Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Door Locking Knob Problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Sliding Door Locking Knob Problem Reply with quote

My 5 year son has just discovered that he can lock and unlock the sliding door by moving the locking knob up and down, this happened on the exact same day that I now have a problem with that same knob Shocked

It seems that when ever you shut the sliding door it locks and by locking and unlocking the front door (power doors) it reopens, it seem that the knob goes down but when you move it up it flops back down to the middle. I tried looking at it but wonder if the problem is with the actuator not moving through a full in and out cycle or is it a problem with something lose inside the switch?
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be a busted spring inside. often happens to non power lock slider door. On those, no way to get at spring so good hack is to unscrew knob and slip a small section of rubber tubing (like gas line hose) over threaded boss and screw back in. The tubing adds friction so the knob stays in position.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
might be a busted spring inside. often happens to non power lock slider door. On those, no way to get at spring so good hack is to unscrew knob and slip a small section of rubber tubing (like gas line hose) over threaded boss and screw back in. The tubing adds friction so the knob stays in position.

alistair

Hi Alistair,

I took another look at it from inside operating the front door knob and watching the sliding knob. When l lock doors sliding knob goes down and when I unlock from door sliding knob goes up and then flops back down just enough to lock, I guess it is some thing loose inside lock or as you said a pin is loose not sure if it can be fixed, not to keen on taking lock apart.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess with the power lock and the rubber tubing hack one would have to be more careful in sizing the length of tubing used. You want to keep your knob up, but not restrict getting it up Smile

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
I guess with the power lock and the rubber tubing hack one would have to be more careful in sizing the length of tubing used. You want to keep your knob up, but not restrict getting it up Smile

alistair

Alistair,

I owe you as beer for that tip, I took a rubber cover like the one that would fit
under the stove grill feet, cut the end off and slid over knob arm, worked like charm
DanoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics? Have the same issue just cannot see how this would work to keep the knob in the up position...Thanks!
yowlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue, but there appears to be something other than a busted spring going on. The switch stays in the down position and will not stay up if pushed up manually. Not even any resistance. BUT if I close both front doors and leave the slider open (stuck in locked position with button switch down), lock one front door (which activates both) and then close the slider, I can then unlock a front door and the slider will unlock and stay unlocked with the button in the up position. So there is something about the slider actuator keeping that button in the up position. But this doesn't fix the issue permanently. When I then lock a front door, it does not automatically lock the slider. Now the button stays in the up position, when it should have popped down. Then I work the slider door handle to open the slider, and the button pops down into the locked position. Fascinating/annoying . . . .
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanoS wrote:
Any pics? Have the same issue just cannot see how this would work to keep the knob in the up position...Thanks!

just this little bit of tubing gives the screw enough friction to hold it up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

82 Diesel Westy
yowlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue has gotten even more interesting. From inside the van (90 Carat), I just lifted and pushed down the driver's side door lock a few times. It got the slider actuator to work once or twice (only for unlocking), and the broken spring problem is now gone. The manual locking switch is fully functional and stays in either up or down position. I think the stuck down position problem, at least for me, may not be from a broken spring, but from being stuck between settings or out of phase or something. Maybe the failing intermittent actuator can leave it half-locked or something. Anyway, for those with this problem, try working the slider actuator a few times.
DanoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I bought the rubber grommet from Go Westy and it's the friction of the grommet against the opening that holds up the "screw"...Awesome workaround thanks guys it works...
misterG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fix for this problem. I found a guy in Germany that sells a replacement spring. It is a heavy duty improvement on the original, and a permanent fix. I installed it, and it works perfectly.

Here is the EBay item link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271867301258

Problem (for me) is he only speaks German, and won't ship outside of Europe. I was able to get around this by creating a German mailbox using this website:

http://www.mailboxde.com/

This service works great. They are very efficient and helpful.

In total, the spring cost me about $10 US, and it took two weeks to arrive.

I found all this info on this website:
http://www.bulliforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50760

There is a picture at the bottom of this thread showing the spring installed.

If you can understand German, you are way ahead of me. I had to use Google translate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: