Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Firm brake pedal, low brakes, pump to stop bus - Solved!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Firm brake pedal, low brakes, pump to stop bus - Solved! Reply with quote

67 bus with dual master cylinder.
Changed a broken Right Rear wheel cylinder, new brake shoes, and other parts replaced.

Brakes don't feel the same after bleeding just the rear cylinders 3 different ways:
Slow drip .
One man bleed with the little cup
Old school pump and hold with a friend....

At speed, brakes feel firm, almost like pedal has bottomed out, with pedal at mid-travel, but not slowing down the bus, (feels like brake fade).
Release and press again and brakes feel great....

I did not mess with the front brakes at all, think I need to bleed those based on symptoms?

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro

Last edited by don.ville on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pump brake fluid from the cylinder you replaced to the MC. I had something like this happen on my 63 many years ago. I must have bled the brakes old school 50 times until I pushed fluid through. Then it worked fine.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed it more and do it the way it is described in the manual. 67's have a different bleed sequence. Then bleed it some more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: one person works the pedal, one person at the WC bleeder.

Open the bleeder screw a fair bit. Have the pedal pushed down all the way, then just cap the bleeder with your finger. lift the pedal and push it down again, letting the pressure release with your finger. With communication between the two of you (up, down), and topping up the master with fluid, you can move a large amount of fluid very quickly. This way any air trapped in the system doesn't have a chance to settle.
Once you get good fluid flow close the bleeder and go to the pump and hold bleeding method.

Chances are you let the master run dry on that part of the circuit. Bleed all the brakes and adjust them too.

If it bleeds well and you have a good pedal feel, then after a while it begins to go back to how it felt before, one of the other wheel cylinders could be sucking in air, or the master itself is pooched.

Gordo.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably know this but the reservoir must be kept almost totally full during the bleeding process or you will suck air and have to start over again.
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for durrs on the backing plates.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
Pump brake fluid from the cylinder you replaced to the MC. I had something like this happen on my 63 many years ago. I must have bled the brakes old school 50 times until I pushed fluid through. Then it worked fine.

You removed the pedal pan, and just let the fluid overflow the MC and fall on the floor I take it?

What did you use to push (though bleed valve right) hand pump from FLAPS?

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the vaccuum type of bleeders are not the best to use. They can be OK for starting the fluid flow for a gravity bleed, but when you suck the fluid through you are always grabbing small amounts of air that come in past the threads of the bleeder screws.
For me, no matter what method you use to start the fluid flowing (vaccuum, gravity, pressure bleeder,or old school pump past finger cap) , you should always finish with the pump them up, hold and pop bleed method. Don't stop until you are satisfied with the results.
Please check for leaks and a solid pedal. Have "Hagrid" stand on the pedal with force and watch everywhere for any signs of leaks. And don't test drive it where there is a dead end or a cliff. I know it sounds obvious , but you would be surprised what people do.

Gordo.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of using my tire air pump to the vac spout and hooking the outlet of the bottle below to the bleeder screw, and push fluid thru back to MC

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thoughts?

I Plan to Flush and Bleed front brakes tonight...

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
Thinking of using my tire air pump to the vac spout and hooking the outlet of the bottle below to the bleeder screw, and push fluid thru back to MC...Thoughts?

If everything was all new including all the fluid then it would be ok except there is the possibility that ever so slight a piece of inherited crud could get into the MC. The braking system should be surgically clean inside.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
don.ville wrote:
Thinking of using my tire air pump to the vac spout and hooking the outlet of the bottle below to the bleeder screw, and push fluid thru back to MC...Thoughts?

If everything was all new including all the fluid then it would be ok except there is the possibility that ever so slight a piece of inherited crud could get into the MC. The braking system should be surgically clean inside.

I'll buy a new plastic bottle.
That risk is high since the dirty floor of the bus is right above the MC hole.
I'll be careful

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't repy right away you need something like the one below. Also is your push-rod adjusted correctly?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525161
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the bleeder pictured above, and decided to get another one since mine fell into my oil drain pan and oil/brake fluid got into the hose.

Picked up the new one today and the instructions say, make sure the container is held ABOVE the the bleeder screw.

I forgot to do that.
I just let it hand from the bleeder screw by the hose and went pumping...

Rookie mistake, I will repeat the bleeding on the rears with the bottle held above the bleed screw.

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips.

Brakes are awesome now!!! high pedal, stops firmly, even the emergency brake can stop the bus from speed. Very Happy

I got a new one-man bleeder with the magnet to hold it above the bleeder screw height.
All the brake shoes needed adjusting (a lot).
There was a little air in the lines, but I flushed through about 3/4 of a large bottle of brake fluid

1. Loosened both front bleeders
2. Filled reservoir, pumped and filled, pumped and filled, until garage floor was flooded Smile, tightened bleeders.
3. Adjusted front shoes
4. Locked rear shoes using adjusters
5. bleed each side using one-man bleeder raised above bleed screw.
6. pumped pedal until fluid in hose was clear.
7. tightened bleeder screw, backed off rear brake adjusters until wheels spun freely.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! Good to read all is working. Very Happy
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what ^^^^ E & B said. Now you're safe. Only thing I've noticed about the "one man" problem is, if you don't get back to shut the bleeder relatively quickly air will suck in past the bleeder screw threads so that every time more that you bleed it will appear there is another bubble. It still works good enough. The best way is with two people that know what's going on.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Yes, what ^^^^ E & B said. Now you're safe. Only thing I've noticed about the "one man" problem is, if you don't get back to shut the bleeder relatively quickly air will suck in past the bleeder screw threads so that every time more that you bleed it will appear there is another bubble. It still works good enough. The best way is with two people that know what's going on.

I didn't have that problem, but I guess a a dab of Vaseline near the threads could help???,

then you clean it off with brake cleaner once the bleeder valve is closed.

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to put grease on the threads of the bleeder valves, and other threads of the brake system. This probably would help keep air from being allowed in with that kind of bleeding. In our experience is really helps keep the rust away in our wet PNW weather. Nice to be able to take the brake system apart with no stuck threads after even ten years!
coreyajones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Firm brake pedal, low brakes, pump to stop bus - Solved! Reply with quote

Had a similar issue on a Brazilian Bus. I had a firm pedal but occasionally it had no stopping power unless I gave it a single pump first. I assumed it was a bleeding issue and bled the brakes many times having my kids pump and hold the pedal.
I had previously adjusted all the stars on the shoes when I first got the bus 5 months ago.
I realized the adjustment on the pedal didn't have the 1/8th-1/4th clearance it needed so fixed that and took it for a drive. It was worse than ever. Very little stopping power.
I came back home and started adjusting the front stars again just for shitzengiggles. I found they could all be adjusted out a little, but one of the 4 on the front could be taken out a ton.
When I got in the bus and pressed that pedal, it was higher than ever! Took it for a drive and it stops on a dime...well, maybe a half dollar.
When I got back, I found the front wheels were pretty hot so I took the adjustment in just a tad to keep the shoes from dragging too much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: