Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boston Syncro project- the Corter Van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vr-zych
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely so far! I need to swing by sometime soon and see progress in person!
corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quickly learning that one of the best things about restoring this van is the people I'm meeting along the way. The project's not dead- rather, the opposite! I've spent the last month or so compiling almost every single part I need from the body panels to solar to wheels to suspension to fuel system to cooling system to fun exterior stuff and paint, along with the new Bostig ready to be installed. I wanted to have everything on hand and ready to go.

I finally found a gent that was not only willing but happy and excited to work on the van. I decided to try to drive it the 10 miles through the city to his shop with Miss Corter behind me to watch for fire/smoke/whatever. 2 miles in I got the call, and the van ended up dumping most of it's fluids in the middle of Harvard Square. I limped into a parking spot and called AAA. The tow truck driver's first words to us were Alice's Restaurant lyrics. He knew exactly how to tow the van, and shared stories of others he's towed. "Very rare, these 4x4's in New England" he said. Then he shared his own bay window stories with us from his hippie days out west, and when he noticed the lack of inspection sticker his only comment was "Must be new to ya...Where ya bringing it and what are ya having done to it?"

We got to the shop before the van and tow truck, so we met and talked to the mechanic who came to meet us around 10pm for the drop off. He was so excited just to see another one, because he was really only used to seeing 2wd's and was very open in his belief that all of the syncros should be saved. Once it got there, he jumped right under it and came out with a big smile telling me that it's really in decent shape, nothing that some sheet metal and a welder can't fix.

So the van is safely at the shop, where the motor will come out/rust cut and fixed/tank resealed and new fuel lines run/everything done in prep for the Bostig install. Though I think ultimately this post is about the image. A right of passage I've heard- the van's first tow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corter wrote:
He knew exactly how to tow the van,

Was the drive shaft or axles removed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Syncros Need to be towed on flat beds. If the props haft was in place, I'd be very worried you've damaged the vc or Trans. : /

Lets hope all is well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys, forgot to mention that- driveshaft is currently not on the car, so this worked fine.
corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time no update! Been a hell of a winter, and next week the van goes to Bostig to get the engine put in.

Here's what's been done, and I apologize in advance for the crappy phone pictures.

First, all new metal where the floor was rusted out. Not visible (but there) are the new gas tank mounting points on the other side, with the resealed gas tank and all new fuel lines/pump/etc. The crossmember was also reinforced underneath for strength. Everything on the underside is por-15'd, and on the top will be insulated.

Next, all panels that needed to be replaced were replaced. This includes left side rocker, which I posted before, and both rear lower corners, as well as the passenger side quarter panel.

Pretty excited to have more pictures with more frequency in the next couple months. Mostly just happy to have the serious body work that I couldn't do myself all done.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice !! Who did you find to do the welding work ??

Here is a shot of my 1st "Garage" back in 1980-'83

The land lord freaked when she found out I had 5 cars stashed around the little 4 plex... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! A gent named David in Woburn, MA did the work, couldn't ask for a better dude to work with. He really killed it, it's all really top notch and way more stock looking than I requested.

That garage is killer Smile Once the work that I can't do is done, I'll be building out the rest and painting it in my rental apartment's driveway. I'm only like 3 miles out of downtown Boston, so my neighbors have been watching and commenting as the work gets done. They think it's pretty awesome/hilarious to see a full resto happening in our neighborhood.
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see another Syncro in Boston!

I also have apartment-parking and have been knocking around the idea of finding a secure space to park/store/work-on my Syncro somewhere in or around the city. I'd be up for finding a bigger space and splitting it with some other Vanagon owners if you or anyone else in the area is interested.

Nice van! Hope it's coming along well.

Vans With At Least One Wheel In the Air
www.facebook.com/driveslowtakechances
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting to hear-about/see the custom leather interior that will go into this beast, what with the OP's trade/business. Cool
corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I'm not going crazy on the interior, it's going to be work oriented, not showroom. The plan is simplicity. Windows and locks will be converted to manual, rear heat is going away, full solar for my heat brands and credit card processing at shows. I'll probably have the front seats and bed reupholstered in something similar to stock because I don't like leather seats in cars (ironically).

Some sort of hard wood/industrial floor in the back, bed liner on the floors up front, and a workbench unit where the westy's have their sink/stove unit. My press is going behind the passenger seat and I'll have an awning so I can open the door and have a press at just the right height to work standing outside the van. Ultimately, I just want to be able to drive out on the beach and work & drive my workshop to shows for people to see what I do. I can't see any better life than that.

Steewoz- where are you at? I'm pretty sure my van will be done by summer (or at least done with needing-a-work space work), but that does sound pretty awesome!
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in JP. You?

I have one big project that I'll need a solid workspace for in the next year or so, but it seems like I always need/want space for a multitude of small projects I always seem to have going on around the van.

Although, my old neighborhood was on top of a hill, and I swear there was a guy who lived half way up the hill running an amateur auto repair business using on-street parking only! So maybe I'm just being a pansy about wanting a cool shared space for Vanagon owners in the city!

corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool! I don't know JP very well, always been in Allston/Brighton. My shop's in Allston currently, there's a ton of street mechanics there. I've seen everything from rust repairs to engines being hoisted out of cars in those neighborhoods. Out where I live near Oak Square in Brighton it's more residential, there's one kid building a mk4 golf but he's got a garage attached to the house, so I only see it when he takes it on test drives.

It would be super cool to have garage space to share and work on cars around here, I do agree with that. That's the only thing I miss about living outside of the city- if I had a place to take on a couple car projects, I"d be much happier haha.
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny... I just moved from Oak Square last September. I definitely miss the driveway space I had there (and easy access to the pike). I could fit up to 5 cars if necessary. I'll bet there are some good spaces to be had in the Allston/Brighton area. Keep an eye out if you're up for it. Brighton would be a good spot for many since its easily accessible from just about every direction.

I should probably start a thread an see how many Boston vanagons there are and how many might be interested.

corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van just got dropped off at Bostig, conversion time! Should be done Friday, then it's into the driveway to get the body sealed up and inside cleaned out/bed liner'd.

Steewoz- I think I took a picture of your van in front of Brighton Post Office a few months back. If so, that's what really kicked me into gear getting mine!

Oh, anyone have a use for a 2.1 and two boxes of parts? Couple 30's of Narragansett and you can pick them up and take them home I'd say, no use for any of it now.
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! That was almost a year ago!

Glad you were inspired by it!

corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessir, just showed Brady over at Bostig that picture because he said you guys are going up to VT and he'd never seen your van. I'd be nervous to take that thing into the trees, it's so nice!
Syncromikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The van's looking great can't wait to hear about the conversion and how everything is running!!
Do you know where your body guy got the new body panels? I've got quite a bit of rust on the body of my syncro. Have it stopped for now but will be doing the body likely next winter. Would be great to pick up new body panels so it's ready for body work.

Cheers,
Mike

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954
corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude!

the interior is all custom fab work. I bought the exterior panels from Bus Depot, I used 3m panel adhesive to do the rocker myself and had him weld in the rear quarter and corners.
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corter wrote:
Yessir, just showed Brady over at Bostig that picture because he said you guys are going up to VT and he'd never seen your van. I'd be nervous to take that thing into the trees, it's so nice!

I'd be lying if I wasn't at least a little worried about scuffing it up. But on the flipside, I didn't buy it to baby it.

(except for when it comes to salt! salted roads=no go)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 35

Jump to: