Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Volksrod Discussion Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

Yes.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

finster wrote:
vaughn bros. wrote:
On eBay.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

back up for sale- nice shape but shame it isn't mid engined air-cooled...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volksrod-Hotrod-Custom-...:rk:7:pf:0

Gonna hate seeing this go without a bid.

OB Customs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

Well time to start a new project! I sold the squareback and I'm looking for a notchback project. If you know of something and want to share let me know.
Thanks,
OB
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

I have been toying building a Ratrod with a VW for over 14 years upon getting back into the VW hobby. I do not know why I have not done it until now. I have been busy and I am completing my 17th and 18th Dune Buggy Builds right now.

So this winter I will start on my Ratrod truck build to have ready for spring. I came across this '74 while looking for buggy parts, and it just triggered something and it is now waiting it's turn in the garage.

It will be a cab/truck style, but different than anything I have been able to look at. Kind of like all Ratrods, there exists no specific rules or guideline to build to, so they are mostly all different. Mine will be finish painted, and on a all tube chassis. I personally am not a fan of the bolt on beam extenders, but like the extended wheelbase. And because I drive the crap out of my VW's, it will have to be safe and comfortable, with heat.

Closest thing I have seen may be this one pulled off of the interwebs.

Like my buggy builds, I will post on here as it gets built to document what has been done.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

We with you man! ^^^
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

Like my buggy builds, I will post on here as it gets built to document what has been done.

Please do. Maybe even a start a dedicated thread for the build?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Please do. Maybe even a start a dedicated thread for the build?

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I am kind of tired of making dedicated threads. I have done soo many with buggy builds, that I am just tired of doing it. On this thread, the trolls seam to leave you guys alone.

Anyway, even though I am not going to get started until early Winter, I am in research and planning stage in my rest and down time. I contacted Fab Shop 104, (makes some very nice beam extenders) and asked some questions to educate myself. I guess with the expanding and cheapness of plasma tables, he may have thought I was asking trade secrets to start my own extender building business, and was kind of evasive with answers, other than saying he can build what ever I want.

I have no intention to manufacturing anything, I am too lazy to do stuff like make money. And I am not going to use an extender, just a full tube chassis. I have built several over the years for buggies, and can make one for myself the way I want it for cheap at about $ 500 for materials.

Cutting to the chase, my questions about the beam extenders are fairly simple. What is the extension length do they push the beam out and still stay under the VW hood? And how much of a chassis drop do they give?

I am very grateful if someone can provide those two dimensions so I can start some chassis calculations and drawings.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

So I'm having an issue with my front suspension choices. I was going to use Ford explorer 2wd a-arms, and that wasn't going to work as well. So then thought, well I have the super beetle front still maybe I'll use that. No go on that, as I would have to fabricate strut towers. So I was looking at it, and I have an entire type 3 front setup with disc brakes and here's my idea.
Cut the top torsion bars out, and clock the bottoms up higher. Weld the modified beam in place, and use some coilovers in the place of shocks to aid the bottom torsions. It's literally nearly perfect to have the shock towers ride right between the outer frame rails, with like an 1/8 of an inch to either side. The type 3 beans are wider then a beetle, but the super is larger then a standard beetle right? So what are some options on this guys?
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

Sqrbckguy38 wrote:
So I'm having an issue with my front suspension choices. I was going to use Ford explorer 2wd a-arms, and that wasn't going to work as well. So then thought, well I have the super beetle front still maybe I'll use that. No go on that, as I would have to fabricate strut towers. So I was looking at it, and I have an entire type 3 front setup with disc brakes and here's my idea.
Cut the top torsion bars out, and clock the bottoms up higher. Weld the modified beam in place, and use some coilovers in the place of shocks to aid the bottom torsions. It's literally nearly perfect to have the shock towers ride right between the outer frame rails, with like an 1/8 of an inch to either side. The type 3 beans are wider then a beetle, but the super is larger then a standard beetle right? So what are some options on this guys?

That's a territory I've never been in. Will the car have fenders?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

Sqrbckguy38 wrote:

The type III uses a stabilizer bar on the top, not a torsion bar. Only the bottom uses torsion bars, one for each side. If you remove the top and use a through rod, you will loose the stabilizing action, not soften the ride. Combining coil springs and torsion bars typically creates a harsh ride and is never recommended on the VW.

If you possess the ability to adapt a Ford A-Arm suspension to a VW, you then most likely possess the ability to cut the old front off of the SB chassis and weld on a beetle pan head, and extend the head at the same time. Then use a beetle beam, which is lighter and a closer suspension spring rate to your car. And much more tunable than the type III suspension. On type IIIs, a beetle beam is swapped in to get a better ride when lowering.

I have cut several SB chassis front heads off and welded on standard beetle pan heads. Not very hard, just take the time to get it straight.

Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

To clarify, this is a Chevy Luv frame, with the beetle body welded to the top of it. I couldn't find an old Ford suspension, but that was an option. I just thought this would be a better use of parts I have. There's 650+lbs in the front end with the Chevy 427 in-between the frame rails. I was looking at stiffer springs to help hold the weight of the engine. I'll take some pictures and load them up later for better reference.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72MUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

Nice to see that the tube framed predecessor to the KDF mangler , both built by Drew Strunk , has survived in good condition & is currently for sale !
Guess it was built 15 + years ago.

Imho looked better with deck lid.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2453279

http://www.speedhunters.com/2010/09/interview_gt_gt_drew_strunk_on_the_kdf_mangler/

72MUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

Ian Roussels latest !

Think rear uses a couple of type 3 decklids & sides are some of a Nash Metropolitan!

Volksride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

I have the rear lowered but that puts a camber in the wheels and I’m going through tires every 4 months. Is there a way to lower the rear while avoiding the camber in the wheels?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

Is it a swing axle or IRS bug? Different procedures for each.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Is it a swing axle or IRS bug? Different procedures for each.

IRS
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Volksrod Discussion Topic Reply with quote

People swap the rear control arms front left to right for extreme lowering. I never tried it. Do a search on it. Also check your inner control arm bushings. May as well start off with everything good.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: