Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Case Thrust Cutting Tips / Porta-tool
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Thrust Cutting Tips / Porta-tool Reply with quote

like morolock say's, it's kinda simpole if you think about it ..and always bore a dead case with a unknown tool..
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Case Thrust Cutting Tips / Porta-tool Reply with quote

ACO
Welcome to The Samba.
I don't have anything to add to your dilemma but I would like you to consider posting your pictures on the samba. Sites like photobucket are know to change links and simply drop off the face of the earth and then what we have is a nearly useless post for posterity to learn from. I am currently behind a firewall so I can't see them even today. If I could, I may be of some help. Anyone else reading this please consider the same.
Thank you
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHAKERHILLVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Thrust Cutting Tips / Porta-tool Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but this is what I do to thrust-cut a VW Block with a ML-99 Mainliner. I line bore the block first, then I take all cutters off the bar except for the one at the flywheel bearing. I then install the thrust cutter bit and maneuver the bar so the thrust cutter is INSIDE the block. Then I mount the centering ring as usual to center up the bar in the block. Then I just barely machine the inside thrust surface until it cleans up, usually about .003/.005 is removed. Then I remove the centering ring and remount the bar on the OUTSIDE of the block to finish to the thrust dimension.If the flanged main bearing has gotten quite loose, it will pound the inside thrust surface as well as the outside thrust surface. This works like a charm. BTW, I would NEVER use the bar feed when doing this, BAD things might happen.
MJI-1198
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: