Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front floor seat belt mount
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: front floor seat belt mount Reply with quote

In the middle of a full strip and repaint of my bus. Any suggestions on how to tackle this? I tried searching for similar metal repair threads but couldn't find anything.

I'm thinking of removing the spot welds and making a new piece.

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: front floor seat belt mount Reply with quote

while it's in place, drill the spot welds holding the nut plate

remove nut plate

make an oversized template of the area with the bolt hole in it (really just need to know where the hole was)

cut out bad spot

weld in new panel

drill bolt hole

plug weld freshly cleaned/blasted plate

plugweld back on to new metal panel you welded in

done!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: front floor seat belt mount Reply with quote

Skills,

Thanks. You make it sound so easy. It has taken me all winter in my spare time to strip the paint off the bus and now I'm starting some of the metal work. Not sure I'll have it on the road this summer. First time in 16 years but I want to do this right this time around.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: front floor seat belt mount Reply with quote

well, doing it right is key. it's a pretty simple/common repair. you'll be happy when it's all put back together. it stinks when you have put them into in-op status, especially since our season is so short to run them around

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: front floor seat belt mount Reply with quote

Slo - that's impressive resolve to do the full paint restore! Are you planning on hiring out the paint work or DIY? At some point, we'll have to at least get some touch-ups done, so interested in local suppliers. Following to see how it goes!

If your bus is on the DL all summer and you're getting antsy for some bus seat time... drop a line. Smile

Cheers,
Paul
Seahorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: front floor seat belt mount Reply with quote

What everybody seems to be missing is that this was a piece of metal on top of the metal behind the bolt hole, I have one on both sides of my 78 west and both have rusted out. It isn't a complete rust trough as you all assume and it is in one local where VW places a different kind of metal plug on top for some reason. That reason no one seems to know but I would be very interested in someone who might have an idea.
bullibene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: front floor seat belt mount Reply with quote

You can find a detailed repair description of the seat belt mount of me here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9756830#9756830

If the reinforcement that is sport welded to the inner wheel arch is still there, its a pretty easy fix. Drill out the spot welds of the reinforcement panel, cut out the rusted metal of the inner wheel arch and patch it with flat sheet metal and then sport weld the reinforcement back into place. For detailed picture just check the link above.

If youre missing the reinforcement piece and you're in need of a repair panel there is only one German supplier that offers the acutally in detail correct repair panel. I fitted one of them before and the fit is just perfect.

For early bay windows (T2a)
https://heckkraftmotors.de/Sicherheitsgurtaufnahme-rechts-T2a

For late bay windows (T2b)
https://heckkraftmotors.de/Sicherheitsgurtaufnahme-rechts-T2b-Bus

Instagram: 089garage
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: