Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah, I got my table and side panel installed:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bend that I showed in my previous picture was sufficient. I am going with the Carat/Multivan layout (pop top addition to come this spring), which has a different bench system than the weekender bench with the plastic kick panel. My arrangement looks like this:

I need to finish the jump seat install next.
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has posted photos and detailed information on making this transformation from 7-seater to a Weekender interior. Especially Greggearhead!

I am currently restoring/updating a 1989 Vanagon that has a very plain interior. Before I acquired it, was used for six years as a delivery van for local dry cleaner and then parked in a barn. Rumor has it (substantiated by some the records I received when I bought it) that it was originally intended to be used as a shop parts runner at Campbell Nelson VW north of Seattle before being sold to the owner of the dry cleaning business. It had the barest interior I have ever seen - gray tweed seats up front without armrests, rubber flooring up front, no tachometer, no headliner - basically a tin can. I am building out the interior and installing a Weekender bench seat that I have had in storage. Yes, it is about 4" narrower than the standard 7-passenger bench seat and I need these spacers.

greggearhead wrote:

Here is teh factory piece:

Ths screws into the factory mount on the body, then the seat bracket screws into it, in the 4 mounting locations. I had some square steel tubing that was clost to the right size, but not near thick enough for a stressed mounting location.

Drill a couple holes, add the grade 8 fasteners, and voila - close enough to factory, and hopefully stronger, even with *my* welds.

The spacers are relatively hard to find so I am going to fabricate them instead. Good excuse to buy some more tools! Very Happy Instead of welding a nut and a bolt to the newly fabricated spacers, couldn't you just use a single longer bolt that goes all the way through the square tube spacer block? Really weird that these are not metric bolts! Since I don't weld, that seems way easier. It might be harder to line everything up with the plastic panels in place and get the bolt and spacer secured to the body. Other than that, what would be the downside to this approach?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

So, there are a couple of issues w/ using a longer bolt through a bracket like that in this application. First issue is that those brackets are behind the plastic wall panels when you are installing the seat, so it would be near impossible to hold them in position while getting the seat lined up and the long bolt through. Second, if you tighten a bolt on an open square bracket like that it will just deform. You could use a solid block with a hole in it, but then you would still have the first problem.

Welding these brackets up is quite easy. If you cut the steel and get the hardware anyone w/ a welder should be able to weld them up for you. You could take them to a local mechanic and get them welded fairly cheaply.

You will also need to weld on the bracket spacers for the rear seat.
dumptdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlalomVan wrote:
Yes, it is about 4" narrower than the standard 7-passenger bench

Does anyone know the actual length of one or the other, Weekender vs. standard bench? If I was to go buy a loose seat, how would I know? I need a rear seat and cargo cushion for my '85 passenger van, but don't know how to tell the difference without reference. I bet there's an easy way to tell that someone could share...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

The metal frame hinges measure about 64” apart on the passenger seat and about 60” on the carat interior seat.
dumptdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks! So as long as I find 64" seat, no matter the year Vanagon, it should work with the securing pins?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumptdeluxe wrote:
SlalomVan wrote:
Yes, it is about 4" narrower than the standard 7-passenger bench

Does anyone know the actual length of one or the other, Weekender vs. standard bench? If I was to go buy a loose seat, how would I know? I need a rear seat and cargo cushion for my '85 passenger van, but don't know how to tell the difference without reference. I bet there's an easy way to tell that someone could share...

The square tubing is 40mm I recall, so that would be a more narrow set up by 80mm. I hope this helps.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: