Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me westy, AAZ? MTDI?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crank pulley is an easy mod. Get a 1Z or AHU TDI crank sprocket (with the D) and simply file a flat spot anywhere on the crank to that profile.
It needs to be press-fit, so go down just enough where it wants to fit, but doesn't slide on; the crank bolt will press it on.
I did mine at home (with the crank out of the block) with a dremel to get close then a flat file to finish it. Go slow, and check the fit often; if you go too big you'll have to weld it and re-shape.
Make sure you have the free-wheel clutch (TDI) pulley on the alternator, too, that's where all the stress comes from that eats up the AAZ sprocket notch; that alternator has got some momentum in it, and the way the diesel motor decelerates to idle rapidly causes big forces on the sprocket.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of last night's work [img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Step one of many on the mechanical is done!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's my tranny code? Maybe I'm blind but I can't find it. Thx
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock diesel transmissions codes are named for blondes - DZ and DM.

You will want taller gearing for either engine, but the TDI will require custom gears. AAZ is happy with stock WBX or air-cooled trans gearing. I think your $1000 estimate for the added cost of a TDI install is low unless you are comfortable personally re-gearing the trans and building the mTDI pump or doing the wiring and don't give any value to your labor.
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzy and dumb ?
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AAP box and a 1Z TDI and it's still too much rev. I agree with Andrew, regearing is preferred.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownBertha wrote:
if your mice were like mine be sure to rip out the dash and check the heater box. tricky mice.

Yep, I got a lap full of sunflower seed casings on a nice hot day when I forced open the vent on the driver side. I guess the PO never opened them.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rallyedude wrote:
Anyone need 1.6 na parts ? Cheap cheap ! Evidently not the bars , pan , tranny . But intake ,pulleys , alternator , etc . Lmk

Unless you are adding A/C, you might want to consider keeping the v-belt drive. It is less stress on the crank sprocket.
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now the van has no ac or ps . I'd like to add both eventually . I agree with you that v belts can cause less stress . But serpentine belt set ups are super reliable . I'll be running serpentine belt as an added bonus you get a more modern reliable alternator . Tore the trans off today , more cleaning . Found the code , dm . Also pulled off specific swap parts needed of the motor .
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Stock diesel transmissions codes are named for blondes - DZ and DM.

You will want taller gearing for either engine, but the TDI will require custom gears. AAZ is happy with stock WBX or air-cooled trans gearing. I think your $1000 estimate for the added cost of a TDI install is low unless you are comfortable personally re-gearing the trans and building the mTDI pump or doing the wiring and don't give any value to your labor.

If I were to put on of my AAZ's in it would be done as a full rebuild . I'd have @ 1K in it plus my time . My AHU is good to go except a t-belt. I'd outsource the pump work . So that offsets money saving of the ahu not needing a rebuild . Ahu will save on rebuild time . Either way I think I'd regear. Anyhow , I've got the choice of either motor . Theyre sitting at my shop . So , tdi it is . I will be building my own trans .
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading on gear ratios the dm code has a 5.43 r&p is that correct? It seems to be the numerically highest ratio you can get . I have trans from an 85 doka . I believe it should be a 4. 57 or 4.86 ? The case is shot . Any reason why that r&p wouldn't work for me ? I still have to see about 3&4 gears . But usually bringing down the r&p when you up power works well and helps cruising speeds .

What would be ideal r&p ratio and 3&4 to match ? That is running an ahu .
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rallyedude wrote:

What would be ideal r&p ratio and 3&4 to match ? That is running an ahu .

My AHU westy had a 4.57 R&P and a .77 4th, 3rd was 1.17 IIRC, and I had 27.5" tall tires (10% more distance per rotation than stock tire size) and I though that combination was just about perfect, 2750 RPM at 67 MPH. (vag-com for RPM And GPS for speed)

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the info .

Ring and Pinions switchable between different cases? That is diesel to gas cases . Different number of case ribs .

Who do you buy gears from ? Thought AA was the go to guy but apparently he wants to build transmissions not just sell parts . That's cool , and I get it . Just looking for another solution . Don't really want to ship my tranny to the other side and back when I'm comfortable taking care of it in house .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: