Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Side Tent thread FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Saw this Volkswagen of Australia Tent being discussed on FB.

VWoA Tent -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments wim3600 and Globespotter, we'll stick with the EZ awning and pass on the side tent.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:

I have a lead on a Bay Window Side Tent in decent shape for my 76 Westy. Do those who have them use them much? I have a full size Bus Depot EZ awning that works well and I made simple sides for it but am wondering if the side tent would just sit unused as it looks heavy and bulky compared to the EZ awning. Do you need to treat it with a waterproof coating?

Thanks.

I have used mine only twice. I like it, but it does take some time to set up, and is big and bulky to transport/store.

If you are staying for a while at a nice spot, they are amazing. We used it when we attended a week long music festival, and it was nice.

On shorter trips, which most of my camping tends to be, I just use my E-Z awning.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
wim3600 wrote:

I have a lead on a Bay Window Side Tent in decent shape for my 76 Westy. Do those who have them use them much? I have a full size Bus Depot EZ awning that works well and I made simple sides for it but am wondering if the side tent would just sit unused as it looks heavy and bulky compared to the EZ awning. Do you need to treat it with a waterproof coating?

Thanks.

I occasionally use the tent when the weather is bad.
The tent was not completely waterproof during a holiday on the Atlantic coast in northern France, but the weather was very bad. I then injected the tent with a product that is also used to make scout tents water-repellent. You can spray this with a plant sprayer and it comes in 5l cans.
In good weather use in the side awning only.
I also have a set with a tailgate and a side tent from the same manufacturer.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
Thanks for the wisdom alman72 and Notchboy. It's nice to hear you've seen one with the peaked roof before. The more I looked at it, the less likely it seemed to be set up wrong. There would have been some bunching and stretching of the canvas if that was the case.
I'll have to decide if I want to buy it. I need another tent like I need another hole in my head. But if I can get it for a more reasonable price than the guy is asking, it might be fun to own for a little bit at least.

I had six OG VW tents at one time. I think I got two now. Think

Link

Link

And I found this little gem.

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for the wisdom alman72 and Notchboy. It's nice to hear you've seen one with the peaked roof before. The more I looked at it, the less likely it seemed to be set up wrong. There would have been some bunching and stretching of the canvas if that was the case.
I'll have to decide if I want to buy it. I need another tent like I need another hole in my head. But if I can get it for a more reasonable price than the guy is asking, it might be fun to own for a little bit at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Its in the camping box where its supposed to be. Wink

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

hahahaha! epic. where is the bucket? in the tent?
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

[quote="CanStan"]
Shonandb wrote:
wim3600 wrote:

Thanks.

I've had an original circus tent, as well as 2 different Bus Depot Add-A-Room tents. I've liked all of them for different reasons. I usually prefer original accessories, but it's hard to argue the Add-A-Room isn't super functional with the ability to open any combination of the sides, turn it into an awning, sleep a kid in the cabana, add a separate awning off the front, and how it packs up into 1/2 the storage space and weighs 1/2 of what the circus tent does. I've used military surplus duffel bags to store / carry them. The circus tent requires 2 bags, the BD tent fits in 1 bag.
It sounds lazy, but if we are just going out for a night or 2, we are hard pressed to spend the 15 minutes to set it up. But on some long weekend or longer trips, we sure appreciate the extra space. On rainy days, it's even nicer (although I do hate having to dry the tent out after I get back home). When the circus tent gets wet, it takes a long time to dry out. When it's hot out, it's really difficult to keep it cool inside.

So in my opinion, the circus tent wins the 'cool and original' award, but the BD tent probably wins for overall function (and still looks pretty good).

Thanks CanStan. Your comments are what I was thinking. The circus tent is a "nice to have" but would be seldom used as the BD awning works for us 95% of the time.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

One of my favorite style of tent. Ive seen two types. The one you posted and the one in my vid. I think the one n my vid is slightly bigger and is made from heavier canvas. The one you posted is a Volkswagen of America product. I think the one in my Vid is Riviera. They could be manufactured by the same company.

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
Does anyone have info on this tent? Not that I need another tent, but I'm tempted to pick this one up just because.
On page 12 of this thread there's a similar one but not much mentioned about it other than speculation it was a knock-off of the VW one. It does look very similar to the Campertent several of you have, except the roof peak is pointed rather than being flatter like the common ones I'm seeing here. It's possible this one is just set up wrong, or using incorrect poles, but the fabric doesn't look like it's being stretched awkwardly.
There is a VW part number on the tag:
ZVW 199 101
Is anyone able to compare the tag and part number from theirs? Maybe this is just an earlier / later model than the others I'm seeing?

f

looks like vwoa tent set up wrong. here is my old one

i think notchboy had one or 2 as well. check the front screen door along the zipper for stitch popping. they like to rip/unstitch there.
edit def a vw tent
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

Does anyone have info on this tent? Not that I need another tent, but I'm tempted to pick this one up just because.
On page 12 of this thread there's a similar one but not much mentioned about it other than speculation it was a knock-off of the VW one. It does look very similar to the Campertent several of you have, except the roof peak is pointed rather than being flatter like the common ones I'm seeing here. It's possible this one is just set up wrong, or using incorrect poles, but the fabric doesn't look like it's being stretched awkwardly.
There is a VW part number on the tag:
ZVW 199 101
Is anyone able to compare the tag and part number from theirs? Maybe this is just an earlier / later model than the others I'm seeing?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

[quote="Shonandb"]
wim3600 wrote:

Thanks.

I've had an original circus tent, as well as 2 different Bus Depot Add-A-Room tents. I've liked all of them for different reasons. I usually prefer original accessories, but it's hard to argue the Add-A-Room isn't super functional with the ability to open any combination of the sides, turn it into an awning, sleep a kid in the cabana, add a separate awning off the front, and how it packs up into 1/2 the storage space and weighs 1/2 of what the circus tent does. I've used military surplus duffel bags to store / carry them. The circus tent requires 2 bags, the BD tent fits in 1 bag.
It sounds lazy, but if we are just going out for a night or 2, we are hard pressed to spend the 15 minutes to set it up. But on some long weekend or longer trips, we sure appreciate the extra space. On rainy days, it's even nicer (although I do hate having to dry the tent out after I get back home). When the circus tent gets wet, it takes a long time to dry out. When it's hot out, it's really difficult to keep it cool inside.

So in my opinion, the circus tent wins the 'cool and original' award, but the BD tent probably wins for overall function (and still looks pretty good).
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

wim3600 wrote:

Thanks.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

wim3600 wrote:
a side awing indeed, google translate said "canopi".
Excuse me for the crappy translation.

The previous owner claimed that an original Westfalia awning was included.
In the picture it is not so clear, it has two sides, one of these is rolled up.

It might be Westfalia? Maybe from the Vanagon Era. They continued offering tents for them. I have an early Vanagon tent and it looks better on a Bay then a Vanagon - I think.

As for new tents -

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

a side awing indeed, google translate said "canopi".
Excuse me for the crappy translation.

The previous owner claimed that an original Westfalia awning was included.
In the picture it is not so clear, it has two sides, one of these is rolled up.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

wim3600 wrote:
does anyone know the correct canopy for a .74 wetsfalia.
possibly with photos. (not the tent)

Thank you

What do you mean by canopy? A side awning? Like below? If so then VW never offered one for the bay window bus - just the tent.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
bonzai272 wrote:
Im looking for a modern (easy to set up and take down) side tent for my 72. I know bus depot sells their "add a room" but apparently the vendor who makes them cant get the materials until mid year. Are there any other companies that sell something like this? Stinks having to wait 6 months for bus depot but might be the world we live in now with supply chain issues everywhere.

now I'm bias for sure but I'd consider getting a stock circus tent. I think they work the best for the buses. The main thing for me is that it can rain like the devil and they will stay (nearly) water tight. The gutter connection to the bus, well it's made just for the bus so it works really well. Way cooler too!
Who cares about the extra weight of the tent since it just sits in the bus when not in use. I think we are talking maybe 10-15 lbs difference in weight between the bus depot one and the stock one (just a guess), no big deal to me. I also bet set up times are comparable. But again I've never used the bus depot version so take it for what it's worth. Very Happy

In Volksworld Camper & Bus they always have several vendors that advertise new tents. The UK has a way higher demand for them than the US.

Here is a vintage one Ive never seen at a real good price.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2494895

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:
Im looking for a modern (easy to set up and take down) side tent for my 72. I know bus depot sells their "add a room" but apparently the vendor who makes them cant get the materials until mid year. Are there any other companies that sell something like this? Stinks having to wait 6 months for bus depot but might be the world we live in now with supply chain issues everywhere.

now I'm bias for sure but I'd consider getting a stock circus tent. I think they work the best for the buses. The main thing for me is that it can rain like the devil and they will stay (nearly) water tight. The gutter connection to the bus, well it's made just for the bus so it works really well. Way cooler too!
Who cares about the extra weight of the tent since it just sits in the bus when not in use. I think we are talking maybe 10-15 lbs difference in weight between the bus depot one and the stock one (just a guess), no big deal to me. I also bet set up times are comparable. But again I've never used the bus depot version so take it for what it's worth. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Reply with quote

does anyone know the correct canopy for a .74 wetsfalia.
possibly with photos. (not the tent)

Thank you

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: