Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grille/Light package?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grille/Light package? Reply with quote

I have long had on my list of must-do mods for my Syncro, the South African Grill/Light combo. I had been going to go with the GoWesty package, when I was talking to Jeremiah at Stephan's Auto Haus and he said that the harness kit that comes with the Van-Cafe kit is better. I notice that for an additional $18 the Van-Cafe kit comes with what they call "cut and play" connectors.
I would love to hear from people who have done this mod, where they got there grill/light package and how satisfied they were with everything.
Also, did you go for the standard wattage bulbs or some higher wattage bulbs?
Go Westy has this kit
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=3899
which is brighter, but only the outer hi-beams are higher wattage, I believe. The inner bulbs are just higher efficiency 55W bulbs that put out more light.
This is the kind of thing where the devil is in the details. I want to get those details correct before I spend $600+
Thanks,
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
• Vintage Air in-dash A/C
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grill/Light package? Reply with quote

I prefer my Cibie outer H4s over my Hella H4s. http://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-Light-Unit/dp/B...k129040-20
You are going to need a set of used early model headlight headlight buckets as well.
The ceramic "cut and play connectors" are nice, I went back and retrofitted them on a few vans of mine that had SA grills for years.
Get some headlight relays fitted on your van if you don't already have them especially if you install brighter bulbs. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1566523
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grill/Light package? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The ceramic "cut and play connectors" are nice, I went back and retrofitted them on a few vans of mine that had SA grills for years.
Get some headlight relays fitted on your van if you don't already have them especially if you install brighter bulbs. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1566523

Our resident Samba electrical guru, Jay Brown ("ThatVWbusguy"), sells the plug-n-play connectors and relays on his site. Excellent quality and customer service!

https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrela...-1980-1985

https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/

The plastic SA grill itself is the same build quality more-or-less wherever you source it. I have the Hella H4 lenses with upgraded 90/100 bulbs plus the relay upgrade. They blow away stock headlights. Better than my modern vehicles! I have not tried other bulbs or lenses (Cibie), so I can't speak to that. May give the Cibies a try just for fun based on syncrodoka's recommendation.

FWIW... I've had both of my low beam (outer) lenses crack with GW's "Lens Protection Film" installed on them. They claim I'm the only one this has ever happened to. Whether that is true or not...

1. I think the protection film is a good idea (in theory) and continue to use it.
2. The warranty only covers the film itself NOT the lens. This is not GW's issue, it is the manufacturer's (3M's) issue. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grill/Light package? Reply with quote

The "cut and play connectors" that VC are selling look to be Jay's product(same picture). Wink
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grill/Light package? Reply with quote

^^^ I hope so! Jay makes the best products and should be supported by Vanagon owners and other vendors alike. Very Happy
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grill/Light package? Reply with quote

+1 on Jay's products and service!

I added the SA harness instead when I swapped my lights. Don't have the grill yet but something for the future. Probably going with the VC version, hopefully I can delete the harness from the kit.
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grill/Light package? Reply with quote

+2 regarding Jay's knowledge and willingness to help!

I've been emailing with him and he's been a great resource. I'm purchasing the VC full kit, but verified first with him that the relay kit and "cut and play" connector kit are both his products because I wanted to make sure I was supporting him.

I'm looking forward to more light!
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which supplier offers the better S. A. Grill/Light package? Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it's much appreciated!!!

I have been supplying Van Cafe' with relays and headlight wiring harnesses for about a year. They have been one of my favorite vendors for a long time, so I was really honored to offer my kits to them when they contacted me about working together.

The best high wattage bulbs I have found are the Osram Hyper H4's. They are available in 85/80W and 70/65 watt versions. I have found that the 85/80W actually put out more usable light than the 100/80W Hella bulbs. The overall quality of these bulbs (filament placement, glass shape and size) is much better than any other high wattage bulb I have ever tested or used and the average lifespan has been better as well. http://www.rallylights.com/h4-12v-osram-hyper-bulb-not-legal-for-highway-use.html

I still recommend the Cibie 7" from amazon as the best deal on a high quality headlight http://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-Light-Unit/dp/B008DQV88Q This headlight combined with the Osram bulbs is a fantastic combination and what I run in my '85 Westfalia.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: