Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will not start?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Will not start? Reply with quote

I have the New Bus Project see earlier thread. Parked for 1 winter.

I was able to get keys cut and put in battery. Turn key I get oil and other red light, no green. The gas gauge reads nothing, but I put in 2 gallons myself. Read out did not change. I also could hear a little electrical sound, I think from the starter, but I did not try to start at this point. A humm sorta sound. Well I tried to turn it over, the belt turned the two wheels and sounded like a regular start up. Just would not turn over. I stopped and took out the key. The engine continued trying to turnover. I could not get it to stop. I had to reach in and pull the pos battery cable off. I got underneath and the starter was very hot on the back bolt. Should I replace starter?

Where do I go from here. Should I just replace spark plugs, buy rotor and dist cap, change oil, and starter? Not sure where to go.
farmersdahtr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor, I am no mechanic, so take my advice as you wish. I don't think you need to worry about the green light, I don't think there is one to be concerned about on that bus. The other red light is probably the alternater light and the fact that they are both coming on is good. If your bus is still fuel injected, the sound you hear may be the pump. It is located on the drivers side inside framerail next to the trans. That would be a good sound also if you want to keep the fuel inj. When you say the two wheels, I figure you mean the fan in the center of the engine and the alternator to the right. The confusion starts when you say it would not turn over. If the pulleys are turning, so's the motor. As far as the ignition prob, sorry can't help, I would guess the switch in the column has something to contribute. The bolt was hot because it had power for so long, until you disconneted the batt. If the starter is turning the engine over like you say, then it's probably good. I would certainly look at the plugs, air filter, points, cap and rotor, plug wires, and ABOVE ALL ELSE the condition of the fuel lines. I'm not going to say anything about fuel inj, because those checks could be two pages long. Just suffice it to say that the motor needs fuel, air, and spark at the proper time (and compression). So if you start to check these things like the books recommend, you will probably find your no-start problem. Dawn is breaking about now in ID so good luck, and take it easy. Dave
Thor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. I do have Fuel Injection, FI, I was implying the fan and the alternator as well. Say the engine was running but was just slugging thru. I will look at spark plugs, dist, rotor, Looks like I will need to brush up on FI as well.

But, When I removed the key why did it not turn off? I had the key completely removed from the ignition? Are you suggesting I check out the wire from the ignition to the Starter? Or that the ignition is just bad. Okay Off I go to the books, to see if I am on the right track. It always good to chat with someone, even if you do know where you are headed.

Thanks
Would like any other advice as well.
nothereanymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the starter sounds like a stuck solenoid. Next time you are under the van, whack the starter a couple of times with a wooden mallet or a big screwdriver handle. This may unstick it temporarily. The van has sat for a while, so making sure the fuel is clean is paramount. Check your filters, and maybe let some fuel run through the pump into a can to make sure it is able to flow. Yes, change the oil and clean the plugs.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor wrote:
But, When I removed the key why did it not turn off? I had the key completely removed from the ignition? Are you suggesting I check out the wire from the ignition to the Starter? Or that the ignition is just bad. Okay Off I go to the books, to see if I am on the right track. It always good to chat with someone, even if you do know where you are headed.

One suggestion is to check there is no power at the coil when the key is removed. If there is, there your coil is going to burn up while the bus is parked and the bus won't run well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: