Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stumbling idle on 91 2.1
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ta373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

Hi all, had some odd behavior this weekend.

We stopped off at the market- about a 5 minute drive from the house, before heading off skiing.

The van started at home perfectly. Drove to the market perfectly.

When we came out after about 20 minutes in the market, the van started perfectly, but then the idle hunted around. Accelerator was unresponsive. Van almost stalled a few times. Pretty much felt like running out of gas.

Turning off the van, and restarting? POOF - van runs perfectly.

Is it the dreaded Vanagon syndrome? Van was in less than 5k miles ago for engine work (fuel lines and manifold/exhaust) as well as total cooling system replacement.

Would love any and all feedback - and thanks!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

Sounds like an o2 sensor issue. possible the shielding wore grounding out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

Definitely not the classic syndrome. Some experimenting with recreating the problem and noting when it occurs should provide some clues -- e.g. does it only appear after a few minutes running? Does it always occur under the same circumstances? Does the engine have to get warmed up or is it more time-related? Does switching the ignition off and back on clear it?
ta373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Definitely not the classic syndrome. Some experimenting with recreating the problem and noting when it occurs should provide some clues -- e.g. does it only appear after a few minutes running? Does it always occur under the same circumstances? Does the engine have to get warmed up or is it more time-related? Does switching the ignition off and back on clear it?

-Happens only after a few minutes of running - not something that occurs if we're driving along at speed

-Seems to happen directly after starting only if the van is allowed to idle

-Shutting off ignition and restarting does clear it

-Throttle becomes completely useless - I can be floored in 1st gear, and only
barely be making any headway.

-If I rev the engine above 1500 RPM just after starting, it seems to prevent it from falling into the 'stumble zone'.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

I am going to make a guess that a new set of spark plugs might fix this. My thinking is that on startup you are getting a miss and that miss is messing up the feedback from the O2 sensor. Shutting the engine off and restarting it again clears the miss and the O2 sensor is happy.
ta373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I am going to make a guess that a new set of spark plugs might fix this. My thinking is that on startup you are getting a miss and that miss is messing up the feedback from the O2 sensor. Shutting the engine off and restarting it again clears the miss and the O2 sensor is happy.

Ahh - ok, Van Cafe tune up kit ordered!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll post back once I've swapped plugs and wires.

Happy holidays!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

do the rotor too
ta373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

Will be sure to do the rotor too!
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling idle on 91 2.1 Reply with quote

I had some erratic idle problems and a couple of stalls that seemed to be related to my throttle position switch failing with my 2.1. In my case it was a mechanical switch failure that couldn't be solved by adjustment. That seemed to be the right moment for me to replace the throttle body with one of the rebuilt units with sealed bearings and new switch. The idle has been steady and no stalls since replacing it last year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: