Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Lowering setup for comfort
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Best Lowering setup for comfort Reply with quote

Hi all. Im wanting to lower my DC T3 (Vanagon) but still want to have a comfortable ride. The roads are pretty shit where I live so dont want a harsh sporty feel just something that can handle the bumps. Any ideas
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such combo is available.
Lowering will allow for better handling, but the ride will feel a bit harsh at times and with certain conditions.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already have them, you could fit the factory Carat lowering springs. These lower the van about 1.25" and they still have enough travel that they ride well. Combine these with some Koni shocks and you will get a pretty decent ride. This is my favorite combo. But if you want to go lower, there really is no combo that rides well. The suspension travel just gets too short and there will be considerable harshness over big bumps.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
If you don't already have them, you could fit the factory Carat lowering springs. These lower the van about 1.25" and they still have enough travel that they ride well. Combine these with some Koni shocks and you will get a pretty decent ride.

I have this same combination in my 1990 poptop Multivan.

My family does not consider this an overly comfy ride.....they keep comparing it to our mushy Chyrsler Routan. Compared to the Chyrsler the VW is stiff. Sigh......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carat springs are stock, I assumed the OP was talking about lower than stock...like H&R, Weitec and others.

Yes, Carat springs and Konis is a good combo.
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Carat to H&R Sport and Koni's Reply with quote

I have a 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender hardtop which came with Carat springs stock. The ride was not low enough for me with my 17" wheels.

My stock height, measured from center of hub to bottom of fender lip was 15.5 - 15.75" all around. I don't know what sjhocks I had, but when I went over tracks, a bump in the road, or some sort of dramatic and sudden elevation change in the road, the front of the van bounced quite a bit for a few times after the bump.

When I started doing my research, I was concerned about ride comfort as well, but knew that I would deal with it if I got the desired ride height (visually). Also, nobody could give me an accurate answer as to what final ride height I would achieve with any of the springs out there (Weitec, CIP1, H&R, etc.). I bit the bullet and went with the H&Rs and I am very happy.

I had the shop put in H&R sport springs and adjustable Koni's when they were upgrading the brakes last week. I love it. Definitely an improvement, but also definitely a more firm ride. Unfortunately, I do not know what the shop tech dialed the koni adjuster to, but they did whatever was recommended.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Carat springs are stock, I assumed the OP was talking about lower than stock...like H&R, Weitec and others.

Which is exactly why I said, "If you don't already have them." The OP didn't state what year van he had, and I don't know enough about the Australian spec vans to know if his van came factory equipped with the factory lowering springs. They weren't stock on all models in all markets - even in the later years.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the roads really are shit there I wouldn't lower the van, just get yourself some quality shocks.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Which is exactly why I said, "If you don't already have them." The OP didn't state what year van he had, and I don't know enough about the Australian spec vans to know if his van came factory equipped with the factory lowering springs. They weren't stock on all models in all markets - even in the later years.

D

My bad....didn't read enough.

I have lowered a few vans.
Its fun for awhile, but gets old when the roads are rough.
If you go LOW, all the same issues presented with lifting to the max need to be taking into consideration and changes made.

My experience is with Weitecs and H&Rs mounted with Burley upper arms and camber correction plates between the rear trailing arm and bearing housings.
Drove straight as an arrow and cornered extremely well on 18" Porsche Twists.
I also had a few different 17s mounted, but liked the look of the 18s best.

If you want the "go kart" feel and handling, go for it Exclamation
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered if you flipped those camber correction shims
the opposite way if it would help aligns a lifted van?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't needed them in the rear of any lifted van...yet.
dspieg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Factory Carat springs? Reply with quote

And where does one obtain OEM Carat springs these days? I'd like to get a set (and Koni shocks) for my '86 tintop one of these days.
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see if the shop that did my install still has my carat springs, though I doubt it. Check The Samba classifieds.

I think Peter at VC told me that weitecs are similar in height to the oe carats. New springs would be better anyway I think.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Carat springs? Reply with quote

dspieg wrote:
And where does one obtain OEM Carat springs these days? I'd like to get a set (and Koni shocks) for my '86 tintop one of these days.

Maybe talk to Peter at Van Cafe? If they're installing different springs in Carats they should have some take-offs.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SouthOlive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My experience is with Weitecs and H&Rs mounted with Burley upper arms and camber correction plates between the rear trailing arm and bearing housings.

I lowered my camper with a Weitec/Koni combo and I love the ride. It would be nice to fix the rear camber though. Any ideas for camber correction plates? Brickwerks say they won't ship to the US and I don't even see them on their website anymore. Confused
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthOlive wrote:
Quote:

I lowered my camper with a Weitec/Koni combo and I love the ride. It would be nice to fix the rear camber though. Any ideas for camber correction plates? Brickwerks say they won't ship to the US and I don't even see them on their website anymore. Confused

Not hard to make them.
SouthOlive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for making them! I assume a proper diameter round stock cut on an angle would be a start. Any pics, drawings, measurements, and/or material suggestions would be appreciated. Smile
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are billet aluminum and are installed so not much help.
Essentially they are a spacer between the trailing arm and wheel bearing housing.
Off the top of my head...they are offset by 7mm.
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your thread title "lowering for comfort" uses mutually exclusive terms.

Consider that you're sitting over the suspension, and it's already pretty firm stock...and your roads aren't good. If you want low (and I love the look btw) expect a harsher ride as you give up wheel travel. Properly dampened springs are not harsh..but reduced wheel travel is.

So if you want lower, be prepared for a stiffer ride. Your tires have a spring rate too so you can compensate by lowering pressure with those inherent risks.

After many years of autocrossing a pimped 84 scirocco, I have zero interest in lowering my Westy, installing urethane bushings, or adding larger sway bars. If I want lateral G's I get my fix elsewhere Smile The car is a visceral blast to drive but the words "buckboard, filling loosener" etc. are often uttered with passengers. That said, a lowered Carat with fat wheels and power is pretty cool Smile
SouthOlive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mine are billet aluminum and are installed so not much help.
Essentially they are a spacer between the trailing arm and wheel bearing housing.
Off the top of my head...they are offset by 7mm.

Good info, thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: