Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pops out of 1st gear, slides out of 3rd
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Pops out of 1st gear, slides out of 3rd Reply with quote

I've used the search but I can only find threads on 4th gear pooping out, or rear coupler bushing, and shifter plate adjustment. However, my situation is different than what I'm reading about.

Here's the skinny on the shifting. Will pop out of first unless you hold it in. Then if your cruising in 3rd (not accelerating but coasting with no gas or very little gas) it will slip out of that gear. I have replaced the shift coupler bushing in the rear. Replaced and adjusted the front lock out plate to no end and can't find anything that works. Also I've adjusted the clutch cable to see if that would do anything, but it didn't really help much. Any thoughts?

The set up is a stock transmission for a '71 bus, with a 1600cc stroker motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to say, your transmission is probably shot. i had one do about the same thing years ago, and if you already did the basics, time for a overhaul.

if you absolutely need one, i may be able to be convinced to sell a known good one. might be convinced.......

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
sorry to say, your transmission is probably shot. i had one do about the same thing years ago, and if you already did the basics, time for a overhaul.

if you absolutely need one, i may be able to be convinced to sell a known good one. might be convinced.......

Thanks for the offer, but I have a back up I picked up for free at a parts score in Alexandria!

Is there a bearing in the nosecone that can be replaced?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer to purchase a known good one should always be considered. Last fall I did not find a good used transaxle (I always negotiate a 30 day return) till number four was installed. Your free one may be a winner, the only way to know is to get it in there and drive it.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
the only way to know is to get it in there and drive it.

Fingers crossed dude.

A buddy of mine made a suggestion, that the motor and transmission mounts may be worn and that is causing a pull on the linkage. Makes sense since it slides out of 3rd and 1st. So maybe I'll try replacing the front trans mounts and the two rubber mounts on the mustache bar first?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: