Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heavy 2WD Westy, choppin up front tires..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timichango wrote:
I really don't want to deliberately rotate only to wind up with 4 damaged tires instead of 2... so a bit at a loss for how to assess this conclusively. There's got to be some way to simulate Snoop's theoretical 30,000' drop scenario...?

One method is to remove the spring and manually move the tire/wheel thru its entire range of motion.

Remember that the shock (length) is the limiter top and bottom in travel in the OEM design.

On the droop, the radius contol arm will bind at just beyond where the OEM shock limits travel. This is a good thing as it prevents damage to all the other bits.. like balljoints, tie rod ends, etc.

This exercise is also good for verifying that the new brake lines do not bind or hit anywwhere thru the travel of the front suspension.

In my own processing, I found that the WORST postion for tire damage is turned out just a hair from straight.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
This post just makes me shake my head. I've bitten my tongue until now and know I will regret this, but here goes. People complain about something not working and then blame others. "why didn't you tell me this would happen" Truth is you have completely changed the original design of the vehicle with different brakes, different wheels, different suspension, larger tires than was ever recommended for the van, then ask "why do my tires rub?"

It's because you changed everything.

Each componant taken individually may work, but the combination of possible componants makes it impossible for any vendor to let you know what will work with your van. Don't blame them for not doing your own homework.

That'd be true if the parts weren't sold to me as a complete system, and were picked by me individually without any thought to compatibility.

I'm not an automotive professional—and not even really an automotive hobbyist. I paid professionals for their 'expertise' in specifying a system that would work—effectively their role, in making a profit selling aftermarket goods as a system, is to do the homework you're describing and spec a combination that works. Otherwise, what exactly is their role or value proposition as a vanagon-specialized business?

I agree that it's unrealistic to think that any-old-combo of parts will work. But it's the role of the pros, making money in this (or any) niche, to make their living by providing options that will work, or being damned clear that they may not.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timchango - I wasn't referring to your situation specifically, but to some of the comments I've read throughout this post. I'm not familiar with your entire story.

I just assume it's my responsibility to know what will be ok or not. When I was in high school, I went to a tire shop and had them put way over sized tires on my truck. The tire guy said he didn't recommend it but I insisted anyway. On the way out their drivway I rolled the fenders as I turned the wheels because there wasn't hardly any clearance.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
This post just makes me shake my head. I've bitten my tongue until now and know I will regret this, but here goes. People complain about something not working and then blame others. "why didn't you tell me this would happen" Truth is you have completely changed the original design of the vehicle with different brakes, different wheels, different suspension, larger tires than was ever recommended for the van, then ask "why do my tires rub?"

It's because you changed everything.
Each componant taken individually may work, but the combination of possible componants makes it impossible for any vendor to let you know what will work with your van. Don't blame them for not doing your own homework.

Actually, in the case of timichango, SmallCar changed everything. They sold it all as a professional package install if timi's report is to be held true.. Thier products. Thier work. And then said "we've never had reports of tire damage using these products"

In this case THEY did not do the homework.

I don't read timi "blaming" Smallcar. He has asked Smallcar to solve the problem. Maybe.. maybe 3/8" of spacer will prevent the tires hitting.

Won't know til they run it thru its paces.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I just assume it's my responsibility to know what will be ok or not..

Typically, I agree with that sentiment entirely. However, I've been forced to concede over the years—much to my chagrin—that it's impossible to know everything about everything, and at some point you need to defer to and trust folks who (ostensibly) hold specialized knowledge that it would be way too time consuming or expensive to obtain oneself. Heck, I sell my specialized knowledge in another industry, so I know what the other side of that economy is about.

Unfortunately, I'm learning that not everyone entertains the same standard of responsibility when selling that specialized knowledge. Live and learn.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

Actually, in the case of timichango, SmallCar changed everything. They sold it all as a professional package install if timi's report is to be held true.. Thier products. Their work. And then said "we've never had reports of tire damage using these products"

In this case THEY did not do the homework.

I don't read timi "blaming" Smallcar. He has asked Smallcar to solve the problem. Maybe.. maybe 3/8" of spacer will prevent the tires hitting.

Won't know til they run it thru its paces.

Agreed—I don't doubt that Smallcar sold me this configuration in good faith at the outset, and I'm even willing to buy that they've not encountered this issue yet on other sales, though, as you say, PDX, the variables are numerous, and vans are all different, so mine may just get to be the proverbial canary in the coal mine.

I'll also say outright that I really like everyone, especially Keith, that I've dealt with directly at Smallcar. For what it's worth, I'd not even be citing their name publicly in relation to this if it wasn't their specific brake upgrade + wheel/tire package that was the culprit here.

They've been good about investigating what's up, and putting in free shop time (including a false-start on their part, trying to put in incompatible Syncro springs in place of the 2wd VC springs they claimed, after selling them to me, were too soft) to resolve the issue. They even comped an oil & filter change to make-up for the wasted time around that particular red herring.

Where things seem to be falling down is around an apparent unwillingness to consider the wheels as a mis-specified part, which is what's being asserted here by many. If it were my business, I'd eat the margin on this sale, make it right, and then use that as the basis for my future sales as an investment/insulation against future problems with future customers. But that's just me, and I'm not in their shoes.

We'll see if the bump-stops 'fix' the issue. I don't have the wherewithal to pull the springs out and use J_Dirge's method, so I'll just have to take some curbs like a maniac and see what's left on my wheels Shocked

But, time & money permitting, I reckon there're different wheels in this van's future. I generally don't like halfbaked solutions, even if they do work in the short run. Dad always used the saying 'you pay me now or you pay me later', and I've generally found it to be true.

Though, 'sometimes you eat the b'ar, and sometimes the b'ar, he eats you' might be more apt in this particular instance.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

In my own processing, I found that the WORST postion for tire damage is turned out just a hair from straight.

That's consistent with mine—anywhere between about 5-10 deg. of turn, and as little as a 3/4' 30 deg. + driveway bump at lowish speeds has done the trick in eliciting the BRRRRRRRRP of pain.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Timi, would these work?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1363168
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could add a Syncro subframe and a few other bits to be able to take advantage of the clearance.
I have built three faux Syncros for owners wanting a raised van without the limitations of the 2wd frontend.

Just an idea Idea
A new set of rims will be more cost effective, obviously.

I just sold a complete frontend...there is one in the classifieds at one third of what I fetch...in CO.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update, after driving around for some time in mixed conditions, I've not heard any impacts..

Course, I'm sure I still need to do some work to resolve, taller springs/shock would be the course I'm going to take..
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Hey Timi, would these work?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1363168

Thanks!

Those could very well be the ticket... Chris pointed them out as well—I'll be following up with him, and I'm already in touch with the seller. Fingers crossed...
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Hopefully this will put your issues to bed, and you can get out there camping before the snow flies!
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think while i'm not choppin immediately as a result to rolling fenders, I've still got some work ahead.

Course, I added a pretty heavy rear apparatus over the last month and a half, which seems to have countered some of the front weight, odd.

Not a permanent fix.

I am also finding running at the top of the Konis travel lenth isnt workin, its noisy..
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on my front: after much finnagling with options and timelines, here's what we wound up doing:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CLKs with T3 Technique center-caps & hardware. These definitely sit significantly more inboard than the SC alloys did, with no rubbing on the inboard side. Here's hoping this puts an end to my tire rub issues!

Huge thanks to Chris Schimke, and everyone who helped toss great insight at this problem.
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timichango wrote:
Quick update on my front: after much finnagling with options and timelines, here's what we wound up doing:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CLKs with T3 Technique center-caps & hardware. These definitely sit significantly more inboard than the SC alloys did, with no rubbing on the inboard side. Here's hoping this puts an end to my tire rub issues!

Huge thanks to Chris Schimke, and everyone who helped toss great insight at this problem.

Applause

Thanks for sharing the happy outcome with us timi...miles of smiles ahead for you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: