Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EZY Awning user question - PROBLEM SOLVED!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: EZY Awning user question - PROBLEM SOLVED! Reply with quote

Anybody have a work around for the jack point limitation on a late van with side cladding?

I really don't like the idea of having to roll the wheel(s) over the little bracket thingiie.

What a pain.

Help, I am already disliking this awning with all the poles and crap....sigh...

Help!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)

Last edited by r39o on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll end up like me. You'll think it's a pain in the butt to put up and consider getting something else.

But through six years of vicious hail storms, a collapse from heavy snow, another collapse from rain collecting on one side (and me not paying enough attention,) several instances of serious abuse from severe winds (Moab, Red Rocks, Spanish Peaks,) festival hippies falling into the poles, drunk campers tripping over the lines, near death by being too close to a campfire, missing parts, bent poles, shock springs unwound, and whatever else gets thrown at it,

the damned thing won't die. It is possessed.

It is the awning that NASA astronauts should take into outer space. Navy Seals should use it for protection. It should be a refuge of last resort for hurricanes. We should all crouch underneath one in case of nuclear armageddon. You could put it in a pen with a pissed-off gorilla Samsonite-style and the gorilla would die of a stress-induced coronary before the EZ Awning gave up. It's the awning they used in Kuwait to put the oil fires out during Desert Storm. It is the Chuck Norris, nay, the Keith Richards of awnings.

The army which carries the EZ Awning before it is...invincible.

I never have really liked it, but we are attached for life.

It will probably be used to shade the mourner(s) at my funeral, then be buried with me. And I will still be bitching, from the grave, about what a hassle it is to put up.

Oh, and I just put the poles straight down with stakes and guide lines.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: EZ Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I did not like the wheel thing or poles and guide wire. So I got the jack points mount , loved them! In big wind I did mount the guide rope to the van. But two years later I got a shady boy, love it to. And when I'm rich and famous I will get a fiamma! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: EZY Awning user question Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Anybody have a work around for the jack point limitation on a late van with side cladding?
!

I've been considering this awning...what are the problems with the jack points?
thanks
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: EZY Awning user question Reply with quote

What I am looking for is a work around for the problem below that the jack point pole kit does not work with later vans with the side cladding;

goffoz wrote:
r39o wrote:
!

I've been considering this awning...what are the problems with the jack points?
thanks

from http://www.busdepot.com/jp7905

Detailed Description
Includes two mounts and two leg extensions. Attaches to your Ezy Awning in minutes, no vehicle mods required. Works under the tires of any vehicle. Also works in the jacking points of any Bus or Vanagon EXCEPT Vanagons with plastic rocker panel skirts. If you do not have suitable jacking points, we also offer a slightly cheaper version, the WM7905, that just works under your tires.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you make our own? A piece of pipe with a bolt going through it for the bottom of the pole.
Wing nut the pole down and you would need any additional wrench, or get fancy with a knob!
Then maybe another hole on the other end of the pipe for a bolt to be slide into without being
bolted. Would probably keep everything in place.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
a bunch a funny stuff

Thnaks joetiger, for making my morning enjoyable! Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for creating one. My issue with the jack point is the barrier it creates to the side. I just received the freestanding kit, and while I am not a big fan of guy lines, (they are guy, not guide, although the poles will be guyed), it worked great. I do have an idea for BusDepot or EZY, have the top curved in and down so you can set awning right at the van.

Not sure if I could do it with a conduit bender because it is thin wall.

As a non-jackpoint fix, angle the outer legs in at a shoter angle and stake the foot.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWYellowstone wrote:
I am not a big fan of guy lines, (they are guy, not guide, although the poles will be guyed)

Probably part of the reason I suck at setting the thing up. Very Happy

I will say, in the EZ Awning's defense, that during Syncro Solstice I compared mine with Farfrumwork's and it appears that my cover is about two inches too small for the poles, hence the difficulty in wrestling with the thing. Either the poles are too long or the canvas is too short, I suppose. It was odd to find that out after so many years of use. But even with a poor fit, the thing keeps on fighting.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far no more than vague ideas on how to do this?

Joe,

I bet they changed in later versions. Now they have a 2013 edition. So they do evolve as can be seen by all the variants and what not.

I do not need hurricane proof and believe one could do as well with a lighter duty setup.

-W

FYI: I have one of those $30 discount store ones to play with too soon. A buddy says they work fine for him. I am thinking I can make a PVC pipe thingie for the jack ports on the later cladded van to use with the lighter cheapie awning.

If I need storm proof, I can always use the EZY Awning or just have none and hide in the van during the storm!

joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: easy up awning Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus r39o if you need the free standing kit for your bus depot easy up I have a new one in the garage , you can have it! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: EZY Awning user question Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
What I am looking for is a work around for the problem below that the jack point pole kit does not work with later vans with the side cladding;

from http://www.busdepot.com/jp7905

Seems to me this is an easy part to fab.
I just recently made rocksliders for my van...for the jack point, I used heavy wall pipe and welded a 10mm nut in the end of the pipe.
If you slip the pipe in till it hits the stop, then thread a 10mm bolt in from under the car, it makes a very solid mount for what ever..in your case an awning.
Something like this could be installed and left in, ready to use, and esaliy removed when necessay
Hmmm Idea note to self...add awnng mounts to the top side of the rockslider Very Happy
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Oh, and I just put the poles straight down with stakes and guide lines.

This is the only way I ever put mine up. Going on 10 years now and true, it won't die. It's never failed me with stakes and guy lines. You might think it's a pain, but it will withstand 50 mph gusts and you won't be looking down the campground road for your awning in the morning.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit is usable in the front:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Back not good:

Also can not get locking knob in back:

Locking knobs:

goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are those things made of...looks like 3/8" x11/4" aluminum stock
could you just go to Home depot by some stock and drill and tap a facsimile thats 4"or so longer?
If you were closer I'd just make you some Very Happy
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slot milled out on the end to engage the tab at the end of jack port.

I could drill and tap a couple of holes too.

I was inquiring what other people had done by asking with this thread.

I am sure I could make something, I just really did not want to.

As stated in the past, I do not want to be an expert about every last thing I own......

I have the idea now what to do, I just was hoping I did not have to make anything.

goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
There is a slot milled out on the end to engage the tab at the end of jack port.

I could drill and tap a couple of holes too.

I was inquiring what other people had done by asking with this thread.

I am sure I could make something, I just really did not want to.

As stated in the past, I do not want to be an expert about every last thing I own......

I have the idea now what to do, I just was hoping I did not have to make anything.

Shocked Wow! Sorry, just try'n to be helpful, my mistake
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot does not have a mount for a van with cladding (I called them...).

They have no plans to make any either.

So here we go......I REALLY did not want to do this......

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONE!

Why or why could they not have come up with something them selves.....

UGH!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: