Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Volksrod Discussion Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy

If youz guyz plan to pull that off.....all I can say.....is......ya pretty Damn Brave! Applause
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a Volksrod once. I got the car for 100 bucks, and figured why not? It was a great learning experience, and gave me a good insight towards the contruction of these cars. Not to mention the fact that it was fun as hell! Twisted Evil

After I lost my hubcaps on a trip to Santa Rosa...

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmarcdude wrote:
I made a Volksrod once. I got the car for 100 bucks, and figured why not? It was a great learning experience, and gave me a good insight towards the contruction of these cars. Not to mention the fact that it was fun as hell! Twisted Evil

After I lost my hubcaps on a trip to Santa Rosa...

Clean! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
vaughn bros. wrote:

Very Happy

If youz guyz plan to pull that off.....all I can say.....is......ya pretty Damn Brave! Applause

Just for Fun photo from volksrod.uk for the brakephobic crowd. Very Happy
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After today..... On second thought...I think some of you may be right.... TheSamba.com crowd may not be ready for the Volksrods...

Example...
It amazing how fast rules change once a Corvair Powered Volksrod bust 9/10 of the field on its first run...... of drag racing FOR FUN... Bunch of Stock Nazi's...Um. Anxious The flyer reads.... Air Cooled VW's... Hello... it is air cooled.. Laughing\Oh new rule...it must be All VW powered.. Well ok then... what about those Dual Webers.. Oh and the Snail hanging tucked in the Ass end... Cool Must be some of that rare VW stuff.

Hahahaha... Honestly.. I love it... Cool

Its all good ...If you're turnin' heads, making people talk, point, and then they disqualify you.... Your doing it right.... I'm not going anywhere... Twisted Evil and there is no hard feelings in the end...
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carved up a plastic toy this week.

mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winning car was a naturally aspirated, "off the shelf" parts, well built engine. No "snail". Yes dual Dell carbs but that is well within in the VW realm.

You have a cool ride with a cool engine configuration but at a VW show you'd have to expect most would favor a VW powered VW over a "anything other" powered VW right???

Next April we'll bring one or two cars with VW power and break 9.50 so there won't be any questions. Very Happy

The margin wasn't that big this time even. Rob's car ran a 9.88 and (if I'm not mistaken) yours ran a 9.66. That's before fine tuning on his so I'm sure we can squeeze a couple more 10ths out of it.

BTW you are not even close to being the "odd man out". There isn't even a class that my square can "compete" in. Smile
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep if the "cookie cutter vw" running in the same realm as your 6cyl/half the car chopped off does causes distress what woulda happened if my lowly old square wouldn't have crapped a gen on the way down(well with less than 100miles on it i probably would've fought running it on the track) and been running right there in the same mix to?

ya seem like an good guy but you'd have to expect the pick at a vw show to be vw powered...
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you two run in packs all the time??? Wink

This may not be the right forum, to head off on this topic....but heres my counterpoint to my issue.
Guys.. really its ok. With you both driving Squares you already know the issues of being outside the norm. I love Squares and I'd be right there with you if I am ever lucky enough to find one. Being air cooled VW powered you can compete, but with an obvious weight disadvantage, I guess you mean... No Type 3 class... Right ? . It's your choice to be different, just as mine is. NOT A BAD THING IMO.. My ONLY real gripe about being disqulaified is the advertised drag racing was for Air Cooled VW's.. which Operation X is... I even asked in the German Invasion topic. Just maybe not specifically, because, those guys know me and they know what I run, and didnt bother to publicly mention... VW Powered Air cooled VW's only. Sure I realize being non VW powered would of course put in in question.. Corvair engines have been booted out of all VW racing since the 60's when the VW guys were really getting thier asses kicked. Today, its just a conversation piece, and something different, as sooooo much speed equipment is now available for VW engines, that makes them much faster, and fairly reliable compared to my ole Corvair dinosaur...

You know we had to split, so I guess Rob won the cash..? Wink
Good run he put down, good building on all parts, and we know theres room for more... Applause
I've got my own tweaking to do as well.. Twisted Evil So bring it on..
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
This may not be the right forum, to head off on this topic....but heres my counterpoint to my issue.
Guys.. really its ok. With you both driving Squares you already know the issues of being outside the norm. I love Squares and I'd be right there with you if I am ever lucky enough to find one. Being air cooled VW powered you can compete, but with an obvious weight disadvantage. It's your choice to be different, just as mine is. NOT A BAD THING IMO.. My ONLY real gripe about being disqulaified is the advertised drag racing was for Air Cooled VW's.. which Operation X is... I even asked in the German Invasion topic. Just maybe not specifically, because, those guys know me and they know what I run, and didnt bother to publicly mention... VW Powered Air cooled VW's only. Sure I realize being non VW powered would of course put in in question.. Corvair engines have been booted out of all VW racing since the 60's when the VW guys were really getting thier asses kicked. Today, its just a conversation piece, and something different, as sooooo much speed equipment is now available for VW engines, that makes them much faster, and fairly reliable compared to my ole Corvair dinosaur...

You know we had to split, so I guess Rob won the cash..? Wink
Good run he put down, good building on all parts, and we know theres room for more... Applause
I've got my own tweaking to do as well.. Twisted Evil So bring it on..

Your line of thought on" well its an aircooled VW "but has a corvair engine is a bit ridiculous. Dont you think? What is an aircooled VW to you or anyone? An aircooled VW is powered by an aircooled VW engine. If someone showed up with an aircooled continental V12 from a tank or an aircooled radial engine from a plane stuffed in the back of their bug and used that logic what do you think would happen?? It would be cool as hell to see, but I mean come on.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:
[ If someone showed up with an aircooled continental V12 from a tank or an aircooled radial engine from a plane stuffed in the back of their bug and used that logic what do you think would happen??

They would probaly win... as long as the rules didnt change after the event started...

I totally understand what you and all the other VW powered supporters are stating.. I guess the same theory should apply to air cooled Porsche powered VW's, or maybe even Type 4 engines in other Type cars...

Frankly my favorite type of racing, is mostly stock drag racing, slow vs slow, fast vs fast. No mods or very limited mods, now thats tight competition.

For the record I had a blast, and would do it again anyday, with or without the controversy.
I am not crying over spilled milk... just a little disappointed in the mid change of rules after the fact. I wasnt the fastest car of the day, but I was the fastest air cooled car and that cant be taken away..
I didnt even know I was disqualified until mxracer ( engine buddy for the winning car) informed me... at first yep I was irritated, but later just laughed it off... its 50 bucks and maybe a little braging. I asked the officials, (who I know), and they just said money is for VW powered.. I simply said thats not what was advertised.. I got deer in headlights... Shocked from them.

Congrats to you guys who pulled off the fastest VW powered run for that day you earned it...

If this is to be the Volksrod topic, can we just move past this. I didnt intend for this to escalate past my opinon and example. I was merely stating main stream VW followers may not be ready for non VW mold cars, thats kind of how this topic got started to begin with.

I appologize for this detour away from a potential good Volksrod topic. I just wanted to respond to mxracer, and luckstiff, both supporters of thier buddy NcDad....... the VW powered winner. Applause
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:

ya seem like an good guy but you'd have to expect the pick at a vw show to be vw powered...

Why? That confuses me. If you're going to say it has to be VW powered, I'd expect the show might need to reinvestigate what it represents. It sounds like 75% discrimination and 2% purist with a huge, heapin topping of jealousy. That's what most of us VW owners have fought against for years.

It's like the discrimination against Oscar Pistorius, the Olympic runner with artificial legs faced.

Shame on you people. Be happy there's a survivor out there. No matter what it takes to get from one point to another.
2008 Dodge Hemi That Does Awesome Burnouts
A shit-ton of antique bicycles
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

Of course I perform a good deed everyday. I want to kill someone, but I don't.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:

How could you do such a thing? That could have gone to some kid who appreciates having an unmolested toy! Now it’s just hacked up junk.

At least it’s not an oval!
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
vaughn bros. wrote:

How could you do such a thing? That could have gone to some kid who appreciates having an unmolested toy! Now it’s just hacked up junk.

At least it’s not an oval!

HA HA HA HA HAAHHHAaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Damn. Wink
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was going to have something to do with volksrods, but so far it seems to be mostly "panties in a wad" thread... can we get back to the volksrods please? or is this what volksrods are about?
'73 Sunroof Transporter
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
I thought this was going to have something to do with volksrods, but so far it seems to be mostly "panties in a wad" thread... can we get back to the volksrods please? or is this what volksrods are about?

Volksrods tend to get certain individual's panties in a wad. Kinda like yours are at the moment. I don't see anything off topic. Laughing

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Cool
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...in all seriousness. Volksrods by nature ARE going to get panties in a wad. As just outlined by Volkswagnut's experience at German Invasion. I personally know several of the people involved with that show and I'm shocked and immensley disappointed at the reaction to his Volksrod. It was pretty darn cowardly and stupid.

Like my own car that ruffles feather and wads panties, it's a characteristic of building and owning such a ride. Not everybody has the appreciation for the work and vision involved.
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us one more week and I will have something more to post. Chassis gets all welded up.

Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is none so blind as he who will not see...

Here you have been given a chance to show off volksrod cars. A chance to show the ingenuity of a Volkswagnut in doing an engine swap, the craftsmanship of a Vaughn Bros. in building custom parts, the attention to detail of a Modelmakerinc, the delight in discovery of a Tequila Sunrise building his first volksrod. A chance to garner support for your cause...

you make the choice of how to proceed from here, I've said my piece.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ vaughn bros. Lookin good!

Are those vintage torque thrust d's on there? (two piece) I used to have a set on my '68 Cougar, back in the day. Now it needs those spoked spindle mounts on the front, like's on something else on the right. Cool

(oops, that means no brakes...)

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: