Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Homebrew 2.4 Waterboxer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Homebrew 2.4 Waterboxer Reply with quote

Folks,
Thought I'd throw my info into the mix. It all started about a year ago when I noticed a dpr 82mm crank sitting on a back shelf of my local shop. I thought what can I do with this??! I ended up using 96mm QSC shaved top pistons with stock length Scatt rods, stock style AMC heads with TRW valves, CB 2252 Cam (which I have already run in a bone stock 2.1 build using OE pistons and liners).

This combo was headed for sky high compression numbers... not much I could do. With a step cut in the head I was able to keep the static and dynamic ratio just below that of a stock DJ code lump. As such I thought I would give the porsche 1mm piston squirters a try at keeping the pistons cool, so adapted them to the case.

Other details- Deves rings, Stock cylinders bored to 96.05mm, schadek 30mm pump, pick up tube mod similar to 10C but with interference fit instead of o-ring, .040" copper head gaskets (annealed prior to install), 1.25/1 ratio rockers, stock hydro lifters

I have built dozens of stock air and water cooled engines and this one has given me an ulser.. worrying about every little thing. That said, I now have 100 miles on it and am beyond impressed. She sits in my wife's '86 syncro westy with 215 15 tires and stock gearing. I had an AA 2.2 stock compression top end in the previous power plant and this feels worlds different. Infact, I built a GW 2.3 "kit" for a friend a couple years ago that feels like a 1.9 compared to this. I live in an area that has hills that are over 12% gradient and i'm cresting hills in 3rd with partial throttle that I previously crawled up in 2nd mashed to the floor.

Now I know this may be very short lived due to the high compression. If it grenades in the next few hundred or thousand miles I'll build the same thing again only with some JE blanks with higher pin heights for a BIT lower compression. So far it has no perseivable ping, and I'm not the kind to drive around with my fingers stuffed in my ears.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any info to share regarding your Porsche squirters?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this.....

I have had a few similar Type iV engines grenade.

Not because of simple stuff like melting down a piston, but weird stuff.

Broken parts mainly which attest to the crap we have been getting these last years.

EX: Driving down the freeway at the speed limit and the crank breaking.
Or rocker parts failing.

Just weird stuff.....

Have fun!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your static CR is around 10.5:1? What octane are you running? Did you have to reduce the ignition timing?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Any info to share regarding your Porsche squirters?

Sure. I saw a blurry pic on the STF from years ago in an air cooled case. You drill from the main bearing saddles on a compound angle toward where the top (above piston pin) center of where the piston would be. Use a 1/4" reamer to taper the hole and drive them in. I destroyed a test case on the first attempt. Pretty straight forward except you need to weld a patch on the case behind the flywheel as the squirter bore for cyl number 3 daylights in the back of the case due to the casting profile. The 1-2 side also needs galleys added to feed them.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
So your static CR is around 10.5:1? What octane are you running? Did you have to reduce the ignition timing?

91 octane. I reduced oa timing from 45° at 3500 to 40°, but again this is really in its infancy. Idealy I would have run lower compression but I have read of folks running DJ's on 91 in the states using digifant... soo, it's not unheard of.
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jberger, I am half way through exactly the same build right now. How much did you shave off the qsc's? Did you do any clearancing at bdc? Did you knock back the timing in response to detonation or just playing it safe? I am currently debating cam choice. I have a 2280 here which I am not sure about fitted as it gives me quite high dynamic compression and cylinder pressures just over 200psi. If you are getting good or should I say great performance with a 2252 I might have to get one in and play it safe. Greg
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, just re read your post and realised you have ratio rockers. Now I am all confused again. Do you know what effective degrees your intake valve closes with the 1.25 rockers? Greg
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boof1306 wrote:
Ahhh, just re read your post and realised you have ratio rockers. Now I am all confused again. Do you know what effective degrees your intake valve closes with the 1.25 rockers? Greg

I did not degree the cam with the 1.25s, only measuring off the lifter. Remember stock are 1.1/1 not 1.0... I chose the 2252 as it is the closest to stock and with the ratio rockers the lift is also close to stock. In my measuring the stock cam intake closes 40deg abdc and the 2252 34deg. This does not match the card that came with the cam that states 59deg.. I assume the difference is in the larger diameter lifters in the water boxer as we were both measuring from .050 lift. I also noted the 2252 has no effective overlap at tdc where the stock cam has a few degrees and the 2280 has even more.

I researched the cams while building a stock 2.1 and chose the 2252 for that and was very pleased, quite torquey feeling compared to other 2.1 I've built using stock cams.

I can tell you that the idle in the 2.4 is rock steady and it pulls from 1000 rpm up, really coming into its own at 3000 up to redline.

The case needs a bit of clearancing as does the camshaft. If stock rods were used you'd need to grind ALOT more.

I had to trim my pistons in the neighborhood of .075". If I remember correctly
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think that makes sense in that the hydro cams spec cards are measured at 0 lift and the others at 50 thou. I am relieved to hear you got a figure of 40 at .050", as that doesn't put the 2280's 36 degree close out of the realms of possibility. Were your qsc jugs out of round? I am also using the scat rods. I wish I hadn't as their bearing cap has a central ridge which lines up with the bottom of the 96mm pistons. I cleaned up the casting ridge on the piston to provide some clearance there. I also machined back that ridge at the bottom of the cylinder bores in the cases. One cylinder I think it was number three has that extra web down the bottom, that needed a bit more taken out. I have yet to check for crank-rod-cam clearance but the crank with rods spun freely in the case. I have gone with a cut of .070" and am still waiting on the pistons to come back. So glad to here you are happy with the power, I would hate to do all this for not much gain. It just goes to show how much more power gowesty could get out of their engines if they got serious about compression ratio. Thanks. Greg
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boof1306 wrote:
Yeah, I think that makes sense in that the hydro cams spec cards are measured at 0 lift and the others at 50 thou. I am relieved to hear you got a figure of 40 at .050", as that doesn't put the 2280's 36 degree close out of the realms of possibility. Were your qsc jugs out of round? I am also using the scat rods. I wish I hadn't as their bearing cap has a central ridge which lines up with the bottom of the 96mm pistons. I cleaned up the casting ridge on the piston to provide some clearance there. I also machined back that ridge at the bottom of the cylinder bores in the cases. One cylinder I think it was number three has that extra web down the bottom, that needed a bit more taken out. I have yet to check for crank-rod-cam clearance but the crank with rods spun freely in the case. I have gone with a cut of .070" and am still waiting on the pistons to come back. So glad to here you are happy with the power, I would hate to do all this for not much gain. It just goes to show how much more power gowesty could get out of their engines if they got serious about compression ratio. Thanks. Greg

Yeah, my qsc jugs were beyond bad, so I had a stock set bored. I used the scat I beam rods, didn't have any issues with rod cap to piston clearance though.

I did the climb out of town today in anger... Foot to the floor 3k rpm in 4th, while riding the concrete barrier window down... No hint of ping. Think I'll bump timing back up to 45oa @ 3500. One problem with all the newly acquired power though... Gonna have to buy stock in BP!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a oil pressure gauge? I'd be curious to see how the squirters impact pressure under a few scenarios. I'm really intrigued with the idea.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Do you have a oil pressure gauge? I'd be curious to see how the squirters impact pressure under a few scenarios. I'm really intrigued with the idea.

I do have a gauge. 20psi hot idle 45psi at 3-3.5k. While climbing. 50psi on the flats. I have not hooked up the external oil cooler yet though. I was worried about the pressure loss so used a 30mm pump. This is also with the stock pressure relief spring and plunger
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would post another follow up of this 2.4 experiment.

I built a temp replacement powerplant to swap out and inspect the 2.4. It has run beautifully from day one, except an oil consumption issue (more on that later). The temp engine is loosely based on a 10c 2.2. This one is actually a 2178 with AA 95.5mm jugs, longer rods, trimmed pistons, a 2280 Eagle cam and some mild head work. The idle is a bit lumpy.... but What a GREAT little engine. It rev's out more freely then my 2.4 did and holds Almost as well up the hills. I have a test hill in my hood that is used to determine performance. Always in 3rd, I roll on the throttle from 30mph at the very bottom and see how it crests. The 2.4 would pull out to about 3800rpm and drop to about 3200 at the VERY steep top. This little guy will bust out to 4000rpm but is just a bit under 3k at the top. For comparison, an empty tintop syncro that I converted to EJ22 subie will only rev out to 3500 and is below 3k at the top.

Back to the 2.4..
I pulled the heads, cyls and pistons. Thinks look ok, just carbon'd up. I thought I would see some damage on the pistons from the abuse I've put it through.. but not even a mark. This thing has been going through oil pretty bad, 1/2 a quart every 200miles.. Less if I baby it, more if I don't.

I mic'd the cylinders and they are all still within .0001" (one tenth of one 1000th) of each other, in taper and round.
I also checked the ring gaps.. Interestingly, when new the top and scraper rings had .012" gaps, now they are all .018", some middle rings a bit bigger.
These were Deves rings and interestingly enough at the last moment I swapped in the QSC oil control rings (hastings single piece type with expander spring) due to fit issues with the Deves set, twice. The oil control rings have .025"+ gaps, they were not checked at install.

#4's rings looked to be aligned on the bottom of the cylinder... all others were still staggered.

I am planning to put it back together with the 2280 cam instead of the 2252 and the same head work that I did to the 2178.. but need to sort out if I actually have a ring issue, or.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: