Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine won't start - fuel leaking somewhere
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Engine won't start - fuel leaking somewhere Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt my engine and drove about 100 km with it already. The initial start after rebuild was fine but then starts became difficult and required long starts and full pedal press. A few days ago I discovered it won't start at all.

The carb seems fine, although after a few attempts to start I see fuel accumulating on the oil cover underneath the engine. I am unable to trace where this fuel is coming from. The carb, manifold, and fuel pump are all bone dry. In fact, the engine compartment is all dry and there's no evidence of fuel whatsoever.

When I try to start I only hear the starter- no engine cough or any other sound from the engine. I checked all wires connected to the coil. I took out a plug and had a friend start- there is a spark.

The only time I get engine cough as if it's about to start is when I spray a little carb cleaner into the carb.

I'm totally lost, please help!

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all fuel lines. Sounds like fuel starvation and maybe leakage.

Quick check-- take off the oil filler cap and see if you smell gas. If so, your fuel pump diahpragm is shot and diluting your oil with gas-- fix this immediately and change the oil.

Check the lines. There is a short rubber piece under the rear of the car near the tranny (between the tunnel pipe and the engine pipe). Also up front at the tank, of course. While at the front, drain the tank and replace the fuel sock at the outlet pipe. Blow the metal lines clear. If this doesn't do it, check for a faulty fuel pump diaphragm and stroke.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: