Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Close 3rd / stock 4th Trans? Who's running one?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Close 3rd / stock 4th Trans? Who's running one? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this lately. I was thinking of a 4.12 R/P and a .93 4th. Not sure what 3rd or how the drivability of one of these combos would be. I want fun street, maybe autocross and 1/8th mile drag attemps. How bad would 1/4 mile be? I've screemed stock 3rds through the traps.
thanks
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3.78/2.06/1.41/.93 combo with a 3.88 r&p. I mainly built it for some 1/8th mile street racing a local group puts on at a small airport, and for that it works excellent. The rpm changes through 3rd are very linear, and consistent, and it would work well for autox also. It does have a very small rpm drop from 3rd to 4th, but everyday driving it's barely noticeable. I have a fairly small diameter tire, and I could run it out in the 1/4, but that would be pushing it. The rpm drop is more noticeable at the track, and I do loose some time by just shifting into 4th, but I'm able to keep pretty consistent times. If your pushing stock 3rds in the 1/4, you'll definitely need to shift into 4th with a shorter 3rd. My next build will have a 1.36 instead of the 1.41 to try and make a 1/4 in 3 gears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Interesting info.

Don't forget, that the earlier factory 3rd ratio was 1.32. I talked to a guy that actually built a trans using 1.32 and .93. Kind of a half ass factory closer ratio trans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also thinking about a a close 3rd and 1.00 4th with a 3.88 R/P. A similar final drive as a 4.12 and .93 4th.
I just understand how people drive around with a 1.14 4th. Yeah, yeah, I know a 5 speed.
I just want to really enjoy my car.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I at one time ran close gears (4.37 r&p, 1.48, 1.14, 185/70-15 tire) in my Cal Look street car. With my 1750 (that alone should tell you how long ago it was! Laughing ) it ran 14.6's and I drove that thing everywhere. 4, 6, and even 8 hours on the highway was possible; it just took a little longer to get there. When it was cooler out, 4000rpm (about 60mph) was possible, but when it got really hot there were times that 3200 rpm (not quite 50mph) was the limit if oil temps were to be kept at a reasonable limit. Fantastic on the street but it sucked big time on the highway.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one with a 412 r&p & .93 4th with 1.48 3rd,but havent run it yet, let us know how it works.I dont have a clue as to when I will get it in my car.....if ever the way things are going,no time for my shit.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are shifting into 3rd on the autocross course, you're on a BIG track. I can count on both hands the number of times I've used 3rd in 18 years and it's always been on a big open course like a runway or huge parking lot.

brad
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted express how versatile of a VW I wanted. The autocross in the area is small.
I have to add, timed attacks at the local .395 oval. I want to have fun!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Thanks. Interesting info.

Don't forget, that the earlier factory 3rd ratio was 1.32. I talked to a guy that actually built a trans using 1.32 and .93. Kind of a half ass factory closer ratio trans.

A 1.32 is a very early gear, and a .93 is a very late gear, and the transaxles they were each used in were completely different from each other. They can be used together, but it is by no means a "bolt in" modification. A 1.36/1.04 combo, and a 1.48/1.12 work well for rpm spacing if you're thinking about a 4th gear. Check out http://www.et-studios.com/motorsports/gears/gears.html for calculating ratios.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my transmission apart 3 times changing 3rd gears and could never find one that worked great for the strip and the street. I ended up back with stock. The problem was that when I wanted to be in 3rd gear, driving between 30mph and 40mph brought the rpms up WAY too much and 4th was too low to have any acceleration. Just my .02
-Boosted-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close ratio 3rd and 4th used to be popular back in the day when I first got into bugs (mid 70's) but it seems now that freeway flyers are the hot ticket. I suppose it all depends on whether or not your bug is a racer or cruiser. Wink
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
NJ John wrote:
.... the earlier factory 3rd ratio was 1.32. I talked to a guy that actually built a trans using 1.32 and .93. Kind of a half ass factory closer ratio trans.

A 1.32 is a very early gear, and a .93 is a very late gear, and the transaxles they were each used in were completely different from each other. They can be used together, but it is by no means a "bolt in" modification. ....

I built a such a low ratio gearbox for a guy who didn't want to spend the $ for aftermarket gears.
On a late German splined 4.37 R&P, I used a 3.78x2.06 1-2 mainshaft, then a 1.32 third, modified to work with the 002 mainshaft. Then used the .93 forth gear.
Drove it an hour on the freeway to the local track, then drove it home.
With about 180hp, it ran 12s through "stock" gears.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually the guy. Thanks for chiming in BT!
Sharig1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently running a 3.88 RP with 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, .77. With the turbo it's great running 1-3rd up to 100mph, still under 6k rpm. The car is ran on the street but was built for LSR. Highway cruising at 75mph at 3100 is nice and easy.

A closer 3/4 ratio wouldn't serve me well. A little taller 1st with a 3.79 RP or a different combination with a 3.64 RP. Looking into a new setup for 2013 but haven't decided yet.
~118 mph on the salt at WoS 2012, 7k in 3rd, can't wait to figure out how to drive that engine on that stuff.

1972 914/4, 1.7
1977 911S 2.7
1991 GTI 1.8 8v, 4speed-Sold
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: