Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Vanagon project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

I 've finally picked up my first Vanagon! Time keeps going but my obsession never sleeps! I wanted to piece together this page to help get positive feedback and guidance. so anything helps me as this is my first one! lets dive in!
(I got the Bentley manual for comfort Laughing )
the original registration was in the glove box and was last on the road in 2004!

what needs done:
the motor was dropped long ago and was being "repaired" but was left in half repair. bolts were broken, seals shot, pieces corroded.....(hence the list of parts written on the back glass). the transmission is in unknown condition but I plan to drop and go over. as well as the fuel lines, replace gas tank. oh! and the coolant pipes are completely rusted! (will post underside pics soon). thankfully frame is SOLID.

so all in all she is pretty to look at, but has lots to be done! Cool has the usual vanagon dings and dents. all will take time as this will be my winter project, but will always update! what do you guys think so far? Embarassed

the day I went and made the decision....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

complete original interior

stopping for a bite on the way back

backing her up to her new home!

all settled in!

she came with the original 1.9L but was long gone.
so I picked up this 2.1L for a steal and hope to drop in!

did I forget to mention it has factory speakers in the back but a radio delete plate up front? Rolling Eyes

also, can anyone help with the locking gas cap? does it have its own key or is the only key supposed to open it? if so its froze up Shocked
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

SWEET! Welcome the family! Smile

My locking gas cap is keyed alike to all my doors. I don't know if it was an option or a manufactured year-related thing . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

Nice project van. I assume the top on that Bay isn't stock.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

here are some pictures of the body underneath and frame Smile

this is from the passenger side facing the front, you can see the fuel pump and filter (all being replaced) here you can see the coolant lines that are all rusted. I've researched getting replacements and have plenty of questions about them.
1. should I stay with the stainless steel replacement kits?
2. everything says its compatible with the 2.1L motor, just want to know everyone's thoughts on this conversion?

view from driver side facing front, you can see the fuel tank from here.

view from driver side facing the rear.
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Nice project van. I assume the top on that Bay isn't stock.

thanks! I hope to get going by next summer!

and I asked the second I saw it Laughing
that was the sellers personal bay, a '69 bay window panel he converted camper. kind of mixed with parts from every other year
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

Not much of progress, but baby steps....wanted to treat all the surface rust. Winter is coming Laughing

(Yes my driver rear corner is dinged Rolling Eyes waiting on finding donor panels?)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

if you want to treat the rust, you'll want to cover that primer with something.
primer is NOT waterproof (unless it's an epoxy) and will make the rusting worse as you likely 'prepped' the surface rust by sanding to bare metal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
if you want to treat the rust, you'll want to cover that primer with something.
primer is NOT waterproof (unless it's an epoxy) and will make the rusting worse as you likely 'prepped' the surface rust by sanding to bare metal.

It was just a progress shot to show the areas before i continued Smile
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

Taking time today to address the engine bay situation,

Right hand passenger side if tranny, the dreaded rusted coolant pipes Shocked

Left side, relay box
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

The coolant circulation piping is going to have to be converted to the 2.1 or to the 1.9 set-up.

The 2.1 T-stat is not located at or near the water pump as with the 1.9. And, from there the differences get a little more complicated.

The Bentley manual will be of help to sort it out.

Nice project...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
The coolant circulation piping is going to have to be converted to the 2.1 or to the 1.9 set-up.

The 2.1 T-stat is not located at or near the water pump as with the 1.9. And, from there the differences get a little more complicated.

The Bentley manual will be of help to sort it out.

Nice project...

I have the Bentley, and thats the main thing I see I'd have to take time with, the coolant lines run differently. But are the pipes any different? The difference in the motors i see the most is the location of the thermostat and how the 2.1L has a distribution unit that connects to the pipes. The 1.9L thermostat was located in front of motor, so the cool lines run up and around.
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

Here's a shot of the 1.9L coolant line setup

And the 2.1L setup

From what i can tell i just re-route the top big hoses, connect my distribution unit to the pipes to the radiator and heat exchangers? The only thing that changes the setup is the location of the thermostat? And advice helps! I am a novice but this Bentley is a lifesaver! Cool
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

Yes I believe the coolant pipes are different from 1.9 to 2.1 cooling systems they end at different lengths. I would think you are interested in replacing the metal coolant pipes so I would consider purchasing which ever pipes match the cooling system you choose to run.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

ajdenette wrote:
Yes I believe the coolant pipes are different from 1.9 to 2.1 cooling systems they end at different lengths. I would think you are interested in replacing the metal coolant pipes so I would consider purchasing which ever pipes match the cooling system you choose to run.

Thanks for the help! And i never knew the real difference in the coolant pipes for the years Rolling Eyes haha

But my main thing is to replace the rusted pipes so once i put the motor in, all hooks up fine.
So should i go with pipes for a 1.9 setup?...keep it stock or just shoot for the 2.1 set? If so do they hook up differently to the radiator? Just curious. Haven't made my way to the front yet to see connections Laughing
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

You need to look at the illustrations in the Bentley (like posted).

Also, if I remember correctly, the diameter of the metal pipes coming/going to/from the front on the 1.9 engine are smaller than the same pipes (white plastic) on a Van that come with a 2.1 engine.

So, some of the rubber hoses might not interchange. And, the routing is obviously different.
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

Had some time to dig into the van some more. Wanted to check the front end components

Popped the spare tire out to see whats the verdict Cool

The view looking straight above the spare tire storage. Those crusty coolant pipes glaring at me Rolling Eyes
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

My condolences on the rust. I also own an '84 Vanagon that came from Delaware, and photos like these remind me of how fortunate I am rust-wise. I admire your bravery.
'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

Been some time, but a lovely day has finally tempted me to get started on the girl!
I've decided to start my rebuild from the front to back (radiator, coolant lines, gas tank, etc )

So first things first! Dropping the radiator!

Pretty nasty surprise popping the hoses off, but I have to say was expected.

Removal was fairly easy! Two hoses, electric fan plug, thermo plug, and the mounts!

Easy to say I'll be buying a replacement. Saw the fair price the bus depot offers, any reviews any one can share about it after purchase?
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

i have a brand new 1980-1985 grill for sale. Never installed. Let me know.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon project Reply with quote

My 84 come from north central Virginia. However, I don't think it had been driven very much, if at all on salted highways.

Well, when I got it, I stayed off the highways during the salt season....... until one night I had to make a trip to Knoxville, TN to help my son with his Jetta TDI (wouldn't start).

Well, the highway was loaded with salt... Now, two years later, even though I pressure washed it several times underneath, signs of the salt exposure is unbelievable... I noticed some surface spots down low (not seams) that seemed to just go on fast motion rusting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: