexible magnet sewn on it as well but the magnets have cracked apart and no longer that magnetic.
We have just rolled the access and used stronger magnets to hold it on.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Then it uses a bar that slides into the top of the door flap, that then rests in the rain gutter. They make clamps that hold each end. The sides should be elastic like bungii.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Then it uses a bar that slides into the top of the door flap, that then rests in the rain gutter. They make clamps that hold each end. The sides should be elastic like bungii.

I found the instructions for the bus version and looked but there is no pocket or provision for a bar to go into on this one.
I will have to set it up and get measurements of the opening and pics of it. It also has ropes to pull ot tite attached to the opening.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
This looks like the spot to show off my latest score.

Very nice condition, with no rips , and all poles and hangers intact. Even mounted the hanger clips properly this time. Wink

Nice tent! Looks like you ironed it Laughing
One small detail on your set up. When you set up the stripped awning with the two poles, there is a small hook and loop at the top of the awning that should be hooked together. This takes up some slack and helps to shed the rain off it, otherwise it pools in the awning. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:

One small detail on your set up. When you set up the stripped awning with the two poles, there is a small hook and loop at the top of the awning that should be hooked together. This takes up some slack and helps to shed the rain off it, otherwise it pools in the awning. Very Happy

Ahhh, learned something today. Laughing

From 71whitewesty -

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Rockin my Spacemaker tent!

’65 Deluxe Build
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Good to know Mr White, thank you.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
LiamKO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Great post! Actually, I have been enjoying the entire thread. I don’t have a VW myself, but I am looking into getting one for exactly this reason. The pictures everyone has been posting of their side tents has filled me with veritable envy … I am so ready to take the leap! Now all I need is a few grand to get mom’s old VW working, then I’ll be off to the races.

I have a bit of a question for the community, and I am hoping that this thread is the place to ask it. In preparation for getting my own rig, I am wondering how possible it will be to use the 8-person tent that I currently have as an attached side tent for my rig. The tent I am thinking of is the Gazelle T4 Plus. There’s a pretty good rundown of it over at Wildproof .

You know how it goes. Just trying to save a few bucks here and there, and I already love this tent. I am interested in hearing more about creating custom side tents from the pros, if anyone is interested. Specifically, how to attach a pre-made 8 person tent to the side of a VW.

Thanks for the help!
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Ok so here are some more pictures of the white stag universal side tent.
I would like to get the flap measurements from a non universal one to have the side modified to be similar.
Especially the flap to put the bar in for rain gutter.

This one has no elastic or flaps to put a tube in at all just alot of thin magnets that have gone dead.
The door flap sticks out 26" on this one all the way around.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Very nice, and super cool Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

I had a vintage White Stag tent I used for a few years, it was fantastic. Be careful with the zippers though, mine started shredding off teeth within the first few months. Once it needed a full replacement I ended up trading it off to someone else. Kinda wish I kept it tho, it's a cool unit.
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
I had a vintage White Stag tent I used for a few years, it was fantastic. Be careful with the zippers though, mine started shredding off teeth within the first few months. Once it needed a full replacement I ended up trading it off to someone else. Kinda wish I kept it tho, it's a cool unit.

Our tent sat in the original owners garage for 15years..first time we set it up the zipper to van port, on the right side, split an now wont go back together. At least they're double zippered to close the left side!

Anyone one reading this have the bus specific version?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:

Our tent sat in the original owners garage for 15years..first time we set it up the zipper to van port, on the right side, split an now wont go back together. At least they're double zippered to close the left side!

Anyone one reading this have the bus specific version?

Which one?

or

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Hmm...my stag universal tent seems like it has the doors of the brown one an the windows of the blue an yellow???

Are the flaps to hook to bus sliding door the same on both or different?

I see the brown one has a port like mine but see no magnets an what looks like the roof bar pocket.
How far does it come out?
Rain gutter bar pocket dimensions?

Thanks
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: