Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Late Bay aftermarket tail light lens?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Best Late Bay aftermarket tail light lens? Reply with quote

I searched "tail light" and "taillight". Nothing. Dont want a cheapo thats gonna fade quickly. Want to buy them once and be done. Who has the best ones in your opinion?

Edit: Late Bay

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what year bus?
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Late bay. 72 up.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we bought brand new Hella housings and lens about 2 years ago. They cost about 50% more than what a lens cost. I would go that route unless you have new ones and someone cracked a lens. Replacement Hella lens are available here http://www.busdepot.com/lights-and-lenses/211945241r
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on bus depot's units about a year and a half ago. They're quality pieces, and have the fresnel unlike the crap ones I had gotten through a Mid America previously.

I will say, for whatever reason, they developed a white "film" discoloration. I used my fingernail to scratch some of it off so I suspect if I use a lense cleaning kit it'll come clean like new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
we bought brand new Hella housings and lens about 2 years ago. They cost about 50% more than what a lens cost. I would go that route unless you have new ones and someone cracked a lens. Replacement Hella lens are available here http://www.busdepot.com/lights-and-lenses/211945241r

That info is exactly what I wanted to know. I assume you bought these:

http://www.busdepot.com/lights-and-lenses/211945241rk

Thank you Steve.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when ordering the complete houseings from the bus depot. You want the Hella Mexico ones only. They also sell genuine Vw which are Artab and you do not want those. I bought a set and had to return them thinking I was getting Hella Mexico. The lenses alone are the Hella ones. Hope this helps.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
SGKent wrote:

That info is exactly what I wanted to know. I assume you bought these:

http://www.busdepot.com/lights-and-lenses/211945241rk

Thank you Steve.

I bought these also after the Empi ones faded in months. It's been almost 2 years and they look like new.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fellow in the classifieds (Ducky Mex) that sells the OE VW (Hella) of Mexico lenses, and they are a very nice quality. I would not hesitate to use them.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check feed back for him though.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently get 2 of these same lenses from bus depot, 211 945 241 R. They say on the site they are OEM hella, but I can't see that they say Hella anywhere on them. I was thinking maybe that's an error since oem tail lights were made by SWF. I guess someone said that the mexican ones are hella and that's what these are?

Anyway, they feel nice, the plastic is not brittle like some others I've had. Great price, really great these are affordable; 914 tail lights are more than $100 a piece for decent original or reproduction ones.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
I recently get 2 of these same lenses from bus depot, 211 945 241 R. They say on the site they are OEM hella, but I can't see that they say Hella anywhere on them. I was thinking maybe that's an error since oem tail lights were made by SWF. I guess someone said that the mexican ones are hella and that's what these are?

Anyway, they feel nice, the plastic is not brittle like some others I've had. Great price, really great these are affordable; 914 tail lights are more than $100 a piece for decent original or reproduction ones.

one can always call and ask them to pull a pair and read the name on it before ordering. We bought the whole Hella assembly because ours were in poor condition. We also bought some from another source that were cheaper and they were quite poorly made. Go with the Hella.
aopisa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur on the Bus Depot https://www.busdepot.com/211945241r tail light lens. The ones that the PO had installed were faded crap.

I wish I could find he same quality for the front door reflectors.

Leap into the boundless and make it your home! ---Chuang-Tzu

Please let me know if you do not receive this message...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: